Hello all, I have a small knowledge of electronics and My uncle is an electrician, And I am interested in taking that as a career. To get me started on some things We have decided to start A project so he can get me up to speed, An apprenticeship so to say.

So, To start, This is going to be a large project, With a lot of learning and such, So I come to my good friends of UG to help me.

First of all, We are going to be making my new guitar Gear set-up. This includes, Amp, Effects, Pedal board, And POSSIBLY a guitar. We are not sure about the last part. But, The Rest we are sure of.

First thing we will be doing is building the amp. Just A Cabinet, Not sure what size yet, But something With enough volume with good tone. I Believe I will be going for a Mesa/Boogie head, As I want the sort of, Metallica thrash metal tone out of this cab.

What I ask about the amp is, What Speakers would be good for getting that Tone, What Size, Brand and series should I buy?

Also, Are the Mesa heads good for this type of music? I also Want to be able to play cleanly, but I want the thrash metal sound also.

Then we come to effects. I have a Boss DS-1 that I want to mod to add a less Violent buzzsaw like sounding distortion, To something a bit more smooth, But Still gritty.

Then I want to make a nice overdrive Pedal to go with this.

As well as maybe A purchased Wah.

There will be a few more effects to add which I haven't found yet.

Also, I want a channel switch and I want to put all this into a pedal board so it is easier to power.

We will be fabricating most of this, So Any help would be GREATLY Appreciated, And I will Post pics once we start.

Thanks for any help in advance, I will check back here and get things going as soon as possible. Thanks!

Deluster.
Quote by Leybick

you're going to try and tell me girls don't piss out of their asses?

Gear:
Agile AL-3100 Gold-top Les Paul
Vox Valvtronix 15 watt
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schempage.php?cat=1

has all the schematics you would ever need. and wah pedals are actually easier to build than a lot of distortion or overdrives. casings are exensive, though.

and yes, boogie amps are good for anything distorted.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
alright. Thanks much, Any speaker reccomendations for a mesa amp?
Quote by Leybick

Gear:
Vox Valvtronix 15 watt
eminence makes good ones, check musician's friend.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
A lot of that is woodworking. The Cab is going to be more woodworking than electronics. You would just need to hook a few wires to a jack for this.

Pedalboard, again woodworking and fabricating,

Effects. Here we go, now electronics.

Just wanted to point out that early Metallica used Marshalls. I would think that a JCM800 would be easier to make than the Mesa/Boogie. Are you building the amp or buying it?
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
First of all, We are going to be making my new guitar Gear set-up. This includes, Amp, Effects, Pedal board, And POSSIBLY a guitar. We are not sure about the last part. But, The Rest we are sure of.

He's going to try and build it. This sounds impossible, but so does everything the first time you try it. Remember the first time you tried to build a pedal?

Granted, it sounds really hard to me. Good luck, dood.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
sorry, By amp I meant A speaker Cabinet. I will be buying my Head. Sorry for the confusion.

And Yeah, The pedal board and Cab will be easy enough. Just the effects will be the electronic parts really, But all this is good to learn as well.

Not nearly impossible, And I should save a fair bit of cash this way as well.
Quote by Leybick

Gear:
Vox Valvtronix 15 watt