I'm listening to the song by Meg & Dia called Indiana, and the song starts out with palm muting and has some power chords palm muted in parts of the song. I can't get such a pure sounding mute (oxymoron?). I am using an effect pedal with low distortion, my bridge pick up is on. My guitar is okay I guess, its and ESP LTD model is MH-100QMNT. I'm using a practice amp, 10 watts. Anything I can do to get a better sound?
Don't press it to hard, and get close to the bridge...really close.
Well what do you mean my "pure". I mean does it not have enough sustain? Is it not muted enough? You just have to find the right pressure to apply. Just teach yourself how to make it sound good. Oh and try different methods. My friend likes to use the part of his palm by his wrist. I prefer to use the side of my palm (the side running from wrist to pinky of course) Just keep working on it.
Fender CD-110E Acoustic Electric
Ibanez RG350DX

Crate GT30
Zoom 505 II
Digitech Df-7 Distortion Factory
It varies too from guitar to guitar, theres usually a sweet spot you need to find.
Quote by TSelman
Don't press it to hard, and get close to the bridge...really close.

thats how i get my palm mute sound that i like.
Quote by benenov
love is when a girl can fit both my balls in her mouth.
close to the bridge, and not too hard resting your hand on the strings depending how deep you want it. same with picking the strings.. power chords? dig into those strings gooddd. they're being muted.. there's nothing wrong with picking 'em extra hard to get a nice chug-a-lug (ok I don't know what that was supposed to mean) out of them.

practice.
Quote by Oligarchy
SGRocker0791 and Raijin.xiii are ass holes in case anyone was wondering.

Quote by jimmyjimjim
try not to be such a dick

Quote by jdotp
thanks to the ignorant prick
Okay, picking harder seems to be what I needed. I also need to change the strings >_> they are like from winter break...
I'm a noob and hadn't changed mine for two years. don't blame it on your strings its all technique.
Quote by Oligarchy

Quote by jimmyjimjim

Quote by jdotp
I said that I needed to pick harder too... that was the main problem. One of the strings is dead because the twelfth fret harmonic is slightly off sounding compared to when I press down all the way on the twelfth fret.
I was kidding. easy.
enjoy!
Quote by Oligarchy

Quote by jimmyjimjim

Quote by jdotp
I'm a noob and hadn't changed mine for two years. don't blame it on your strings its all technique.

2 years???? Any strings more than a couple of months old will sound like absolute shite for anything, including palm-muting...unless they're elixirs or something similar. Old strings could be part of the problem, you aren't going to get that percussive chunk out of dead strings that have no percussiveness left in them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Some/all of these should help

1. Turn the gain up
2. Pick harder
3. Mute harder/softer
4. Use heavier guage strings
5. Only downpick
6. Use a heavier pick
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by Firewind Raging
Some/all of these should help

1. Turn the gain up
2. Pick harder
3. Mute harder/softer
4. Use heavier guage strings
5. Only downpick
6. Use a heavier pick

+1
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
im surprised no one mentioned the fact that he owns a 10 watt amp might be the reason why his palm muting sounds weak.