Ok 3 questions, ignoring quality (which always seems to come up when you mention fender and squier in the same thread) if i put 3 top end single coils in a squier strat, would it sound the same as a top end fender through the same amp? (I mean the alder bodied one if it helps, the affinity)

secondly, where, (in person, i dont like buying off the internet) can you buy pickups in england, do you have to order them from the company?

Next question, if it would why doesn't everyone do it?
Last edited by CobenBlack at Feb 25, 2007,
It won't, that's why not everyone does it. It will sound better, but not as good as a top end Fender.
The short answer is no it won't. But it's not all bad news...

I've got a Squier Standard Series strat, and I have just upgraded all the pups and all the wiring - it doesn't sound like a strat (although I didn't put Fender pups in) but it sounds 100X better than it did when it had Squier pups and wiring - you'd probably get closer to the Fender sound if you replaced all the wiring, pots, 5 way switch etc to some decent quality parts.

The Squier wiring it really cheap - actualy it's really really cheap. On my 2006 standard the two tone pots were linked by the leg from the tone capacitor - it's all done to save money - fortuately they seem to save on electrics to make a better guitar (in a wood working sense) as I've compared my Squier to a Mexican strat in detail and it's no different on the outside (finish, weight, quality) it's just the electrics are far superior in a Mexican.

The good news is that since I've upgraded my Squier, I've stopped thinking about buying a new guitar - the range of tone is a whole lot better and I can get pretty much any sound I want out of it - my next purchase will be a tube amp, which will do more for my tone than any Fender will! The most notable thing, with regards the electrics, as opposed to the pups is that the tone knobs actually make a proper difference to the tone now!

I sourced all my bits from the internet - but if you want a recommendation as to somewhere reputable on the web that you can order from, just ask.
Ah sweet thanks, i noticed that too.....you change the tone knobs, and there is absolutely no difference. so if i get a full electrics change, and the pups, then it'll sound better then? i'l do that

thanks for the offer as well.
Last edited by CobenBlack at Feb 25, 2007,
And replace the hardware, so that it will sustain better.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by mark_wuk
The short answer is no it won't. But it's not all bad news...

I've got a Squier Standard Series strat, and I have just upgraded all the pups and all the wiring - it doesn't sound like a strat (although I didn't put Fender pups in) but it sounds 100X better than it did when it had Squier pups and wiring - you'd probably get closer to the Fender sound if you replaced all the wiring, pots, 5 way switch etc to some decent quality parts.

The Squier wiring it really cheap - actualy it's really really cheap. On my 2006 standard the two tone pots were linked by the leg from the tone capacitor - it's all done to save money - fortuately they seem to save on electrics to make a better guitar (in a wood working sense) as I've compared my Squier to a Mexican strat in detail and it's no different on the outside (finish, weight, quality) it's just the electrics are far superior in a Mexican.

The good news is that since I've upgraded my Squier, I've stopped thinking about buying a new guitar - the range of tone is a whole lot better and I can get pretty much any sound I want out of it - my next purchase will be a tube amp, which will do more for my tone than any Fender will! The most notable thing, with regards the electrics, as opposed to the pups is that the tone knobs actually make a proper difference to the tone now!

I sourced all my bits from the internet - but if you want a recommendation as to somewhere reputable on the web that you can order from, just ask.

Lies!!! LIES!!! Honestly, changing out all the switches and pots won't make any noticeable difference in your tone. Changing your pickups will affect your tone. The electronics in a Mexican strat are not far superior. Sure, they'll probably out last the electronics in your Squier, but they aren't the main factor as to why it sounds better.

If you change your pickups, bridge and tuners you'll pretty much have yourself a Mexican strat in regards of electronics and hardware. The only difference would be the wood at that point and if you have an Alder bodied Squier you won't notice much difference in the quality of different pieces of Alder.

The reason why more people don't just get a Squier and upgrade is because the Mexican and American strats are more expensive so therefore they must be better. At least, that's what they think. The quality control is better on the higher end instruments, and I'll admit that you can't turn a Squier into anything but a hot-rodded Squier. They're not bad guitars like everyone says though, they just need some part swaps.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
^^ He said he changed the pickups, switches, and the wiring, etc. So basically upgraded everything.
Quote by AdamDK
^^ He said he changed the pickups, switches, and the wiring, etc. So basically upgraded everything.

No I didn't?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead