i know that theory is very important, but it gets said a lot here on UG when people give advice to noobs that without theory, you aren't a proper guitarist, and you can't compose your own songs, and you cant be in a band. thats kinda true, if you wanted to make a hardcore awesome song, but you could just learn 3 or 4 cords and strum them and make up something simple, eg, wish you were here, and wonderwall, amazingly awesome songs. as far as solos go, that would require a bit of theory to make a good one, but if you are really dedicated and talented, and if you played for hours and hours a day, you might become so comfortable with the guitar that you teach yourself which notes and which combinations sound good, and with a bit of tinkering and practice, you could make your own songs and solos and be in a decent band without theory. that being said, i realise not every noob is the next jimi hendrix, so go get lessons and learn a heap of theory to become awesome. im about to get lessons in a week, i should have done it heaps sooner
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
they're all sheep rats into shred and sweep picking
ignore them
theory isn't even all that complicated anyway

I mean if theory is just what scales to play, chord progressions and what not.. it's child's play
^ ...?

Theory just increases your knowledge of the instrument and music you play... You don't have to learn it, but it's useful.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
My friend knows no theory, it took me forever to convince him that you cant do powerchords using the top 3 strings if you in a drop (non-standarized) tuning, like drop d or drop c.
This is an extremely debatable issue but cobaindrix speaks words of wisdom. I know many guitarists who are extremely good that only picked up tidbits of theory here and there. And there NOT all shredheads. Well okay, A lot of them are...but I've also met blues, country, latin players, a countless amount of singer/songwriter guitarists, and uhh, well a "countable" amount of funk guys too. And obviously, you can tell many guitarists who have "made it" in the industry have no clue to what a key signature is.

Then there's people like Charlie Christian who just pick up guitars and reinvent jazz. But then comes the factos of luck and/or musical prodigys.

The guitars enourmous versatily and popularity allows people to learn without going through the tedious and boring process that other instruments require. Hell there's even tab for classical! It's a double-edge blade for us.

Though in the end - If you're not a prodigy, don't want to put it all on fate, and not only want to be a great guitar player but a great musician, you better freakin know what a key signature is.

uhh, just a side note to toddpens8771, you can definately play a power chord using the top 3 strings in any drop tuning - in any alternate tuning. You might want to un-convince your friend there.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
^ ...?

Theory just increases your knowledge of the instrument and music you play... You don't have to learn it, but it's useful.

yeah, it just makes things easier,and takes you out of ignorance
and if you played for hours and hours a day, you might become so comfortable with the guitar that you teach yourself which notes and which combinations sound good,

what's the point spending months, possibly years working that kind of stuff out when it's already been done. There's no point re-inventing the wheel.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
you better freakin know what a key signature is

What is a key signature?
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by sTx
What is a key signature?

each key has its own unique signature. This allows a key to cash personal checks.
Quote by sTx
What is a key signature?

It tells you what key you're playing in, or if you cant identify a key just by looking at the key signature, what notes to play sharp, flat or natural.
Member of the "On the Right Track" club. PM Michelangelo193 or raise_the_dead to see if they approve of your "On the Right Track"-ness
I am Spartikus

Tremulous name: <CD>Mustang?
...just STFU and learn your theory. Anyone who says you don't need to learn theory is leading you astray. Learning theory is just knowing more about the notes and knowing which notes sound a certain way, making playing, writing, improvising, composing, whatever else much easier.