Page 1 of 2
i think i'm going to buy a fender blues junior for my birthday this april, i'm going to try one tomorrow so i'm sure i like the tone and stuff

the problem is that i've heard this amp has a nice tone just for blues,

i play a lot of blues, but...

with a little help from a distortion pedal, would it be good for metal?

if not, what are some versatile tube amps for $550
Not great for metal, but it'll do it with the right pedals.
I've got one, it's a great amp. I can get classic metal tones from it (UFO, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Guns'n'Roses etc) with an OD pedal or 2.

When you try it in the shop, test some good OD or distortion pedals with it and see what you think.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I can get a really good metal tone on my Blues Junior with my Metal Muff.
Epiphone LP Classic, LP Tribute+
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall Class 5 Head, 1960a Cabinet
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
hell i play metal with a SSS strat a MM and a blues jr. seriosly, i love the damn thing. id get it if i were you.

^stealer of my tone.
you can wait for the new windsor combo coming out in the 2nd quarter of this year
Failure is a far greater teacher than success.
Unified

Gear:
Schecter C-1
Peavey Classic 30
Roland Cube 30
DD-3
Ibanez WD-7
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
Quote by Arlabester
hell i play metal with a SSS strat a MM and a blues jr. seriosly, i love the damn thing. id get it if i were you.

^stealer of my tone.

metal with single coils. boohya!

But, when the blues junior gets loud enough to overpower the drums, is it still clean?
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101

But, when the blues junior gets loud enough to overpower the drums, is it still clean?

yes.
When does it start breaking up.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just thinking of getting one.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101

It will break up, but just roll back the volume knob on your guitar a little bit to clean it up.
Epiphone LP Classic, LP Tribute+
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall Class 5 Head, 1960a Cabinet
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
Quote by alexh0618
I can get a really good metal tone on my Blues Junior with my Metal Muff.

+1

The Metal Muff with a tube amp sounds great! I'm sure you will be able to get some decent metal sounds with it!
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
the blues junior is a great little amp. i wouldnt necesarily recomend it for metal, but with a good pedal it would probably get a nice sound. in the same range you could check out a peavey classic 30. going to be a bit more expensive, but im sure you can find a used one for under $550 no problem (maybe not new though).

i love the tone on my C30 for clean stuff, nice blues tone IMO. the gain isnt really heavy, but with an OD pedal you can definatly play some metal. its got 2 channels so its going to be a bit more versitile than the BJ, but with a different tone.

also try out the crate palomino series amps. the 15w version is $400 and the 30w version is $600 (a bit over your range, i know). try those out as well, they have sounded pretty good for the price the times ive tried them out. so yeah, just be sure to try out a few amps and compare them before making your final decision.
Quote by bluesrocker101
When does it start breaking up.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just thinking of getting one.

well mine breaks up cos i like a lil crunch, but if you set the gain to 3 i could get to master 7.

and it depends on the guitar too. its instant break up with my ibanez.
also check out the peavey windsor. the head / cab will be a bit over budget but, they are coming out with a 15W tube combo, might be spot on.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM07/Content/Peavey/PR/Windsor-Studio.html

here's the peavey head...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Tube-Amp-Head?sku=481331&src=00630 $400.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 26, 2007,
Quote by jj1565
also check out the peavey windsor. the head / cab will be a bit over budget but, they are coming out with a 15W tube combo, might be spot on.

Wow! I knew they were coming out with a combo, but I didn't realize what it was. I expected something about the size of a VK combo. 15W with a built in attenuator and speaker outs? Very versatile little bugger! I'll be checking that thing out.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by jj1565

That looks brilliant! I'd love to try one out..
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
yeah they announced over a month ago. hmm. still dont see it. but id hate to buy an amp only to regret missing this one by a week.

the head/cab is supposed to be really good.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jof1029
the blues junior is a great little amp. i wouldnt necesarily recomend it for metal, but with a good pedal it would probably get a nice sound. in the same range you could check out a peavey classic 30. going to be a bit more expensive, but im sure you can find a used one for under $550 no problem (maybe not new though).

i love the tone on my C30 for clean stuff, nice blues tone IMO. the gain isnt really heavy, but with an OD pedal you can definatly play some metal. its got 2 channels so its going to be a bit more versitile than the BJ, but with a different tone.

also try out the crate palomino series amps. the 15w version is $400 and the 30w version is $600 (a bit over your range, i know). try those out as well, they have sounded pretty good for the price the times ive tried them out. so yeah, just be sure to try out a few amps and compare them before making your final decision.

i can't get any used amp but i can see the blues junior can get the job done, but
if i want to get one they are $700 in mexico, but i can ask to my aunt(who lives in the US) to get me one, which takes me to another problem

would the tubes survive the trip from The US to here?

and to the guy who suggested the marshall, they're $1500 here in mexico

sorry for bumping this old thread, but it was either this or a new thread
You could separately package the tubes, if your aunt is comfortable opening up your amp to take them out.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Quote by soccerdude3465
You could separately package the tubes, if your aunt is comfortable opening up your amp to take them out.

i doubt it, but, is it possible to ask for that in the store?
Quote by jj1565
yeah they announced over a month ago. hmm. still dont see it. but id hate to buy an amp only to regret missing this one by a week.

the head/cab is supposed to be really good.

I've actually heard that the windsor cab is a piece of crap. Most people have been raving about V30 2x12s with the windsor heads.

And I messaged a local store about the Studio, and the owner mailed me back and said that they were getting them in for late may/june sometime.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by deluxity
i can't get any used amp but i can see the blues junior can get the job done, but
if i want to get one they are $700 in mexico, but i can ask to my aunt(who lives in the US) to get me one, which takes me to another problem

Become good friends with me and invite me to stay with you. I'll bring you a nice 15W tube amp as a gift. I love Mexico!

Otherwise, yeah, the tubes should be fine on the cuotas, but maybe they oughta be packaged separately if there'll be any rough driving on the way to you.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Become good friends with me and invite me to stay with you. I'll bring you a nice 15W tube amp as a gift. I love Mexico!

Otherwise, yeah, the tubes should be fine on the cuotas, but maybe they oughta be packaged separately if there'll be any rough driving on the way to you.

my aunt has sent many things to mexico, and they get here with no scratches

also my dad said the tubes aren't as week as they look

and i got an update:

i can probably get $600 so , would it be a good idea to get the blues junior and a jekyll & hyde overdrive pedal?

also

if i'm not able to get the blues junior, would the J&H sound good with my current amp(fender deluxe 900)

i can get a nice (decent,not as good as in a tube amp) clean tone with my amp, but i can't get the distorted tone that i want, it just doesn't sound like what i want it's just not thick enough
Arla hit it on the nail

get an OD808.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
if youre sure youll be getting 600+ used blues juniors can be had for about 300 and with the remaining 3 bills get a damage control womanizer. thing sounds delicious
Quote by Arlabester
no! itd be better to get a TS808 or OD808!

i want a pedal to get some high gain tones, i don't think those two are heavy enough for me, i'm looking for something like metallica's tone
Quote by deluxity
also my dad said the tubes aren't as week as they look

I was goofing around (as well as fishing for a trip to Mexico), and your dad is right, but I'd still pull the tubes out of the amp and pack 'em separately for any long trip.

I've got a TS808 and really love it, but if you're looking for something more, you may really love the J&H. It'd be best if you could try it out, obviously.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by deluxity
i want a pedal to get some high gain tones, i don't think those two are heavy enough for me, i'm looking for something like metallica's tone

I owned the J&H and sold it a few weeks after buying it.

i've played it on a large amount of amps including the BJ and i couldent get a decent Metallica tone at all, the Hyde side was wayy to thin and the Jekyll just couldent get it.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by deluxity

damage control demonizer
Quote by TehJermie
damage control demonizer

then he should just get that. its a pre-amp, so i dont think itll matter what amp he goes into.
Quote by Arlabester
then he should just get that. its a pre-amp, so i dont think itll matter what amp he goes into.

the powerstage matters too if you didnt know.
Quote by TehJermie
the powerstage matters too if you didnt know.

thats why i said "i think" i dont know a whole sh!tload about amps.
Quote by Arlabester
thats why i said "i think" i dont know a whole sh!tload about amps.

no need to get your ego hurt, i was just letting you know. those things sound a whole lot better blaring through a twin than they do a 10 watt ss crate combo
there's 4 options of distortion/overdrive pedals in the store (pretty shitty i know)

mxr zw-44
digi-tech bad monkey
vox bulldog
vox big ben

so, which one would be better?

i'm asking this because in the store, they would not let me try all of them (maybe one or two)
Quote by Arlabester
well sh!t, thats easy.

the big ben by far.

well, the big been is a really mild distortion, i think the mxr would be better
not really, you want overdrive, the big ben is the best, at least for my taste. and i wouldnt ever think of touching a signature item.
blues jr. are 400 in the USA right?
then get a fulltone OCD for 160 - 180 USD. excellent rig.
still less then 600 bucks
Quote by Arlabester
not really, you want overdrive, the big ben is the best, at least for my taste. and i wouldnt ever think of touching a signature item.

but that's really expensive

i'm going to try the ZW-44, it's $65, if it doesn't convince me, i'll go and search on other stores
Page 1 of 2