I'm looking for a starter guitar. Something good, but not too expensive, or something that cost, sounds, and feels super cheap either.

And yes, I realize it isn't a gibson, but I don't have 2grand to spend on it. And while this is coming from a total noob, I wonder if a gibson really SOUNDS 4 times as good, considering it's 4 times more expensive.
I'd say just get a standard if you're wanting a starter guitar. If you're new to guitar you're not gonna tell much difference if any at all in tone. Unless, like, you're wanting it for the white/wine red finish, then it's your money man. I have an Epi Custom and it's amazing.
I do want it for the color. I want the white, but not sure if I should be so concerned about the looks and pay over 100 more. I mean the standards aren't ugly by any means, but they don't look as cool as the white.

But do the standards sound similiar to the customs?
Quote by FacingUsAll
For a starter electric guitar, I think the very best is a Behringer iAXE393 for the following reasons:

1) It's cheap. Only $120.

2) The 3 Single coils will help you develop your ear because of the different tones you can get from 5-way switching.

3) It's got a trem that you can learn goofy trem-crap on .

4) It plugs into your computer and runs off of amp modeling software so you don't have to waste money on a crappy amp that you'll want to get rid of later on.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
My speakers suck serious **** anyway. That guitar sounds kinda....gimmicky. I dunno. I fear if I get something cheap, everything about it will be cheap, and then I'll get turned off, when if I'd payed, 2, 300 more, I could have gotten something "good". Not "great", or excellent, but good. Like a C+/B- lol.
I'm with facingusall.

You're a beginner and if can almost garuntee (If you haven't played any other instrument) that you're not going to REALLY know what sounds good and all. I say you should start with a cheap guitar which is going to be okay for someone who's just starting. You never know, you may quit and play drums the next day after buying your guitar!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
No, I'm a noob, but I know I won't change my mind. I'm 18, so this isn't some spontaneous decision to do something. I know I won't decide to switch to drums.

I'll look into what you suggested though. Though I don't think I'd go with the custom, and just get a standard and save 100 bucks, if I go with the epi lp.

Well whatever guitar I choose, what'd be a good amp? Preferably under 300.
Last edited by Symphonic Waves at Feb 24, 2007,
A micro cube is fun and maybe a cube 30?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Symphonic Waves
No, I'm a noob, but I know I won't change my mind. I'm 18, so this isn't some spontaneous decision to do something. I know I won't decide to switch to drums.

I'll look into what you suggested though. Though I don't think I'd go with the custom, and just get a standard and save 100 bucks, if I go with the epi lp.

Well whatever guitar I choose, what'd be a good amp? Preferably under 300.

That's exactly what my cousin said...and he quitted after 6 months,what a quitter...

The microcube is great,get it,it's portable,and you can also use an adaptor to power it
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Yes, a Gibby LP is at least four times the guitar that a Epi LP is.

Epi LP = LOL

Sorry, someone had to say it.

Hehehehehehehe.
Quote by LesPaulPwns
Yes, a Gibby LP is at least four times the guitar that a Epi LP is.

Epi LP = LOL

Sorry, someone had to say it.

Hehehehehehehe.

Hmmm, you seem like an elitist. From what I've heard, and all the reviews I've seen, even gibson owners admit that, while they are better then the epi's, they aren't 2k better. The improvement in the guitar isn't proportional to the increase in price.

I've got college, and just general savings to pay for. I don't have a down payment on a car to spend on a guitar. If I were a professional player, sure, as a hobbyist, I don't think I need to spend, literally thousands on a guitar right now.

And what kind of guitar do you own may I ak?
Last edited by Symphonic Waves at Feb 25, 2007,