Page 1 of 2
Hi, ive managed to save up approximately £1100 for a guitar and amplifier. Im having some real problems deciding what I should do. Here is my situation:
Ive worked out that once it reaches my birthday next month I will have approximately £1100 saved up for a guitar and an amplifier. Im due to play a gig a few weeks after my birthday also (we plan on playing green day (yeah i know but its easy to play) and maybe some heavier stuff). Basically theres no way I can keep any of the equipment I have now, the electrics in my guitar are broke, I threw my amplifier in the bin the other day because its broke, so basically I have no other option but to upgrade. So, ive been playing guitar for 5 years now, and I like playing lots of types of music, such as blues, a bit of metal sometimes but not too often (metallica mainly), lots of old rock (Guns n Roses mainly), some indie (arctic monkeys). Im looking for a guitar that would suit all of my styles of music.
Basically, I decided that about £700 on the guitar and £400 on the amp would be a good ballance.
The obvious guitar that would suit me would be a gibson les paul, however they are double my budget. I have thought about getting an epiphone les paul custom but to me they are a "newb" guitar (especially since my bro has an epiphone sg and hes only been playing half a year, and i dont rate it to be honest), and ive been playing for 5 years now, so I dont really want a newb guitar. Secondly I thought about maybe an American Fender Stratocaster, as they are in my price range and you can get good bluesy/indie tones out of them, however there is no way that they could do the likes of Guns N Roses, unless the pickups were changed which I really dont want to do.
For an amp, im pretty sure that I want a marshall JCM 2000 DSL401 because I have heard good reviews about them and they are quite versatile, they are £400 and fit into my price range. I have however found a website selling an Ashdown Fallen Angel halfstack for £400 brand new, which has tempted me, but I know that the tones out of that would never be as good as the marshall.
I have thought about saving up for a Gibson les paul, but I have a gig very soon, and even if I managed to save up the money for a les paul, I would never have enough to fund an amp also.
I was wondering what other people thought I should do? Cheers, I will be happy when this is all of my chest lol.
Cancel the gig. You'll have a thousands to play later. Buy a Les Paul and a something that has a ballsy sound, so don't buy one of those ****ing DSL or TSL. Maybe a JCM 800 or a JMP if you can find one.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
A Line 6 Variax 300 or higher might work for you? From what i heard they're actually pretty good for modeling guitars.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Epiphone Studio 10 amp
Line 6 PodXT - Should've got the PodXT live
Click for charity.
i stopped reading after you called epiphone a n00b. ur a loser if you think epiphone is n00b. alot of great guitarist who are definately not n00bs use epiphones. for example zakk wylde, tony iommi, john lennon, B.B. king, nikki sixx, joe perry just to name a few. they dont play them as their main guitas but they support them.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Vintage
Digitech RP 100A
Kustom Quad 100 DFX
Washburn D10S Deluxe (electric acoustic)
Quote by angusyoung_sg
i stopped reading after you called epiphone a n00b. ur a loser if you think epiphone is n00b. alot of great guitarist who are definately not n00bs use epiphones. for example zakk wylde, tony iommi, john lennon, B.B. king, nikki sixx, joe perry just to name a few. they dont play them as their main guitas but they support them.

Are you a retard? I said I think of them as "newb" guitars, which means guitars for people who are new to playing guitars. Dont get upset because I said something bad about you epiphone loser.

Oh and I cant really cancel the gug because its my band playing. Also, jcm 800s are too hard to find in England, ive tried everywhere, ebay seems to be the only place to get them but when I see them on ebay they are always battered to bits.

Quote by forsaknazrael
There's nothing wrong with high end Epiphones. You're making a bad stereotype, honestly. I have an Epi SG G-400, and I've made quite a few modifications to it. It's now a versatile guitar, and I would compare it to a Gibson SG Faded.

Cool, but does that mean that they need to be moded to sound good? To be honest I know its a gay reason but I think that my problem with getting an epiphone is that epiphone is seen as just a copy brand to a lot of people, and having something like "Gibson" or "Fender" on my headstock would be so much cooler lol. Also Ive heard that their quality control sucks (like gibson).
Last edited by david_safc at Feb 25, 2007,
High end epis are newb guitars? Don't pay for the name on the headstock mate.
Just get an LP custom/elitist.
Or better yet a Tokai/Agile.

Anyway at this stage you want to spend more on your amp, a better amp now will be less of a pain to upgrade.
Maybe a used JCM 800/900.
Vox AC30
Orange Rocker 30
etc.
dude calling people who are trying to help "retards" will get u nowhere
ive got an Ibanez Sa 160qm-am and they are an all rounded guitar, definetly in ur budget in look sexy, though i dont think the 160's are made anymore, the 260's are though

remember u can always go second hand
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Quote by Metal_Injection
dude calling people who are trying to help "retards" will get u nowhere
ive got an Ibanez Sa 160qm-am and they are an all rounded guitar, definetly in ur budget in look sexy, though i dont think the 160's are made anymore, the 260's are though

remember u can always go second hand

Yeah but he started calling me a loser. I respect his opinion that epiphone are good but if hes gonna call me a loser because I think that theyre more of a guitar for slightly newer players then thats stupid.
Meh, I respect your opinion thinking that epiphones are for beginners and all...in a way, I do agree, but I do disagree. It's going to be a great guitar for people who are on a budget, not everyone can afford a gibson les paul custom.

But like someone up there said, spend more money on your amp. And for the guitars...always try em' out before you buy em'.

I say just get an epiphone and swap out the pick ups for something else.

Also, one more thing. Guitars usually cost more because of their headstock; Gibson. Which is why I'm saying you have to try out the guitars...there's always a possibility that you'll find an epiphone that blows away the gibson to pieces.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Meh, I respect your opinion thinking that epiphones are for beginners and all...in a way, I do agree, but I do disagree. It's going to be a great guitar for people who are on a budget, not everyone can afford a gibson les paul custom.

But like someone up there said, spend more money on your amp. And for the guitars...always try em' out before you buy em'.

I say just get an epiphone and swap out the pick ups for something else.

Also, one more thing. Guitars usually cost more because of their headstock; Gibson. Which is why I'm saying you have to try out the guitars...there's always a possibility that you'll find an epiphone that blows away the gibson to pieces.

Yeah thanks for the input. I have nothing against epiphone, and may possibly end up getting one, its just I was pointing out that they can be generalised as a beguinners guitar. Also do you have any suggestions for the amp?
^Good man .

Uhmm..I'm not too good with handeling with euros... But I figure you can get yourself a nice tube amp with the left over money.

From my knowledge, you would have about 1,500 USD and I figure that whatever you can do (swap pups or buy used or whatever!)

I say check out jcm 800's (even if you can't find em', just keep em' on your list) and some laney's (contact Dave_MC for info, he's like tehz knowledge about those UK amps).

And do check out orange...please, they're amazing.

Good luck to you!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Laney tube amps would be pretty neat for you since your in the UK and all. The combo series are very neat and pretty good for classic rock and genres along the lines of that. You could push it to do metal if you want, but I think you'd need some gain pedals.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc30-212/378

The Laney head and cabs are absolutely amazing though, I've played through the GHL and it was bloody sweet. Pretty versatile too!

As for a guitar, you could get something instead of a Les Paul; I always found higher fret access poor.

Maybe try an Ibanez SZ or Schecter? They both have Mahogany bodies like Les Pauls but double cutaways for better access.

http://www.guitar.co.uk/ibanez/379-ibanez_sz520fm_electric_guitar
http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.1.1.1-64-226-38.8.100
Thanks guys, that laney looks pretty good. Im not a big fan of the SG but it looks good i suppose. What are the custom Les Pauls by Epiphone like?
The standard custom series, the £360 ish ones?

They're better than the Standards by far, but I'd personally advise you to get a Custom Flametop or Ultra if you're getting a non-elitist Epi Les Paul, they're the best models.

Epi also do a Studio LP Elitist: http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lp_studio_elitist_wr.htm

Exact same as the Standard elitist LP (http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lp_std_plus_elitist_fcb.htm) but with less by way of aesthetics.

I'd advise an Epi elitist, it may seem i'm a fanboy plugging them, but they really are that good.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^I've heard they're top notch quality for epiphones!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by MrCarrot
The standard custom series, the £360 ish ones?

They're better than the Standards by far, but I'd personally advise you to get a Custom Flametop or Ultra if you're getting a non-elitist Epi Les Paul, they're the best models.

Epi also do a Studio LP Elitist: http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lp_studio_elitist_wr.htm

Exact same as the Standard elitist LP (http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lp_std_plus_elitist_fcb.htm) but with less by way of aesthetics.

I'd advise an Epi elitist, it may seem i'm a fanboy plugging them, but they really are that good.

What is the difference between normal epi les paul and an elist? Is it the wood or something?
Elitist Les Pauls are made in Japan, with much better hardware, and probably better wood too, and guitars made in Japan are famed for their build quality.

Comparing a Epiphone MIC Studio and Elitist Studio, the Elitist has:

better build quality;
less chance of getting a bad one;
gibson USA pickups;
bone nut;
mahogany/maple body.

Wheras the MIC has:

poorer build quality;
more chance of a bad one;
cheapo muddy epiphone pickups;
crappy plastic nut;
mahogany/alder body.

That's just the specs, and you can see the difference there, but the main difference as well as all that is playability: the elitist plays a hell of a lot better, and that Elitist Studio is the same, if not better than, a Gibson Studio.
schecter c-1 classic, a very nice guitar.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
hmmm the epiphone elists look interesting. Can you get the standard in any other colour other than the one in the photo?
Quote by david_safc
hmmm the epiphone elists look interesting. Can you get the standard in any other colour other than the one in the photo?
Possibly, not sure if you can off thomann though, you'd probably have to go used...

Edit: The epiphone website also shows it in Vintage sunburst, actually.
Last edited by MrCarrot at Feb 25, 2007,
Quote by MrCarrot
Possibly, not sure if you can off thomann though, you'd probably have to go used...

Why? Are they rare or something?
Not so much rare as hard to get hold of, thomann's one of the only dealers i've seen selling them new outside of the US.

They are also top-end Epis so they're a lot more exclusive than the lower end ones. There's also Elitist LP Customs.
Quote by MrCarrot
Not so much rare as hard to get hold of, thomann's one of the only dealers i've seen selling them new outside of the US.

They are also top-end Epis so they're a lot more exclusive than the lower end ones. There's also Elitist LP Customs.

that sucks. Seems like it would be a great guitar for me too
Quote by MrCarrot
What's wrong with the colour of the standard on thomann?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lp_std_plus_elitist_fcb.htm

Would look and sound just like Slash's with open-coil Seymour Duncan Alnico II pros...

Oh my god no dont mention slash or i will cave lol. I love the guitar just i think that that colour is butt ugly, well on the pic it is, i generally find that they look better in real life. I'd like to try one out before I buy it but obviously theres no chance of that because no-one has them. I suppose i could order it then send it back if i dont like it...
Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah, that'd probably work, and thomann are trustworthy so...

It does look a tad better on the Epi site: http://www.epiphone.com/elitist/standardplus.htm

And I figured you'd enjoy the slash mention

lol. Yeah it does look much better on the epiphone website. The reason I want a les paul is basically for slash's tone lol. So basically these are like Gibson Les Pauls without the big names aint they (obviously not as good but close enough). Oh man the vintage sunburst is so sexy, if only they had those.
Last edited by david_safc at Feb 25, 2007,
ibanez ibanez ibanez

no comprimise

ibanez ibanez ibanez
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
They are indeed like Gibson Les Pauls, without the big name. Another pro about them is that they have really really good quality control, so pretty much all of them come out at the same high quality, wheras Gibsons are focused on getting as many out as they can for profit.

It sounds pretty much exactly like the Gibbo Standard, it plays better than a Gibbo Standard, too, in my opinion.

I got a splinter off a Gibson LP studio once, sort of proves their workmanship ;d

Plus if you really want Slash's tone, drop a pair of (uncovered) Seymour Duncan Alnico II pros in there.
Quote by simon4145
A Line 6 Variax 300 or higher might work for you? From what i heard they're actually pretty good for modeling guitars.

This is good advice. I have a variax 500, the actual guitar itself is very nice quality, the modeling is very good, even though some of the patches can have some minor errors (mainly the sitar/12-strings)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by MrCarrot
They are indeed like Gibson Les Pauls, without the big name. Another pro about them is that they have really really good quality control, so pretty much all of them come out at the same high quality, wheras Gibsons are focused on getting as many out as they can for profit.

It sounds pretty much exactly like the Gibbo Standard, it plays better than a Gibbo Standard, too, in my opinion.

I got a splinter off a Gibson LP studio once, sort of proves their workmanship ;d

Plus if you really want Slash's tone, drop a pair of (uncovered) Seymour Duncan Alnico II pros in there.

Cool, im really tempted to get it now lol. I will have a search around see if i can get the vintage sunburst model from anywhere but if not i think i will just settle for this one. Thanks for the help
No worries, you won't be disappointed

Watcha gonna do 'bout the amplifier/gig? Save up a bit more/longer, borrow one or get a different one?
Quote by MrCarrot
No worries, you won't be disappointed

Watcha gonna do 'bout the amplifier/gig? Save up a bit more/longer, borrow one or get a different one?

I may be able to convince my parents to lend me some money to get the marshall jcm 2000
Quote by david_safc
Cool, but does that mean that they need to be moded to sound good? To be honest I know its a gay reason but I think that my problem with getting an epiphone is that epiphone is seen as just a copy brand to a lot of people, and having something like "Gibson" or "Fender" on my headstock would be so much cooler lol. Also Ive heard that their quality control sucks (like gibson).

I'm not too concerned about the headstock, honestly. Once people hear how I sound, and see how I play, that's case and point, right there.
As far as modding goes, I'd say with a pickup change, maybe change the nut to bone....and you can get some good tones outta them, if you buy one of the higher end models.
Most of mods that increase its playing value would be like electronics mods, like adding a series / parallel switch, treble bleed, etc.
I changed my bridge and tuners as well, and it definitely helps, but it's not necessary.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Feb 25, 2007,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Once people how I play and how I sound, that's case and point, right there.

Didn't get that bit there?
Page 1 of 2