So, I just found out how to learn scales. But there is various fingerings for each? Why is that? Secondly, should I learn all the fingerings for each? Third, should I just start of by learning the basic major scales? (C D E F G A B etc.)
i can answer the last question , yes
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Quote by thedude051
So, I just found out how to learn scales. But there is various fingerings for each? Why is that? Secondly, should I learn all the fingerings for each? Third, should I just start of by learning the basic major scales? (C D E F G A B etc.)

1) It's because the notes repeat over the fretboard and transfer to other strings.

2) You don't really need to I guess, but it'll help a bit in understanding how they work.

3) I would start with the pentatonics (very practical and easy) and then move onto major and natural minor.
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

Quote by QuiteTheFellow
1) It's because the notes repeat over the fretboard and transfer to other strings.

2) You don't really need to I guess, but it'll help a bit in understanding how they work.

3) I would start with the pentatonics (very practical and easy) and then move onto major and natural minor.

so if the notes repeat, there has to be an original fingering or"box" as one person called it. So what is the original fingering? The first one?
aka John provided the answer for you dude. You want to learn all the positions of the major scale...you should be working on the 7 patterns (you'll be able to make the jump to modal thinking easier later on). There are a few reasons why you should learn and beable to play in all positions. Tone is primary. Different areas of the guitar provide different feels, tones, or vibes for you play. The guitar is capable of providing multiple variations of the same note. Multiple tones of the same frequency.

The second reason was also mentioned above...and that is visualizing the entire fretboard. If you learn all 7 patters and practice moving from one to the next up and down the fretboard your brain will be able to link, move, and transition throughout the fretboard.

In time...you'll be able to make tonal statements in your playing based on taking advantage of those areas in the fretboard that feel right for the song or the mood in a particular spot in the song.

cl
well if you want to play in different pitches, and create different sounding phrases across the neck. You hnestly dont think the same shape is gonna get boring? Plus then you get all the modal stuff which is required for applying the different shapes, whether you use them actively or passively. I donno if you feel happy doing the same shit go for it, but you'll get bored eventually.

Edit: sry misread your question a bit, bit of an ass, I am
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/hopscotch_method_part_1.html

Start with the minor pentatonic, then the major pentatonic and then go one with the major scale
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul w/ Killswitch
Fender 12-string Acoustic
Fender Champion300 (to be changed soon to a Tube Amp)
Ibanez TS-9 Overdrive pedal
Boss PW-10 pedal
Sorry Alex...he should not start with the pentatonic. Yes...it is easier to get going, but over the long run it is better to start with the Major scale. All roads lead from there. You get the pentatonic from the Major scale. The Major scale is the root of music. It determines the keys through the Harmonized Major Scale.

Start with the Major Scale. Learn the 7 patterns. Learn their root notes. Practice moving the around and playing through all of them in the same key. Then...move to the Pentatonic (Major/Minor) & The Natural Minor (which is the first modal application and a great start for that).

cl