Ok so basically here's the deal.
I have a mesa boogie f-30. it has a clean, dirty, and contour channel, however the dirty and contour channels are the same volume. So, my idea is that a get rack effects to act like a third channel(solo). i was thinking it work with some sort of A/B switch and the effects loop(parrallel) or something of the sort. I was also thinking of getting something like the TC electronics G-sharp with a midi controller to prevent my infmous tap dancing on stage. I was thinking the Gainiac 1 for the third channel, or something like that. I want to keep my clean and contour channels for rythm, i just want that solo channel and the programmable effects.

Ultimatley, i would like to have the effects available all the time and the gainaic(or whatever it turns out to be)only on during my solo.

any help would be HIGHLY appreciated. Also, i'm open to any suggestions you guys think are worthwhile.

Thanks so much in advance.
steve
have someone set you up locally, like bring it to a local axe shop and have them custom rig it if you cant do it yourself
You'd put the G-sharp in the effects loop. As for using another preamp along with the F-30's preamp... First off, the Gainiac sucks, don't even waste your time or money with one. Maybe look into getting an EQ pedal or rack unit over a preamp. Putting a preamp in front of the amp or even in the effects loop ends up sounding muddy, since you'd be using two preamps on top of each other.

You could bypass the F-30's preamp and use its power amp section, but you'd solely be using whatever preamp you decide on. Any other questions just ask.
thanks guitarmiester, thanks for the heads up on the gainiac. any other recomendations for a preamp like that(besides the JMP-1)? How would i hook up the preamp to just us the power amp.

If i set it up like this, would it work?(to use both preamps):

___amp
Guitar -->A/B --|
|___Preamp--->power amp

have the G-sharp in the loop.
Would that work.
thanks agian
steve
hhhhhhhhhhhh ___amp
Guitar -->A/B --|
hhhhhhhhhhhh|___Preamp--->power amp

sry i tried to setup the diagram ok
I'm not sure if that setup would work, I've never tried that before. I have used my Mod4 MkII ADA MP1 with a 2x12 combo before. I've tried it infront of the amp, in the effects loop, and then bypassed the amps preamp and just used its poweramp section. To bypass the amps preamp:

Guitar ->Preamp Input ->Preamp Output ->Effects Loop Input

Then, you'd put the G-Sharp in the effects loop of whatever preamp you might get. Like I said, if you bypass the amps preamp, you'd only be using that preamp and not the F-30's clean and dirty channels.
ok. thank alot. all of this is good to know. i'm very newbish when it comes to rack equipment.
thanks again.
steve
That could work, but I'd have to think for a little on how to hook everything up correctly...

What's your price range and what kinda of sound are you after?
i want the full lead distorion tone of a marshall or a mesa but don't have the money for the triaxis of JMP-1. for just that preamp. mabye $500, but as low as possible.
steve
also is it posible to make the g sharp useable for both my amp and the preamp
(assuming we ever get it to be hooked up that way)
steve
For $500, look into these preamps:

-Peavey Rockmaster (won't really go into Mesa territory)
-ADA preamps (I use a Mod4 MkII MP1 - check this site for information, clips, and all the available MP1 mods. Amazing preamps and can't be beat price-wise.)

What type of Mesa sound are you after? There are a few Mesa preamps, but you just said Mesa, that doesnt' really say too much.
mesa recto. but basically a big full sounding distortion.
thanks i'll look into those.
also if you could get back to me about driving the preamp, that would appreciated very much. not neccesarily right this second. but whenever you have an idea.
thanks again.
steve
I kind of thought you'd be after the Recto sound, was just checking. You could look into the Mesa Formula Pre. It can get pretty heavy sounding.

I'd definitely look into a modded ADA MP1 though. My Mod4 MkII is the 'Marshall mod' but I can easily get a Recto-like distortion out of it. I even have a clip somewhere, I just have to find it.

To be honest, I don't think you can use both preamps in the way you want. You could use the preamp in the effects loop, but you wouldn't be using it to its fullest potential.
ok thanks for the info. if you could find that clip that would be awsome. the MP1 looks sick.
steve

what power amp would recommend:low wattage(my f30 is 30 watts tube), low cost.
would i be able to use the speaker of the f30 if i went preamp and power amp.
thanks steve
There aren't too many low wattage power amps available. All that I can think of at the time is a Peavey 60/60.

You can find the MP1 clip here, I recorded The Glass Prison using my Mod4 MkII ADA MP1. There's 5 clips on that page, I used the Mod4 MkII for 3 of them - A New Day, A New Beginning / Seeing The Light / and The Glass Prison. The other 2 were just quick clips of another amp.
ok.
i just came back from guitar center and knowing them this might not be correct but they said this would work:

Guitar --->g-sharp--->Preamp--->Mesa F-30

as long as i plug the preamp into the power amp in out the amp he said it would work and i would still be able to use both preamps (with a midi controller).he said it would work as long as the power amp is last in the chain.

is he right or wrong.
thanks steve
Quote by linerndunch110
ok.
i just came back from guitar center and knowing them this might not be correct but they said this would work:

Guitar --->g-sharp--->Preamp--->Mesa F-30

as long as i plug the preamp into the power amp in out the amp he said it would work and i would still be able to use both preamps (with a midi controller).he said it would work as long as the power amp is last in the chain.

is he right or wrong.
thanks steve

First of all, you wouldn't put the G-Sharp before the preamp. Like I said before, plugging the preamp into the poweramp (the effects loop return) you'd be bypassing the F-30's preamp. The amp isn't midi controllable, so a midi controller wouldn't have anything to do with the F-30's own preamp.
ok thanks . i guess i can't read that well, cause i went back and now that i read it a couple times it make sense. thanks again.
steve
dude, if you want a lead tone just get an eq or an overdrive pedal and use that. the f-30 has a lot better tone than any cheap preamp you're going to get. plus it'd be easy to hook these up.
why don't you just get a clean boost or an OD or an EQ to boost you for solos
i have a seymour duncan pickup booster i've been using for lead boosts. i make the amp sound farty and muddy. i'm basically looking to add a third channel and midi controllable effects. so i assumed a rack would be easiest. and just for yucks, do i need a power amp to power say a TC Electronics G-sharp? cuz if i find a different means for a lead boost, i'll just use the effects proccesor to prevent ta[ dancing on stage.

thanks
steve
the tc isn't gonna provide a boost, just a couple of effects. plus an od pedal needs to be in front of the preamp. but seriously try a boss sd-3, turn the level all the way up and the drive all the way down and i have no idea how this would make your amp sound farty. od pedals actually make the amp sound tighter/smoother.
Quote by Guitarmiester
There aren't too many low wattage power amps available. All that I can think of at the time is a Peavey 60/60.

You can find the MP1 clip here, I recorded The Glass Prison using my Mod4 MkII ADA MP1. There's 5 clips on that page, I used the Mod4 MkII for 3 of them - A New Day, A New Beginning / Seeing The Light / and The Glass Prison. The other 2 were just quick clips of another amp.

Mesa and Marshall both make 20w poweramps...