Greetings

I'm doing music for my IGCSE exam....I need to have 3 compositions, one solo and one group performance. I've done everything apart from the group performance.

Basically, what I have to do is record a performance with a group (a duet is fine). The thing is, there aren't any singers or drummers that I know, and I'm not a very good guitarist, as you may have guessed, so instrumentals are gonna be tough.

I have 2 weeks to prepare it.

Can anyone recommend me a song? I'm thinking of "Super Colossal" or "Ten Words" by Joe Satriani.

Any other suggestions?
Last edited by sashki at Feb 25, 2007,
Ten Words is relatively easy, although I'd say the solo section in it is beginner-intermediate. You won't be able to nail Super Colossal if you're not very good at guitar.

I'd go for Ten Words, which in my opinion, is the best track on the new album.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
you could do Ten Years Gone by Led Zep. its got anywhere from 1-6 guitars playing at one time at any given point. though you would have to make the music for each of the different parts

EDIT: was also origonally instrumental when page first wrote, but then plant added lyrics.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Feb 25, 2007,
Quote by flambe chicken
Choose a song that you can nail perfectly every time; you'll get better marks.

The thing is, the songs I can nail are either
1) Too simple
2) Require a drummist and singer
3) Both

I am considering doing Ten Words, but I can't find the rhythm guitar chords.
Quote by sashki
The thing is, the songs I can nail are either
1) Too simple
2) Require a drummist and singer
3) Both

Drummist.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend Ten Words if you're completely solo. Ten Words only works with the backing. The problem is, most of the solos that are written without backing are way out of your league.

Quote by Smokey Amp
Drummist.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend Ten Words if you're completely solo. Ten Words only works with the backing. The problem is, most of the solos that are written without backing are way out of your league.

The backing can be done with strumming chords and a bass line. I just can't find the tabs for that.
Quote by sashki
The backing can be done with strumming chords and a bass line. I just can't find the tabs for that.

Hold up, you're confusing me. Are you performing this piece of music solely by yourself, or with other musicians?

Quote by flambe chicken
Choose a song that you can nail perfectly every time; you'll get better marks.

what was it you ended up playing?
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
Quote by leaping badger
what was it you ended up playing?

For what? For my SOLO (note to Smokey: SOLO) performance, I played Steve Vai's "I'm Your Secrets", which has some singing, but sounded fine without it. That's an easy song, but it sounds harder than it is.
Quote by sashki
GROUP performance.

And I found the chords for it! Whoopee!!

Yeah, you said one group performance and one solo. I was referring to the solo performance being you performing on your own.

I remember when our music department was trying to convince people to take GCSE music... 'you dont need to play an instrument or be able to sing!' haha complete bullshit.
Quote by sashki
Greetings

I'm doing music for my IGCSE exam....I need to have 3 compositions, one solo and one group performance. I've done everything apart from the group performance.

Basically, what I have to do is record a performance with a group (a duet is fine). The thing is, there aren't any singers or drummers that I know, and I'm not a very good guitarist, as you may have guessed, so instrumentals are gonna be tough.

I have 2 weeks to prepare it.

Can anyone recommend me a song? I'm thinking of "Super Colossal" or "Ten Words" by Joe Satriani.

Any other suggestions?

You may want to go with a non-metal and non-shred song. it may be out fo your taste but someone who isn't very good won't be able to pull the song off.

Try some early punk or some such.
^ XD Ten Words is hardly Metal or 'Shred', Bmm, if that's indeed what you're saying.

And I hardly think some early punk will show off his playing ability all too well.

Hardly.