Page 1 of 2
So im really into Coheed and Cambria right now, but my mates who only listen to mainstream music and dont appreciate more progessive styles are calling me emo just because they head Claudio's voice and assumed C&C were an emo band. Who agrees with me that they're dumbasses missing out on great music?
Quote by Draken
Look i'm saying if she wore those glasses in bed i'd plough her like an Amish guy sowing his maize crop.

My Gear:
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse Pro
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Cheap classical guitar
Ashton GA-158C
Zoom 505II
They actually annoy me mainly because of his voice so I wouldn't call them great. But they should probably listen to a few songs and try to keep an open mind.
ya coheed has great music, but there kinda a teensy bit emo
that doesnt make them any less of a band though
but cmon, "pull the trigger and the nightmare stops" definately emo
Member #4 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Yeah they kinda are but im in NZ and we dont get a lot of alternative stuff on mainstream TV and radio, ive only ever seen a C&C vid at 1AM on an idependent music channel.
Quote by Draken
Look i'm saying if she wore those glasses in bed i'd plough her like an Amish guy sowing his maize crop.

My Gear:
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse Pro
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Cheap classical guitar
Ashton GA-158C
Zoom 505II
Quote by burnyourwings69
ya coheed has great music, but there kinda a teensy bit emo
that doesnt make them any less of a band though
but cmon, "pull the trigger and the nightmare stops" definately emo

they arnt the SLIGHTEST BIT EMO simply because those lyrics are in a concept
so no coheed and cambria arnt emo and yeh i agree they are dumbasses missing out on great music
Coheed aren't emo. Whoever calls them emo has no idea about rock sub-genres. Coheed are progressive poppy rock. But yes, Coheed own my soul.
Show them Welcome Home and then see what they think is emo
But on a more serious note. Theres really no reason to change someone into listening to the music you like. You should let them listen to the music they want and let them have their own opinions. If they Coheed is emo, just let them. Its not hurting anyone, is it?
Green Tinted Sixties Mind
i thought they were emo before i really listened to them. now i love them tho. they are one of the only popular bands around today that i listen to. and i'd class them as metal/pop/prog really.
Just go on with your daily life, not caring what they listen to; and don't let what they think affect your music tastes.
A Seven Nation army couldn't hold me back.
Actually, Co&Ca consider themselves to be emo. Its a bit of a marketing strategy: If you label yourself as emo, youre going to have a wider audience than if they simply classified themselves as progressive, or alternative. But listen to Shabutie, their former band. that is definately not emo.

Actually, I think the best term would be a "concept band".
^ That would be a good idea, but wasn't there an interview with them on UG that was titled, "We're a Progressive Rock Band"?

to umop 3
Quote by Righteous
Is that Chuck Norris in your avator? I never thought of him as a shredder really... a shredder of bodies maybe.

Member: "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join

Self Proclaimed Master of Typos
Coheed and Cambria Progressive? Don't make me laugh.

Maybe SLIGHTLY different, but progressive? Not really. They sound to me like a wannabe Led Zepplin.

That's not to say i don't like them, they're pretty good, but were terrible when I saw them live.
Quote by zebrahead234
^ That would be a good idea, but wasn't there an interview with them on UG that was titled, "We're a Progressive Rock Band"?

to umop 3

Maybe, but I remember reading an interview with Claudio somewhere a while ago where he called them emo.

Meh, honestly, who cares. They make good music. In Keeping Secrets... is one of my favourite, if not favourite, song ever.
Quote by umop-3p!sdn
Maybe, but I remember reading an interview with Claudio somewhere a while ago where he called them emo.

Meh, honestly, who cares. They make good music. In Keeping Secrets... is one of my favourite, if not favourite, song ever.

Haha, whenever I'm jamming im just drawn to playing that song, kindof eerie intro.
A Seven Nation army couldn't hold me back.
NO EMO.

Their lyrics are part of a concept that Claudio wrote, and it includes death and suicide. And is voice pwns. So high-pitched voices makes bands emo. Rush isn't emo.
...When you decide to wake up..
Compared to a lot of the music that UGers are into C&C is mainstream.
And they're hardly progressive.

They're like a much lesser The Mars Volta. C&C try, but just come out sounding like rock music with no focus.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by walkinbazooka
Compared to a lot of the music that UGers are into C&C is mainstream.
And they're hardly progressive.

They're like a much lesser The Mars Volta. C&C try, but just come out sounding like rock music with no focus.

By no focus, what do you mean? Because if your saying that their structures are messy, that would not be true, seeing as most of the songs have about five guitars going on.
...When you decide to wake up..
Quote by Dancing Fool
By no focus, what do you mean? Because if your saying that their structures are messy, that would not be true, seeing as most of the songs have about five guitars going on.

First take a look at progressive rock and progressive metal. It doesn't conform to the typical 'layout' of a song (ie. contains verse, chorus, bridge). C&C try to do this but it isn't 'focused.' By this I mean it sounds jumbled and doesn't effectively make a point.

^This is all musical criticism. I'm talking nothing of the lyrics.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Coheed arent emo. The lyrics of the songs are a story, starting with the first album. Theres also Evil Ink comic books which is the story.
coheed and cambria are great. I would just call them alternative.
Who ****ing cares whats emo? So much is marketed as emo that really isnt emo. MCR, FOB? jesus christ. No one knows real emo music anymore.
you scared me. i thought the band itself was in trouble. not cool.
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Quote by xDie_Romanticx
coheed and cambria are great. I would just call them alternative.
Who ****ing cares whats emo? So much is marketed as emo that really isnt emo. MCR, FOB? jesus christ. No one knows real emo music anymore.

You can't just label Coheed as one type of genre. People are going to argue about it. You could say their emo (if your a n00b) but you probably don't know about the songs being about a concept that deals with suicide. After hearing the song Welcome Home or Ten Speed, I've heard some refer to them as a metal band. They were considered an alternative rock band by many during the Second Stage era, and just a "rock" band after In Keeping Secrets came out.
Nikolas
Quote by walkinbazooka
First take a look at progressive rock and progressive metal. It doesn't conform to the typical 'layout' of a song (ie. contains verse, chorus, bridge). C&C try to do this but it isn't 'focused.' By this I mean it sounds jumbled and doesn't effectively make a point.

"Doesnt effectively make a point?" Define making a point, and how "attempting" to conform to an atypical layout would achieve this.
Quote by Mein Kampf
I thought Coheedblah blah was a mainstream band?/?

+1,+2,+3,+4

all my approval towards your opinion, my struggle....
Quote by FeatherBreeze
+1,+2,+3,+4

all my approval towards your opinion, my struggle....

Hardly mainstream.
Nikolas
Quote by umop-3p!sdn
"Doesnt effectively make a point?" Define making a point, and how "attempting" to conform to an atypical layout would achieve this.

I never said having a typical song structure makes a point. I said sometimes when a band tries too hard to be noncomformist the song can get lost.
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by ROCK=ZEPPELIN
Hardly mainstream.

lol, i know but my old band wanted to sound like them, so my Loomis meets Pastorius and Methany type solos were a little out of place.
my friends ditched me for a sound that requires less than no talent and a lil'bit'o'wankin
Quote by FeatherBreeze
lol, i know but my old band wanted to sound like them, so my Loomis meets Pastorius and Methany type solos were a little out of place.
my friends ditched me for a sound that requires less than no talent and a lil'bit'o'wankin

I would hardly say playing like them require less than no talent. ...their new stuff anyway. I love playing the Wlcome Home solo.

True, theyre hardly malmsteen, but you have to hand it to Claudio for singing and doing lead guitar,
Claudio is quite the musician. A lot of the rhythm lines are complex to be singing and playing at the same time. All of them were quite good. Josh Eppard (their old drummer) had some really kickass drum lines that could very well be overlooked, but when listened to them, you can appreciate them.

They put on amazing live shows, and they have so much energy.

They could be considered Emo to the Coheed n00b, but they're really not. Their lyrics tell a story, and the struggles of the characters in them. Lines like "Pull the trigger and the nightmare stops." could very well be interpretted as emo, but the band themselves are not complaining or anything, they're merely voicing the character's situation.
If I had my way, I'd crush your face in the door.
Quote by umop-3p!sdn
I would hardly say playing like them require less than no talent. ...their new stuff anyway. I love playing the Welcome Home solo.

True, theyre hardly malmsteen, but you have to hand it to Claudio for singing and doing lead guitar,

Dude, even their old stuff takes talent, look at Everything Evil from SST. Everything Evil has an amazing rhythm line that would be extremely hard to sing and play at the same time.

I would call Coheed Progressive Rock just as much as others like to call Tool Prog. Rock, if they can be called "Prog" for having abnormal time signature usage, then Coheed should get it for abnormal lyrical layout.

In Keeping Secrets, FTW.
His voice is absolutely horrible and completely ruins the slightly redeeming quality of their music, which is that some songs have decent instrumental stuff.

And they are mainstream now, don't try to tell me they're not.
when i first heard A Favor House Atlantic, i said that i would NEVER be caught buying a coheed album. then i heard in keeping secrets in my friends van and punched myself in the mouth for the previous statement. i then became obsessed for a while, to the point that when welcome home was put out on the internet, i broke into my friends house and played it as loud as possible on his stereo. my friends and i almost cried it was so good. as for genres, so many people get them screwed up, so you can't even use them anymore. so i would say coheed is space opera speed prog. like david bowie meets zepplin, pink floyd, tool, rush, and slayer. i know that sounds stupid. but listen to them. the elements are in there. solo on the crowing? epic axe battle on welcome home? the final f****** cut?! c'mon. this is no high school emo makeup drama. man your f*cking battle stations!
Quote by Y0UNGBL00D
when i first heard A Favor House Atlantic, i said that i would NEVER be caught buying a coheed album. then i heard in keeping secrets in my friends van and punched myself in the mouth for the previous statement. i then became obsessed for a while, to the point that when welcome home was put out on the internet, i broke into my friends house and played it as loud as possible on his stereo. my friends and i almost cried it was so good. as for genres, so many people get them screwed up, so you can't even use them anymore. so i would say coheed is space opera speed prog. like david bowie meets zepplin, pink floyd, tool, rush, and slayer. i know that sounds stupid. but listen to them. the elements are in there. solo on the crowing? epic axe battle on welcome home? the final f****** cut?! c'mon. this is no high school emo makeup drama. man your f*cking battle stations!

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 x 2

Imo Coheed and Cambria - High Girly voice = F*ckin sweet band
Not to say that they aren't already awesome
UG's 94th 300 Spartan!!

My Gear:
Hamer Vector
Ltd Viper 50
Line 6 Spider 2 212

Quote by Dirge Humani
I can make my penis hard if I think a lot.

Quote by Hope Sowders
Me: Have you ever used a Ouija board?
Her: Like the things you play on in the ocean? Those boards? Yeah
yea man
im the most open minded person out of my friends when it comes to music
****ing love co&ca
Page 1 of 2