I'm not sure where to put this - John is typically a jazz guitarist, but this stuff is definitely not jazz. But it is both shreddy and progressive, so here it is.

Shakti were a virtuoso group of musicians that fused Indian music and Western jazz, to often spectacular results. Zakir Hussain's tabla playing is to be marveled at, and John McLaughlin's alternate picking technique (among other things) are beyond amazing.

Some videos for your edification (only from Remember Shakti, there are other videos, but they're often 70s vintage and quite crappy to hear and watch.):
Ma No Pa
Sakhi
Finding the Way (Part 1, it's a 20 minute song - and bloody amazing)
Finding the Way Part 2
no
One of my favourite groups.
Edit : I dont really like Remember Shakti as much as the original lineup with Shankar.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Last edited by pavan at Feb 25, 2007,
I've never been a big fan of McLaughlin in any outfit he's been in, and unfortunately this is no exception.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I like it when Shankar goes on and on, there's no stopping him.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
I love Eastern music. It's so relaxing, yet amazing, John McLaughlin only enhances it.

On a sidenote; anyone else enjoy the album Love, Devotion, Surrender that he did with Santana? I seem to be one of the few.