I Feel that I have been playing for long engough now and I want to work on my picking speed.

In band class I gotta play a couple of solo's one on the F Blues Scale, and one on the B Major Scale but no matter how hard I try to speed it up and add a bit more to the solo I end up screwing up the song.

Any Tips?
SG Commando #8, PM YOUNGBLOOD to join
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-6
Waiting On Vox VT15 or VT30
Practice and master it at a decent speed and slowly practice faster once you have it down.
You have to start slow. It gets bloody irritating, I know, but you'll just have to move up slowly.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
do it with a metronome, once you'll get in to this, try putting several notes between beats
for example, try playing 8 notes on just 4 beats
then double it, if its too fast for you lower the Tempo

it helps on getting a steady rythem when without a metronome
take a set of notes, or a scale, play it real slow first, then a little faster, little faster...etc

and then build up your speed from there
Gear:
Washburn X10
Yamaha EG 112
Crate VTX30
Yamaha GA-10
Quote by AznElliot518
Dont tense up either, thats the worst thing you could do when playing fast

Exactly. That's why we start off slow. So that when it's time to play at warp-speed, it a piece of cake.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
I Feel that I have been playing for long engough now and I want to work on my picking speed.

In that case that's what you have to....WORK on your picking speed. Unfortunately you can't just say to youself "right , it's about time i was a bit quicker", that's just the start. Picking exercises etc are all well and good, but it's still going to be weeks...possibly months before you see any major improvement. Concentrate on playing what you can play as well as possible, don't try to do anything that you can't pull off well. A slow solo played perfectly is infinitely better than a slow solo with a fast bit that you cocked up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thx for the tips guys, I'll start workign on it to day if I don't got any other work to do. Btw how does a Metronoe cost?
SG Commando #8, PM YOUNGBLOOD to join
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-6
Waiting On Vox VT15 or VT30