ok so ive run in a ditch in my playing.

mcr is too easy, but stuff like trivium is too hard.

i can play a lil bit of CFH, including parts of the solo. thats the hardest song i can play, but i cant get the intro to sound right.

help? how do i fill in this ditch?

im currently taking lessons for theory, as im in a band, and writing songs. thanks guys!
Some more recent Metallica (Black album and up), Michael Jackson's Beat It (The solo is pure sex).

Metalcore stuff is reasonably challenging if you look for the right bands, yet not too hard to play either.
Quote by The Casualty
Some more recent Metallica (Black album and up), Michael Jackson's Beat It (The solo is pure sex).

Metalcore stuff is reasonably challenging if you look for the right bands, yet not too hard to play either.

black album is recent? i just bought that album.......

i hate metalcore. i only listen to the new trivium.
new trivum = wannabe metallica

old trivium > new trivium.

anyway, your gonnw want to get yourself out of the ditch before you fill it in, because then youll be trapped in the ditch. so yeah, get out first.

but on the serious note, learn some metallica. i wouldnt bother with solos right now, if you wann have some fun go learn everything from kill em all, but i would NOT suggest metal militia, considering you sound as if your just starting out.
Quote by humperdunk

So I just woke up sitting in my desk chair, with my bong on the desk in a bunch of little pieces and my hand super glued to my penis. Speculations as to what the hell just happened and how to unglue my hand from my member would be appreciated.
its 1991...

heres some of my influences:

Metallica, Megadeth, Trivium, AC/DC, Poison, Clapton, MCR, Wolfmother, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Pantera

green = too easy

gray = can play some, then other parts too hard

red = too hard

does that help?

^ive been playing for a year and a half...
Last edited by Arlabester at Feb 24, 2007,
Dude, you've been playing longer than me, trust me. You'll be able to play Metallica, as well as Priest.
Try Yngwie malmsteen-Far beyond the sun. That song is perfect for your level. Alot of powerchords though. heh...

Possibly the only B.C rich fan on UG
Try some Guns n Roses...

Maybe Knock'n On Heaven's Door. The solo is easy...the whole song is easy, just alot of chords and arpegiating.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by The Casualty
Dude, you've been playing longer than me, trust me. You'll be able to play Metallica, as well as Priest.

??? at a year and a half, i dont think so.

i want to learn FWTBT but i dont have ride the lightning...
^Well, it's just mainly practice man. I've been playing for about 2-3 years so far and I basically gave up and went on and off on my first 2 years of playing. Honestly, all I played was blink-182, greenday and some other bands in those styles. I played horribly, I hat a squier strat pack, etc. Then I finally found the courage to start over about...last november or so? So I bought new gear and practiced ALOT. I just wanted to prove to people and myself that I could play the guitar...

Then after a couple of months later...I got ALOT better. I learned more in 2-3 months than in 2 years. So basically, you just need to keep practicing..find motivation and just go at it.

Also, get your metronome and scale and theory knowledge ready!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Are there bands you like and you can play but aren't too easy? Because your list is just too easy and can kinda play
Quote by Arlabester
??? at a year and a half, i dont think so.

i want to learn FWTBT but i dont have ride the lightning...

dude TRUST ME you can play metallica at a year and a half. if you can play megadeth you sure as hell can play metallica. most megadeth is a HELL OF ALOT harder than metallica. unless your looking strictly at countdown to extinction, and youthanasia. EVERYTHING else by megadeth is damn hard at your level. EVERYTHING by metallica is damn easy even at your level. with the exception of solos, and even those are only moderately challenging. you can definitely do it. also the guy who said dont play metal militia was crazy. that was pretty easy. jump in the fire is the only song youd wanna watch out for on "kill 'em all"

EDIT: also to me it sounds like you have a lack of motivation to keep you going. the first 2 years are always the hardest. ill tell you something that will IMMENSELY help you and make you WANT to play mroe than ever. find an AMAZING player. like malmsteen or paul gilbert, and IDOLIZE him. this player will usually come from your favourite band you said you liek trivium so im assuming youd liek matt heafy. STRIVE to be able to play like him, and you will progress because it will make you want to work harder. (remember that finding yourself a hero has to come naturally you cant force yourself or this doesnt work. you can never force yourself otherwise you will hate it.)
Last edited by pimpslap1236 at Feb 24, 2007,
Quote by pimpslap1236
dude TRUST ME you can play metallica at a year and a half. if you can play megadeth you sure as hell can play metallica. most megadeth is a HELL OF ALOT harder than metallica. unless your looking strictly at countdown to extinction, and youthanasia. EVERYTHING else by megadeth is damn hard at your level. EVERYTHING by metallica is damn easy even at your level. with the exception of solos, and even those are only moderately challenging. you can definitely do it. also the guy who said dont play metal militia was crazy. that was pretty easy. jump in the fire is the only song youd wanna watch out for on "kill 'em all"

EDIT: also to me it sounds like you have a lack of motivation to keep you going. the first 2 years are always the hardest. ill tell you something that will IMMENSELY help you and make you WANT to play mroe than ever. find an AMAZING player. like malmsteen or paul gilbert, and IDOLIZE him. this player will usually come from your favourite band you said you liek trivium so im assuming youd liek matt heafy. STRIVE to be able to play like him, and you will progress because it will make you want to work harder. (remember that finding yourself a hero has to come naturally you cant force yourself or this doesnt work. you can never force yourself otherwise you will hate it.)

well i idolize dimebag the most. i can already play stuff, but its just like... meh... i cant play this. its just killing my motivation to do anything.

^^ and no, there isnt. there seriously isnt.
I think the problem is that you are limiting yourself to a small spectrum of music. I might be wrong though....
It might help if you try some classic rock or blues. Try some Zeppelin solos, alot of them are somewhere along the technicality you are talking about.
Also try some SRV. Guys like Robert Cray or Buddy Guy also play great music.
When I am stuck in a rut I like to get out my comfort zone which is the blues and try some metal or something. For you it's the opposite. Give it a try.
Hope this helps
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
-Mark Twain
dying in your arms isnt so bad, its prolly there easiest song to learn. thats where i started to get better at solos and stuff, the solos not to hard and it has a simple sweep part in the end
Quote by acoustic87
I think the problem is that you are limiting yourself to a small spectrum of music. I might be wrong though....
It might help if you try some classic rock or blues. Try some Zeppelin solos, alot of them are somewhere along the technicality you are talking about.
Also try some SRV. Guys like Robert Cray or Buddy Guy also play great music.
When I am stuck in a rut I like to get out my comfort zone which is the blues and try some metal or something. For you it's the opposite. Give it a try.
Hope this helps

well i listen to clapton. and the clash. and SRV, and the flaming lips...
Buy a metronome if you don't have one yet. That helps alot.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Metallica is good as stated, you really can get it if you practice it hard enough. Also it's good you're learning theory, learn to apply it and you'll be inspired, trust me.
Quote by Shred_From_Hell
Try Yngwie malmsteen-Far beyond the sun. That song is perfect for your level. Alot of powerchords though. heh...

Of course, power chords. Yeah....

On a more serious note, try some Led Zeppelin solos? Pretty good stuff there.
what about anthrax? i love those guys, sadly i dont have an album...

people, i dont like metalcore. i like the new trivium.
Lol Judas priest is too hard? What even like breaking the law and songs like that after a year and a half i feeel sorry for you if that is the case
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by ScottishAngus
Lol Judas priest is too hard? What even like breaking the law and songs like that after a year and a half i feeel sorry for you if that is the case

no. hellz no. i can play all the early stuff, thats almost as easy as crapping.

im talking about the fast arpeggiation of the new(er)stuff.
Madhouse!!

I seen Anthrax twice, and they fucking owned that shit (With Priest, and one with Zombie ).