Hey peeps, I want to ask you guys on what AMPS shld i get ? I've been playing guitar for about 7months, been using the free AMP they gave me. There are like only 3 functions; Distortion(a on off button) a treble knob and a bass knob. I know it's a kinda crappy AMP, but yeah, im still a noob.

So now i'd like to get something new, any recommendation? Like what brand? What function need i look out for, etc.I've browse through the forum and read some topic where people talk about stuffs like crunch?mid?gain? etc.. Really confused now.

And for pedals, need i get one? what's the use of it? since some AMPs has the pedal effect or something? Correct me if im wrong..

Looking forwad for you guys answer, Thanks in advance people.

P.S, Im new here, don't know if i posted this in the right section?
pedals are effects for your guitar, like phaser, wah, flanger and distortion. how long have you been playing, what music dyou play and what are your favourite bands?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
i would say get a vox amp 50 watt. they are really good im getting it and ive been only playing for 6 months i played it in shop and its so good it has really good effects on there aswell its worth it cheapest place i could find it was www.GAK.co.uk
well the threadstarter would have to try some amps out first too. the vox does look nice if you play classic and modern rock and blues. how much dyou have to spend threadstarter? im planning on getting a fender blues junior, also good amps for blues and rock.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
To ryan , isnt 50watt abit too much ?I just need it for self practice thing . i wouldnt dare try AMPS in a shop man, seriously, im too lousy to actually try. im afraid people might actually laugh.. hahaha

To rhcp , i've been playing for 7months plus.Well, i love the band KISS. i love distortion thingy.. like rock and roll. maybe some sort of metal? anyhoo, i just love distortion.. really, i do.Maybe around 100-200USD? Im not from USA, so 200usd is like 300+ in my country, i hope 300+ is able to get a good AMP. - www.sweelee.com.sg is where they sell stuffs in my country have a look .. (just use USA currency as an example).And do all VOX AMPS comes with a Gain,Mid,Treble,Reverb thingy?I figure out i need those.My current AMP really sucked ass.
Yeah, thanks for replying !
Last edited by Happydudee at Feb 25, 2007,
You know you can just say "amp". (Not trying to be a mean/troll here but when I read your paragraph in my head it just seems a bit funny. I imagine someone going AMPS? like with that Chinese-sales-guy in the Simpson's)

I prefer the old way of pedal board & effects, but there are other options out there which are probably equally as good as well. If you really want to play with effects, I would say try out the mini Danos because for the equivalent of one mass-produced effect, you can get about five of them. They're fun, not all that great sounding but definetly interesting.

Although, the better option is probably go with the Vox Valvetronix series everybody's so in love with because they sound great and have a load of effects. You might want to get a 30/50 in the future if you ever plan to play with other people. If you're a slow learner (or just want to take it slow), perhaps you should save the money and go with the 15 watt version because perhaps by that time you'll have outgrown the amp. Here's a very good demonstration of what the amp is capable of, of course what comes out of the amp is made by your fingers... Anyways: http://www.gearwire.com/vox-ad30-vt.html

..Which also brings up tube/solid-state amps, which all you really have to know is old vs new technology (tubes or valves are thoes big ancient things you probably think of sitting in a technology museum or those old WII computers that are the size of a room). Peope generally consider tube amps much better sounding than solid-state amps. The Vox I just mentioned is a 'hybrid' amp, which fuses the technology from both tube/solid-state.

I don't know, personally I wouldn't get into effects quite yet. But if you're going to go for a new amp, definetly consider the Vox because of the load of effects, price and quality you get for the price.

Effects become too fun and then you'll get interested in gear and boutique stuff.. and your bank account just goes down hill from there.

Cheers and have fun rockin!
if you only need it for home practice, fender has an excellent practice amp with drum loops etc. all the distortion you need. Also look at the microcube and the vox DA5, in the REALLY SMALL amp market.

Good Luck!
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Im not sure what amp would suit you but i just thought i would say STAY AWAY from Marshall MG's. Most noobs seem to be attracted to them because they say marshall on them but trust me, the sound you get is not that of a real marshall.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Look buddy....if you dont try an amp out your going to be disappointed. dont expect people to laugh....they started out once too. And if its that big of a deal ask one of the guys in the shop to play and go over the amp features with you. Most of the time they wont have a problem....especially if you explain to them that you dont know too much about amps yet. Most guys work in guitar shops because they love everything about guitar and love showing off how much they know.

But here we go...the amp. I usually wouldnt reccomend an amp with effects built in.....but if you love distortion look at spider III. Sider is made by Line6. They use digital processing to create a million different tones. Now I usually dont like them....but when I was at your point in playing looking back, I was happy I bought one because it let me do a million things for cheap. Back then I had a Spider II but still. The Spider III is 100x better than the II. It has presets as well so you can actually use the amp without even touching any of the knobs.

Its easy, its cheap, its a good tool to get introduced to the market, and the spider III doesnt sound half bad. But here is where I clarify...by the time you get to be a good player and have an idea of what tone is you will have to realize that if you want quality, you usually have to pay a few bucks. It isnt going to be cheap easy or fun to find what you really want....but in my opinion a Spider III will be a good start.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Thanks everyone, you guys actually helped me a lot
Yeah, i think VOX and SPIDER III is really good, done my research and stuffs, they're really good.

Well, that's all people, hope to see you guys soon enough in the forum again. adios!

cheers, happydudee
Quote by Happydudee
Hey peeps, I want to ask you guys on what AMPS shld i get ? I've been playing guitar for about 7months, been using the free AMP they gave me. There are like only 3 functions; Distortion(a on off button) a treble knob and a bass knob. I know it's a kinda crappy AMP, but yeah, im still a noob.

So now i'd like to get something new, any recommendation? Like what brand? What function need i look out for, etc.I've browse through the forum and read some topic where people talk about stuffs like crunch?mid?gain? etc.. Really confused now.

And for pedals, need i get one? what's the use of it? since some AMPs has the pedal effect or something? Correct me if im wrong..

Looking forwad for you guys answer, Thanks in advance people.

P.S, Im new here, don't know if i posted this in the right section?

seriously you will have to try out the amps, but if you are too nervous to try out in a store, then line 6 spider is a cracker as it will give you a few different sounds, a 30w type one would do you well for the start until you get to a level of what you are after
some here will rubbish line 6 straight away but a reasonable outlay now will not leave you disapointed until you find your own way, then you can concentrate on learning
Last edited by eisaac at Feb 27, 2007,
im surprised noone has suggested the cube30 or anything. they dont have the effects that a line 6 has but it has much better distortion and sound.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Try stickin with your shity gear while you actually develop playing. At this stage your gear should be the last thing your worried about. C'mon seven months and ur after a new amp!!! At that point i was probably stil on a £60 acoustic (tho i cant remember lol). Get playing better first before u bother with effects and amps, its the biggest mistake you can make, getting your priorities wrong.

D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

I'd recommend lessons if you're worried about your playing ability, a new amp won't make you sound any better if you already can't play.
No...Buy a new amp. It will make you want to play and get better. Who wants to play guitar when no matter what they do the amp sounds like crap? Buy an amp and then start enjoying to play more. The skills and talent will come with time...but they will come faster if you play more, and you will play more if you emjoy playing. Its that simple.

Dont listen to these guys about "wrong priorities" and crap like that. Your priority is playing...so at least make it fun. Buy an amp that doesnt make you hate playing. I never took one lesson; I just played. Thats all you gotta do to become a good guitarist...but it will take time so stick with it!!
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
OK...sorry to double post here but I checked out the link you put up for where you were looking to buy from. Dont....that site basically sucks and doesnt even have that good of deals. Look someplace else man... I double checked Spider III prices and depending on what size you want they will be very affordable. You could even get away with spending like $100 for a 15 watt or $200 for a 30 watt. I would gof or the 30 watt version if I were you though.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die