I was visiting a relative in Florida (which I have been doing annually for years). After reading Jaco's biography, I remembered the name of the cemetary he was buried at... it sounded familiar. Then, I remembered it was the same cemetary that was located barely 10 miles from my relative's house (and, oddly enough, shared the same name with my elementary school). I decided to go there and see if I could find his grave.

I looked for quite a while, and couldn't find it. I went into the front office and asked the lady if she knew where the grave "Pastorius" was. "Pastorius? Wasn't he the famous... umm...." *plays air bass* said the lady at the desk. She pointed me to a section of the cemetary, and I looked again. I couldn't find it. I went back to ask for more specific directions, and she told me that she gave me the wrong section! She then took the time to actually take me to his grave.

It was an interesting site. Jaco's grave, just like Hendrix's, was a small little plaque, in the middle of a bunch of other graves; no special tombstone or shrine (a la Jim Morrison). The grave read "John F. Pastorius III 1951-1987", and above it, "Jaco". There were a few burned out candles, and one fan even left a guitar tuner machine head on the plaque. I put 4 fingers of my left hand and 2 fingers from my right hand on his plaque, said a prayer, and was off.

Later on my trip, I was at a Sam Ash's across the state, and I told that story to a person helping me out with trading in my fretless for a Warwick (enough trying to rip off Jaco, now I might as well start sounding like me). He then told me one of his friends went to take a lesson from Jaco in early '87 in New York. He went to Jaco's apartment, and his girlfriend told the guy that he was at the bar downstairs. He went to get him, and saw that Jaco was about to get his head smashed in because he was drunk and kept taking cash off the bar. They guy 'rescued' Jaco, and took him back to his apartment for the lesson. When they got there, Jaco was too drunk and violent to do anything. They guy gave him $100, told him to take it easy, and left. A few months later, he was dead. Pretty sad stuff.

The guy who I was talking to also said that he used to know Jerry Jemmott (the guy interviewing Jaco in his lessons video). He said Jerry was a sweet guy who would constantly compliment him on his playing (to which he responded "Come on, you've played with Aretha!"). He also said that he was basically hired to keep Jaco calm and focused during the video shoot. Jaco respected him enough to stay straight, and explains why Jerry kept kissing Jaco's ass; sure, he was a very empowering guy, but he was trying not to set Jaco off, too!

Anyway, I don't know if you found any of that interesting, but I thought someone might.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
whoa funky stuff,
no pun intended
but thats really sweet man, sorry to hear jaco was such a prick
^I hardly think that the one person who is known by almost every bass player as "the greatest bassist of all time" is underrated.
Quote by Bumper
^I hardly think that the one person who is known by almost every bass player as "the greatest bassist of all time" is underrated.

I hardly think all bassists consider him "the greatest bass of all time"
I think you could say his music is underrated, especially by non bassists.

But by bassists most regard Jaco as god.

Thanks for sharing that story, I'll have to check out his grave, that would be soooo cool.
Quote by BodaciousZac
I hardly think all bassists consider him "the greatest bass of all time"

I hardly think you know what you're talking about.
I liked reading that, cheers.

And agree with the above, it's his songs which are underrated, not his ability.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
:O i can;t belive that guy saiud he hardly belived that he was the greatest bas player of all time. thats liek sayign hendrix was not the best! liek honeslty , sure you have your satriani's an vai's and paul gilberts and yngwie's!, but woudl they honestly exist without hendrix? hendrix was teh firts, and the original, same with jaco, sure you have you alain carons victor wootens and marcus millers, but they wouldn;t be here without jaco's music. he was the first and he will be the best always.

i would go as far as to say th emost beuatifull music form any bass player has been from jaco for me.
me you

if you notice any spelling mistakes, or grammar stuff, its cos i have tourettes syndrome and i cbf correcting it, cos that involves reading it over. so get the F*** over it.
Thats pretty cool. and its some memory you got remebering the name of his graveyard.
It kinda creep me out seeing that its treated as some kind of a spiritual place.
But still, nice story.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Pretty cool story. I like when I find out little inside information like that about artists though I'm one of the few bassists who doesn't really care for Jaco...
Quote by DrWarm
I think you could say his music is underrated, especially by non bassists.

But by bassists most regard Jaco as god.

Thanks for sharing that story, I'll have to check out his grave, that would be soooo cool.

Quote by Dinkydaisy
And agree with the above, it's his songs which are underrated, not his ability.

wrong wrong wron wrong wrong.

weather report was one of the MOST influencial jazz and fusion bands in the 70's and 80's, and jaco's 6 years are the most documented, including Birdland, A remark you made, Teen Town, Port of Entry, and those are songs, im not even touching the album contributions.

Jaco wrote many of weather reports songs while he was with them, in fact most of those i listed were his compositions. and its not like his solo career was under rated either, his solo album, Jaco Pastorious made a huge splash, and was why he was even considered for weather report.

you hooligans with your brittney spears, and jay z's, you just cant look past all that hooplah cause your not jazz fans obviously. ive never heard of the worlds most famous professional bowler, but he sure as hell is successful and not underrated.

jaco is NOT underrated. nor are his songs.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^Yeah, I agree, but at the same time I can't help but think that Jazz in general, especially non-trad Jazz, is very well known in the public.

But let me ask you this; in how many commercials or television shows have you heard that Jaco 'mwah'? Listen for it; you'll hear it all the time. His is the voice on the instrument that is heard everywhere.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The 'mwah' is the rather distinct sound of a fretless bass that Jaco kinda made famous. Listen to Joni Mitchell's song 'Hejira' to hear some really good (albeit exaggerated) examples.

Also, Jaco was one of, if not THE first to use the bridge pickup of a Jazz bass like he did, and that sound with fretless is very distinct.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
ive been playing around with effect and tone settings to try and dupilcate his tone, and i found that a lot of the mwah comes from a chorus pedal. listen to something like donna lee or PoT and you'll hear very little wah, but then something like continuum and a remark you mae, and you;'ll hear a distinct difference.

and its not different kinds of basses i dont think, cause my fretless gets the same tone as the donna lee/PoT tone. i have to use a fretless simulation with a chorus and added wah effect to get jaco's mwah.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by crazypeanutman
ive been playing around with effect and tone settings to try and dupilcate his tone, and i found that a lot of the mwah comes from a chorus pedal. .

I'll second that. I have been learning Continuum on a fretted bass and as soon as I added the chorus pedal, it comes much closer to the Jaco "sound".
Well, the real thing of the mwah comes from the fact that Jaco presses with as much finger pad as possible and picks with as much finger pad as possible to get the mwah sound to ring out. In PoT and Donna Lee, it isn't a slow tempo ballad type song (not very lyrical) and they don't use any vibrato, so of course, he won't use his mwah technique.

Back then, Jaco never really used a chorus pedal, he just kept double and triple tracking his totally clean bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Back then, Jaco never really used a chorus pedal, he just kept double and triple tracking his totally clean bass.

thats basically what a chorus pedal does

but i never knew that, that might be a cool recording technique to try out.
Quote by Mr. T
Well, a chorus pedal tries to mimmick the effect of that, but it doesn't actually do it. It takes that one note, modulates it a bunch of times, and plays it with the bass, whereas what Jaco was doing was the 'real deal' as he would call it; his multitracking doesn't quite have the same affect as a chorus pedal does, kinda like the way his Echoplex didn't have the same effect as a delay pedal does.
Quote by Cody_Grey102