So I have been playing awhile and im tired of my squier. Im on a budget around 300-500$ and i want a new guitar. I listen mostly to metal and hardrock (A7x, in flames, iron maiden, children of bodom, shadows fall, BLS, etc.).

Iv been looking at some guitars and i really like the feel of jacksons and ibanez's. Their necks are just great and I just love to play them, they both feel about the same.

One thing thats hard to find is a ibanez/jackson/schecter whatever that doesnt have FR trem on it. Im not totally sure im willing to deal with a FR and I really like the pure simplicity of a tune-o-matic or just string through. Most ibanez's in that range are FR's it seems and same with jacksons, they are even more expensive.

Anyone have any advice on if i should just get an FR trem or find a guitar with just a regular bridge. I have tried les pauls, but their action and feel just feels less than that of an ibanez/jackson. Anyway, what would you guys recammend?
I recommend you go to several guitar stores and play as many guitars as you can... then buy the one that you like the best! DO NOT BUY FROM A RECOMMENDATION ON A CHAT FORUM!
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
man jacksons are great. i have a older one and i LOVE it. great thin neck which is great for shredding. and the floyd is great, dont have to tune and can do some crazy shit. but its annoying cus i cant change tunings fast. but their stock pups arent that great. id suggest getting a JB or Burstbucker in if you get a jackson.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
what the hell is a tar?
Fender CD-110E Acoustic Electric
Ibanez RG350DX

Crate GT30
Zoom 505 II
Digitech Df-7 Distortion Factory
Quote by viginti_tres
what the hell is a tar?

lol

Yeah, first step in buying a guitar...don't call it a tar.

Go to a big music store...like Sam Ash or something, and test the guitars that you may like. Don't judge just by sounds either. Judge how comfortable it is and how thick the neck is (depending how fast you want to play)

With the type of music you listen to, I think an Ibanez would suit you.
Quote by viginti_tres
what the hell is a tar?

haa
Quote by benenov
love is when a girl can fit both my balls in her mouth.
lol yeah i just need opinions/advice as much as i can, this will be a big purchase. The 2 best guitars iv played where ibanez and jackson. The ibanez was an RG and was about 400 and the jackson was a dkm or something dinky but was about 600. I think jacksons are a little more pricey than ibanez and from the specs are virtually the same. The thing is the locking tremolos? Im still fairly new to guitar i guess and i like switching tunings everynow and then so FR might be annoying.

On a side note, I really like the sound of zakk wylde, the gibsons he has sound spectacular. Can ibanez or jackson get the sustain or sound that an epiphone(which i could maybe afford) can?
Haha, sigged.
On topic - I bought my ESP LTD in a guitar shop, I really didn't know much about guitars that day. Luckily the guy that was showing me the guitars in the store was honest about things such as one guitar that was really cheap because it was previously owned by a little girl that had glued on little beads to the headstock. The store had to pry them off so they could sell it, this left dents all over the top but it was under 200 dollars. I chose mine mostly on the way it looked (silly me). I got to play it before I bought it however, and I chose the one without the finish on the back of the neck compared to the one next to it that had same looks and all but with a finish on the back of the neck and the head. I chose the one without the neck finish because it felt sticky. They were both the same price, 270$
My Gear:
Gibson ES-335 (Dot)
ESP LTD MH-100QMNT
Spider III 75W
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Crybaby Wah
Epi Valve Junior Half stack
DS-1
Line 6 Floor Pod (FOR SALE!!!)
Quote by ratzgame
Haha, sigged.
On topic - I bought my ESP LTD in a guitar shop, I really didn't know much about guitars that day. Luckily the guy that was showing me the guitars in the store was honest about things such as one guitar that was really cheap because it was previously owned by a little girl that had glued on little beads to the headstock. The store had to pry them off so they could sell it, this left dents all over the top but it was under 200 dollars. I chose mine mostly on the way it looked (silly me). I got to play it before I bought it however, and I chose the one without the finish on the back of the neck compared to the one next to it that had same looks and all but with a finish on the back of the neck and the head. I chose the one without the neck finish because it felt sticky. They were both the same price, 270$

lol how is that on topic at all?
Normally I would ***** up the parker name, but if you like those bands, think about an Epi Les/SG or (as much as I hate to say it) an Ibanez.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
every SG i have played i cant stand. As for les pauls, they are ok but definatly alot different than an ibanez.
Quote by mattldm2003
I recommend you go to several guitar stores and play as many guitars as you can... then buy the one that you like the best! DO NOT BUY FROM A RECOMMENDATION ON A CHAT FORUM!

+ about 10 000, i gotta say though u can most definitely go wrong with a low priced jackson. there low priced guitars are honestly not good. Ibanez is a little better but they suffer the same problem. there high ends are so high end hat they forget about there lower end for players on a budget. Id say ESP guitars for that style of music. cant go wrong with them. ever. seriously they have NO problems except cost.
mattldm2003, you have one hell of a metal rig right there! wow i want that stuff
If you want a guitar with a FR style trem, check out the Ibanez S Series. The ZR trem is pretty innovative and good.

If you want a guitar with simple bridge, theres tons! Ibanez RG321MH + pickup swap, some Schecters, Jackson whatever.
Yeah its sorta come down to the guitars i like with fast necks and best for shredding have FR bridges. I usually have bad luck with mechanical things and I know if you dont know what your doing with an FR or floating bridge you can definatly get ****ed. all the guitars that dont have an FR have the stupid Fender style bridge, i have basically the same thing on my squier and i really dont like it, tune-o-matics are so simple, easy, and work the best. I really would get a les paul but they definatly dont play like an ibanez.
Quote by viginti_tres
what the hell is a tar?

guitar...

minus the first three letters lol
Ibanez prestige series. No floyd.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
schecter c-1 models...great guitars... low end jackson tend to not be that great however... in my experiance... i do howerver like the ibanez sz series
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Def cant afford a prestige, and the SZ doesnt have a wizard neck, which are like heaven. I think i might just have to side with something with an FR. Jacksons are out of it, they are to expensive for me, schecters and ibanezes are abuot the same, but i dunno, im still looking alot.
Quote by EpiPaul
mattldm2003, you have one hell of a metal rig right there! wow i want that stuff

thanks!

To the Original Poster:

Low end Ibanez guitars are actually built quite well and play very nicely. I have played many Prestige model Ibanez guitars, and they are nice, but I dont feel they are worth 3X the price of the non prestige models. MY Ibanez RG3EX plays wonderfully and I paid less than $300 for it.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Dean ML 79. nuff said
Quote by Joey Walker
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps

Quote by Shib
The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.