Poll: Powerchord fingering?
Poll Options
View poll results: Powerchord fingering?
Index and Pinky
10 11%
Index and Ring
31 34%
Index, Ring, and Pinky
44 48%
Combination
6 7%
Other
1 1%
Voters: 92.
I'm just wondering what the most common fingering UGers use for powerchords. Theres no use for this, just wondering.

By combonation i mean like using your index and pinky for the lower frets and you index and ring for the higher frets, usually frets above 12. Like me.

Edit: Sorry for the confusion, these are fo 3 string powerchords.
Last edited by toddpens8771 at Feb 25, 2007,
That's not a very good poll. It depends on whether your using two or three string power chords. But I'm gonna vote index ring and pinky anways.
Quote by gign
That's not a very good poll. It depends on whether your using two or three string power chords. But I'm gonna vote index ring and pinky anways.

A two string "power chord" would be a double stop. Chords consist of three or more notes. Anyways, I use my index and ring finger when I play guitar, but I'm mainly a bassist. I just goof around on my friend's guitar sometimes.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
A two string "power chord" would be a double stop. Chords consist of three or more notes. Anyways, I use my index and ring finger when I play guitar, but I'm mainly a bassist. I just goof around on my friend's guitar sometimes.

yea, but root, fifth, and octave doesn't count as three notes, so a three string power chord still ain't a chord. you just add some treble by adding an octave.
on topic, for three string powerchords i use index, ring and pinky...
Index and ring, for me. My pinky's not strong/fast enough yet.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Index and ring unless I have to switch to my ring quickly, I use index and middle
I've always used my index and ring fingers. I find it so much easier.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Index and Ring finger is the best for me, but it shreads my fingers.
SG Commando #8, PM YOUNGBLOOD to join
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-6
Waiting On Vox VT15 or VT30
when i first started playing i used my index, middle and ring finger. Index for the root note, middle for the fifth and third for the octave. Its hurts your wrist so bad and pervents you from quick power chord changes. Don't do that. Now i use my index ring and pinky.
For three string power chords I use my index ring and pinkie. (For two, index and ring)
I use my index and ring finger and barre the octave with my ring finger.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
i once used the index/pinky on the 2 note power chords, but my hand got more flexible over time, so now i use the index/ring for the 2 notes PC with the addition of the pinky for the 3note PC.
very comfortable and easier to slide and progress.
I just use index and pinky. I don't see how you can use three fingers for them, it is so hard to move around or slide quickly.
Index, Ring and pinky. I can't stand playing powerchords with my index and pinky only. I just hate the feel.
3 strings --- index, ring, pinky
2 strings --- index, ring or index, pinky
Gear:
Washburn X10
Yamaha EG 112
Crate VTX30
Yamaha GA-10
I use my index and pinky, except when I am doing a 3 string powerchord with the root on the D string, then I do index ring and pinky. This is contsant untill i get to the upper frets.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
i just never understood the concept of doing a power chor and holding the higher strings with a finger thats longer than the finger holding the root note.