Ok, first of all, Sorry about the amount of questions in this!

So when i first started playing (about 7 years ago now) i bought a REALLY cheap squier Telecaster in blonde.

Now for all i knew back then it could of been the best thign ever. But recently i took it all apart, checked out the wood, and the date of it and found it it dates to the Mid 80's and is made out of alder.

So i decided, why not upgrade it to make it sound a little better?

Im thinking of getting rid of the bridge single coil, and putting in a humbucker of some sort and completely re-wiring the whole thing with a new wiring kit.

Im completely novice at routing a guitar and the like so, would i need some form of special tool to make the spacing fit a humbucker? could i do it without this tool? if so how?

Also, I would like to fit this pickguard to it:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Tele_style_pickguards/Tele_F-Hole_Style_Pickguards.html

Would this fit onto a tele with a humbucker?
and would it fit onto a non-Fhole telecaster anyway?

These are the parts first off im considering using, I will probably change my mind if anyone tells me good or bad points about these parts.

Wiring Kit:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Wiring_kits/Wiring_Kit_for_Telecaster.html

Humbucker:
Not too sure on a humbucker to use?
Just a general humbucker for anything would suit me, It's not for metal really just for umbucker-y tones so its not as snappy as a single coil.

So if anyone can help that would be great!
Thanks!
You will need to rout a bigger cavity to fit a humbucker. To do this, you'll need a router. It can be done with a chisel, only that's harder and takes an awful lot of time. You might be able to do it at school with a drill press.

A good overall humbucker would be a Duncan Custom or JB. The problem is, you'll need a new bridge. A tele's bridge is a big metal plate onto which the bridge pickup is mounted. You'll need to get a new bridge to fit the humbucker.

If you don't want to do that, you can always get single-coil sized humbuckers. They sound the same, but are smaller and fit into SC cavities.
If im going to change the bridge to fit with a humbucker..

I decided on maybe putting a bigsby onto it aswell?

If i ge tthe bigsby this requires a special bridge to go with it doesn't it?
Actually you can put in special single coil sized humbuckers,without changing the bridge or doing any routings.
Quote by Matticuss22
Ok, first of all, Sorry about the amount of questions in this!

So when i first started playing (about 7 years ago now) i bought a REALLY cheap squier Telecaster in blonde.

Now for all i knew back then it could of been the best thign ever. But recently i took it all apart, checked out the wood, and the date of it and found it it dates to the Mid 80's and is made out of alder.

Your SquierTele sounds like it's Made in Japan (MIJ). Can you confirm and check the headstock. Also, check the SN/neck plate. If it's MIJ, there's a core group of collectors for Vintage Squiers since the MIJ Squiers, specially from 82 to mid-80s are highly valued for their quality. Some collectors pay a premium, if they're in mint condition.

Even if yours isn't mint but MIJ, the most that I'll do are change the PGs, PUs, knobs, etc. but store everything else so they can be re-assembled.

I'd hold off drilling extra or new holes and I'd avoid doing any routing/woodworking/re-shaping.

Take my comments as a preference and a suggestion. I'm merely looking at keeping the potential and future "value" if it's indeed a MIJ Squier from the 80s.

^good save, Ippon.

I'd say that you shouldn't modify a guitar like that beyond what you can completely reverse. Consider replacing the pickups with Lipsticks from guitarfetish.com, or some of their other pickups, which are excellent.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
^good save, Ippon.

I'd say that you shouldn't modify a guitar like that beyond what you can completely reverse. Consider replacing the pickups with Lipsticks from guitarfetish.com, or some of their other pickups, which are excellent.

indeed! the Japan vintage Squier collectibles usually have serial numbers starting with SQ, at least on my 82 Squier Strat - Alder, individually routed pick-up cavities, tremolo bridge with the thick block and precise woodworking.