Right, recently i've set up a band with a few mates. Because i'm the only one who knows how to fingerpick, i've been put on to bass... the problem being i don't actually have one

I can cope playing on my electic for a while, but for actual performances i'm gonna need a proper bass guitar: a cheap one at that, around $200-300 although i can probably push it.

Anyhow, i've been looking about for one and generally fallen around Ibanez models which i've heard are good for the price. Also found this Fullerton but i can't seem to find any info on them

Any other recommendations for the price range? Also, whats deal with passive/active pickups?

Thanks for the help.
---------------------------------------------
This is the way the world ends;
not with a bang but a whimper
Ok, i'll see what I can do here. First of all, I need to know what kind of music you'll be playing. If it's metal/rock of some form, I reccomend an ESP LTD F104. Check them out, I have one and it currently is smoother to play on than my schecter. Also look at some Ibanez basses, and Washburns are always great for the money. A cheap Schecter might not be bad either. Just look on musiciansfriend for the brands I listed and you should find something you like. For your second question, Passive pickups don't rely on a battery while active pickups do. HOWEVER, DON'T BE FOOLED because a bass can have Passive pickups with an active preamp, and therefore would still require a battery (The ESP/LTD I mentioned requires one, so does my schecter). Active pickups usually require two 9v batteries instead of one (one for the pickups, and one for the preamp). Passive pickups are generally a little less punchy, and a little less growly, so they're great for less extreme kinds of music. Actives are generally punchy and acquire some growl when playing, so they're great for most forms of metal and other extreme music. Then again, like anything else, there are exceptions. There are some passive pickups which can be amazing for metal (like the EMG-HZs in my Schecter), and active pickups (with the right EQing) can sound great for just about anything. Basically, Actives would be my choice but for $200-300 you'll never find a bass with them. Some good pickup brands are EMG, Seymour Duncan, and Bartolini. Hope this helped!

Steve
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by ?~Mart~?
i'd recommend fender p-basses

did you see the price range.?

REAd
My Facebook

MAIN Gear:

Jackson Pro Rhoads

AMP:

Head: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier BLACK FACE

Cab: Mesa Boogie 4x12 Road King Slant
I own a Yamaha RBX 170 and it was a damn fine bass. Very cheap too. Also a squier mb-4, incredible. For the price range that is... I believe they're both about $200.

Stear clear of Rogue.
Ibanez SR300DX...its active, good looking and damn reliable...costs about 250$ i think .
I like mine very much, it does use a 9v battery but it doesnt eat it up very thin neck ala Fender jazz, very comfortable to play. My transition from guitar to bass wasn't that hard with this one.
Gear:

Ibanez SoundGear SR300DX Bass

Digitech BP200
^^^ Yeah, that's the Ibanez i was looking at.

Quote by Your41Plague12
Hope this helped!

Steve

Woah, cheers

Just looking at Schecter and there are a couple for $350 that i can afford

Should have meantioned, i play mainly rock/metal stuff.
---------------------------------------------
This is the way the world ends;
not with a bang but a whimper
Then I suggest either the ESP or the Schecter, they're both great for the price range.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Honestly, don't buy a Ibanez GSR200FM. I don't like those basses at all. Just a warning.

I'd suggest a Schecter Stiletto Deluxe-4 Bass. Those things kill. They sound amazing. When I was buying my amp, I didn't bring my bass, so I plugged this thing up, and it killed. It was pretty amazing. If I had money, I'd buy three.
Quote by xXBlack_PickXx
did you see the price range.?

REAd

You can get a used Precision for well under 300.
Quote by enzoslashslash
You can get a used Precision for well under 300.

yes! my first bass was a used MIM PBass for $200 with a generic hard case. the stock pick-up was so so but with norstrand ....
You should try going into stores and finding the little good deals they have in there, tucked away in the corner or something. I found a nice cort with EMGs in it selling for 400, pretty nice bass even without the pick ups, so don't be intimidated by those big racks full of basses at the store.
you should try to find some place to play that fullerton cus that looks like a pretty decent bass for the price
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50