hello everyone. i just have quick question on amp effects and stuff. I went to sam ash today, hooked up an american strat on a microcube and boy was i amazed at the little thing. It could be because I'm a noob thats only been playing for 3 months. Anyway, I came home and I wondered if I would get better sound on a Behringer GM108 or any 15 watt amp and a cheap effect processor like a digitech rp100 for like 30 bucks on ebay than the microcube, I know that the microcube has portability, but the main thing I'm asking for is sound. So if anyones knows if amp+effects > or < microcube and its built in effects, please let me know! Thanks!
Quote by Blacksun
hello everyone. i just have quick question on amp effects and stuff. I went to sam ash today, hooked up an american strat on a microcube and boy was i amazed at the little thing. It could be because I'm a noob thats only been playing for 3 months. Anyway, I came home and I wondered if I would get better sound on a Behringer GM108 or any 15 watt amp and a cheap effect processor like a digitech rp100 for like 30 bucks on ebay than the microcube, I know that the microcube has portability, but the main thing I'm asking for is sound. So if anyones knows if amp+effects > or < microcube and its built in effects, please let me know! Thanks!

Stay away from the RP100, the FX sounds aren't all that great

If anything other than a Roland cube, go get a Yamaha Magicstomp MKII on ebay for cheap.

these units are great and I use one with a micro cube sometimes.
what im asking is, are amps with no built in effects + a effects processor better than the microcube for a cheaper price?
Quote by Blacksun
what im asking is, are amps with no built in effects + a effects processor better than the microcube for a cheaper price?

Well you could get a fair priced standard amp and a magicstomp processor for a good low price.

On the other hand, the microcube on its own is a great amp at a low price.

I've never really looked at standard amps and FX and compared it to an amp with built in FX.
Quote by Blacksun

Generally, onboard effects and onboard distorion on amps is better than pedals and multi-effects pedals.

But in some cases, like a Line 6 Spider II, on-board distortion/FX sucks.

And some pedals, like my Zoom GFX5, has decent FX and distortion.
hmm, i really gotta try this out.. compare microcube fx to offboard processor + amp
thanks.