I apologize in advance if this makes no sense. I know my pentatonic. blues, and major scales, and I can alternate pick relatively fast. The problem is I dont know where to go when I am alternate picking. All my solos end up being slow, and I cant get speed because I dont know what patterns to use. I dont want to just run up and down scales, cuz I think that would sound bad. How do you guys go about soloing . . . mainly fast blues type licks - no shredding, because I already know that that is mainly scales. Thanks for the help.
Current:
Yamah Pacifica 112 (vintage white)
Fender PT-10 Tuner
Voodoo Lab Superfuzz
Crate MX15R
Future:
Fulltone OCD
Fender TC-90?
Quote by afroboy
I apologize in advance if this makes no sense. I know my pentatonic. blues, and major scales, and I can alternate pick relatively fast. The problem is I dont know where to go when I am alternate picking. All my solos end up being slow, and I cant get speed because I dont know what patterns to use. I dont want to just run up and down scales, cuz I think that would sound bad. How do you guys go about soloing . . . mainly fast blues type licks - no shredding, because I already know that that is mainly scales. Thanks for the help.

What do you mean, you have trouble picking fast or hitting the right notes?
i knew this would be hard to understand. I can pick fast enough, I just dont know how to make interesting solos without it sounding lick I'm just running through scales. When I go slow, I can create inventive improvisations, but when I go fast, it becomes mechanical and choppy. could just be a practice/experience thing.
Current:
Fender PT-10 Tuner
Voodoo Lab Superfuzz
Crate MX15R
Future:
Fulltone OCD
Fender TC-90?
wait, so your scale-picking speed isnt that fast, and your wondering how to go faster? not sure if this is what you mean...
Just make up some of your own licks, make them up slowly then speed them up. Steal from other solos! Find out where Jimi used one lick in his solo and put it into your solo and just mess around with it. Just practice and it will come.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
he means he can play fast without any problem but his fast improv sucks... he needs help about that!

( I do need help for that too sooo... )
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by afroboy
no shredding, because I already know that that is mainly scales. Thanks for the help.

lol no
Like said...

practice YOUR licks slowly first then build up speed...
until you hit your desired speed...
What do you mean by play thirds and fourths of scales? I probably know what your talking about, but I'm not so sure. As far as modes, I understand them, but I'm not very good at using them. Like, how do I establish the sound of a mode in an improvised solo without going through the entire modal scale?
Current:
Fender PT-10 Tuner
Voodoo Lab Superfuzz
Crate MX15R
Future:
Fulltone OCD
Fender TC-90?
Play to a backing track! That really helped me out a lot.

www.guitarbt.com is good.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee