im considering getting a macbook and i was wondering who here has one, and do they think they are good ? i will be using it for various multimedia things, and schoolwork etc. the specs are

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB RAM
80GB hard drive
Double-layer SuperDrive
13 '' screen

the price for it is $2099 AUD. soo ... good choice ?
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
get a bigger HDD... otherwise not terrible specs, even though I'm not a mac fan
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
Macs are awesome! i just started using them in my multimedia tafe coarse and for multimedia they are perfect
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
once you use the macbook you'll never get a windows computer again, unless your crazy into video games
Quote by sowhat360
once you use the macbook you'll never get a windows computer again, unless your crazy into video games

I've used a Macbook, and personally, if you're too lazy to learn how to find good multimedia programs for a PC using Windows, then you deserve to overpay for a Mac.
mmmk.
I too am getting one in a few months, but I ask this....

you can run windows on the newer mac computers, but will PC games run well on it?

I hope that makes sense.
Quote by Maus24
get a bigger HDD... otherwise not terrible specs, even though I'm not a mac fan

yeah it has options to upgrade up to 200gb , though i might just stick wit the 80gb and buy an external one.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
My macbook is fast as hell. It also gets really really wicked hot.
But it rocks. The built in camera is cool.
I personally prefer windows for my audio recording, but thats because I cant afford any of the decent programs for macs.
Quote by dennmetal
I too am getting one in a few months, but I ask this....

you can run windows on the newer mac computers, but will PC games run well on it?

I hope that makes sense.

You can run Windows on th Intel processor based Macs but you will need to download "Boot Camp" which I think is free but I'm not sure. This allows you to boot in Windows however, you still need a copy of XP Service pack 2, you don't just magically boot in Windows. Or you can buy the Mac programme "Parallels" this allows you to run Windows as a kind of application (again you'll need a version of XP Service Pack 2, Parallels is cool as Windows is treat like an application that runs in Mac OS so you can minimize it and have a game running in that while running a Mac only programme at the same time in OS X). I've never used either, it might be worth checking TechGuy forums ask people who've used it on there.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by blynd_snyper
they're great. i've got an ibook, my dad has an powerbook and my sis has a macbook

they are brilliant computers, well worth it.

I never did understand all the different 'books can you explain how they're all different??
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Cal UK
I never did understand all the different 'books can you explain how they're all different??

the ibook is the old version of the macbook and the powerbook is the old version of the macbook pro

the macbook pro has better specs than the macbook, but it is more expensive. it is made of metal instead of plastic.
I really like Macs and their notebooks are great, but there's one thing that's been bugging me about Apple computers recently and that's that some "older" Mac software doesn't run properly on Intel Macs. And don't expect people at the Mac store to tell you about it.

Software that was written for the Power Mac processors basically has to be emulated, OSX does this with a piece of sofware called Rosetta that "translates" in into computer code that Intel processors can process.
But this makes some of those programs a lot slower, much less stable and very heavy on your resources. Some older programs work flawlessly, others work very poorly.

Most companies have released updates to optimize their programs for Intel Macs, so that wouldn't be too much of a problem if it weren't for the software package that the majority of computer graphic artists use: Adobe CS2. After all, Macs are famed for their power and efficiency in the field of computer graphics.

Adobe Creative Suite 2 STILL hasn't been optimized for Intel Macs yet. In fact, the updates they did bring out only seemed to make things worse. Photoshop, Imageready and Golive are pretty stable but Illustrator and Indesign crash ALL THE ****ING TIME. Illustrator is nearly unusable because it crashes whenever you use the pathfinder, which is one of the most important tools when drawing. Indesign is... acceptable. But currently, CS2 is running faster and more stable on my $1000 home Windows XP machine than on my $5500 work Mac, which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
When you're exporting a pdf and it stops and tells you there isn't enough memory while there's 4 effin gigabytes in there, you know there's something wrong. But apparently, 2GB isn't enough because before we upgraded to 4, it was much much worse. FOUR GIGABYTES!!!! What kind of a retarded shitmachine needs 4 gigs of ram just to create a simple pdf?

It's not just me, everybody in the office who uses an Intel Mac and Adobe CS2 has the same problem. Lots of people do, go ahead and google it. It's usable, but too unstable. The frequent crashes are very annoying and i have to reboot at least twice a day because shit just locks up.

But on my old G4 with Adobe CS1, i hardly ever had a problem. I just hope these problems are temporary and that Adobe will release a stable version soon. But they haven't, while the problems have existed for at least 6 months.