Ok prepare to laugh for i have the ultimate nooberz guitar. Starcaster by fender

They aren't as bad as people say they are, i've been playing about a month short of a year so i'm still a beginner, but i've acquired tonal knowledge as most people who have played a year should i suppose. But anyway, after its set up properly and you get the dreaded strings that come with it off, it doesn't sound too bad. It aint a highway strat, but its not bad. Now my question is, would it be worth it to replace the bridge pickup with a seymour-duncan ssl-3 hot. Its only a 60 dollar pickup (i think, enlighten me if need-be) and i'm only replacing one since i almost never use the middle and neck pickups. So would this 60 dollar upgrade give me a little tone boost even though the guitar wreaks of agathis stench?
Fender CD-110E Acoustic Electric
Ibanez RG350DX

Crate GT30
Zoom 505 II
Digitech Df-7 Distortion Factory
I think you should save up for an epipfone or a cheap dean, instead of just hooking up a crap guitar that you probuly will not keep anyway
My gear
-----------------------------------------------------------
GIBSON LES PUAL STUDIO
MARSHALL 30MGDFX

other guitars
-WASHBURN ACCOUSTIC
-IBANEZ GSA 60
-BENTLY SERIS 10
yea i figured itd be better just to save the money. (o and just for the record i ridded myself of that crappy 10 watt amp that comes with the guitar. Got a crate 30 watt gt. it aint too bad. Unfortunately i have been stuck for the past week with the 10 watt again because i was putting my cables in the back of the amp and i poked a hole in the speaker. So i'm waiting for my replacement speaker to get here. Yea needless to say, im not storing my cables back there anymore. )
Ibanez RG350DX

Crate GT30
Zoom 505 II
if you want to go ahead and buy the pup you should. you can always take it out and use it in a newer guitar you buy later, but it wouldnt make the sound of your current much/any better at all.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

people always act like fender starcaster are that bad, theyre not, you should get good with that starcaster before you buy another guitar. i still own my starcaster and i still love to play it, the only real problem is the neck radius and the bends die out to quickly. other than that its a good starter guitar, so if your not good dont get a new one. plain as that
well i dont know really how to say. Powerchords are no big deal anybody can do that, but ive been working on alot of solos and i've started some sweep picking exercises. As far as what difficulty of solos i can play heres a ballpark, accurately= first half of "find the real" solo by alter bridge
i can play eruption but it is kinda sloppy and doesn't sound all that brilliant but im workin on it. however the tapping part i have down to an art, but it is tapping, not too much difficulty there. and as far as chords ive memorized the majors and some of the minors but i don't spend to much time with chords because i don't really fancy their sound with distortion and i like heavier/lead stuff mostly. So i dunno, im definately still a beginner, but i mean ive been complemented by guitar teachers in a shop here in town and they were surprised when i told them i just picked up a guitar one day and decided to start playing.
Ibanez RG350DX

Crate GT30
Zoom 505 II
no man trust me get a new one. i made the mistake. i started off with a squier 11 years ago. after a while it got upgraded with a new bridge, and pickups. and it made absolutely no difference to the playability/sound. the tone comes from the wood, and the word agathis makes me cry a little inside when its combined with the word Fender. my suggestion is to upgrade to a new guitar best suited to the style of music you play. for blues id suggest a REAL strat, or an epiphone les pauls so it doesnt cost to much. for metal, an ESP/LTD for supreme quality at a lower price, or a cheaper jackson (id strongly suggest the ESP low price jackson are not as good as low price ESP's and will cost more than alot of LTD's). for punk ill say a cheaper gibson, and for just regular rock, im gonna again say a cheaper gibson. dont buy a super high end guitar straight away, wait another 2 years. your talent develops the fastest, and you become a MUCH better player if you learn to make a cheap guitar sing, because then when you get a really great guitar it sounds amazing. look at all the best players. Eddie Van Halen basically played a hockey stick with strings.
i dont plan on ever learning sweep picking, not sure why a beginner would..
I haven't heard of eruption either? whats that?
eruption by van halen, you should really listen to it. If you don't have the desire to learn sweep picking then you may not be into the type of music eruption is. Its basically one of the most amazing solos ever. www.radioblogclub.com <<<you can listen to it there
Ibanez RG350DX

Crate GT30
Zoom 505 II
Quote by Stratohol
i dont plan on ever learning sweep picking, not sure why a beginner would..
I haven't heard of eruption either? whats that?

you yourself are lower than n00b if you've never heard of eruption. that makes me sad. say that in the metal forum or the pit. they'll eat you alive for that blasphemy. why would you not plan on learning sweer picking? every style of music uses it, and it makes playing quick licks a hell of a lot earier.
guitarfetish.com has plenty of cheap pickups. Good and cheap. I'd recommend spending as little as possible and saving money for another guitar. Once you get your next guitar, immediately start saving money cuz you will want something else. Like a better amp, another guitar, more pedals... it never ends.
Quote by Stratohol
just curious as a 1 year player how much do you know how to play?

People learn at different speeds...

As for the threadstarter...No, I say don't upgrade it at all. I say either sell it very cheap or give it to a kid who wants to learn how to play guitar...THEN save up for new gear.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I also have a Starcaster, and I've upgraded it quite a bit. Everything you upgrade it with you can always put into your next guitar if you want. So if you want an immediate change in sound, upgrade it. Mine sounds wayyyyyyyy different than the day I bought it. My guitar right now sounds better than my buddy's stock MIM Strat, and I've only spent less than $200 total on the guitar.

Just replacing the pickups, nut, and strings gave it such a better sound. I also set the trem into dive only for tuning stability since the trem on it is garbage. But yea... new set of pickups from GFS, GraphTech nut, and some DR strings and this thing sounds pretty damn tasty for less than $200
Quote by pimpslap1236
no man trust me get a new one. i made the mistake. i started off with a squier 11 years ago. after a while it got upgraded with a new bridge, and pickups. and it made absolutely no difference to the playability/sound. the tone comes from the wood, and the word agathis makes me cry a little inside when its combined with the word Fender. my suggestion is to upgrade to a new guitar best suited to the style of music you play. for blues id suggest a REAL strat, or an epiphone les pauls so it doesnt cost to much. for metal, an ESP/LTD for supreme quality at a lower price, or a cheaper jackson (id strongly suggest the ESP low price jackson are not as good as low price ESP's and will cost more than alot of LTD's). for punk ill say a cheaper gibson, and for just regular rock, im gonna again say a cheaper gibson. dont buy a super high end guitar straight away, wait another 2 years. your talent develops the fastest, and you become a MUCH better player if you learn to make a cheap guitar sing, because then when you get a really great guitar it sounds amazing. look at all the best players. Eddie Van Halen basically played a hockey stick with strings.

You realize that most LTD's under $500 are made of agathis, right?
I just don't see myself ever needing sweep picking. If alternate picking isn't fast enough for what I'm playing, it's probably not music..
It seems to me that most people are confused and think Agathis is plywood; it isn't. Agathis is actually fairly similar in tonal response to Alder. The sustain isn't as good because it is a lighter wood, but the tone is pretty close. The grain is also damn ugly, so it isn't good for transparent finishes... but does that really matter? All that matters is the sound. And as far as the sound goes, it isn't all that bad.
Quote by Stratohol
I just don't see myself ever needing sweep picking. If alternate picking isn't fast enough for what I'm playing, it's probably not music..

Yea its not music. In fact that is a horrible word for it. I think a better term is, The Golden Essence of the state of being in which we call, life.
Ibanez RG350DX

Crate GT30
Zoom 505 II