Page 1 of 2
ok so i have been looking at an epiphone explorer for quite some time now until my dad suggest that i get a gibson and he will help pay. so i figured why not. we went down to the local shop and picked up an epiphone, which wasnt great. then a gibson Exp. which, well, i wasnt really impressed with either. i mean for 1,300 i better be blown away. but it simply wasnt very good. and i was shocked when i picked up a few guitars for around 300 that completley blew the gibson exp. away. for example i tried a Dean ML, which was very smooth and overall a great play. i didnt sound as good as the gibson but hell, for a $1000 \diffrence i could do a pickup change and some other adjustments and it would destroy.
but now im a little confused because i did not expect this at all and landed up buying nothing because i had no idea. shouldnt the gibson be better, cuase thats what i thought at first. im just really confused now and need some advice as to what to do. as well as some talk on the quality of gibsons compared to other cheaper guitars.

sorry for so much writing lol.
i think the gibson is just personal feel.. but for you its sound better with a little cheaper guitar and then invest in some new pickups.. just try out lots of guitars, and find the one ur comfortable with
yeah ive played a '80 explorer. wasnt too impressed either, the neck was quite rough and the frets were really wide and it had a bit of a hollow sound. but you should always try others so you can find a good one.
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
If your spending that kinda of money I would look into the Dean Dimebag Darrell Series or check out a Gibson Les Paul Studio
posted by RM_MIDNIGHT
I don't know what the **** you people are talking about, I claimed Antarctica for my self decades ago, if anybody steps on it with out my permission I'll get them!
never listen to opinions on guitars on the forums every player has there guitar u need to play them to decide
I think your main beef is with the neck of the gibson, which sooo many people hate passionately. Consider something with a nicer neck, like the Dean ML, or an ESP explorer.

I like explorers. I like Vs. I think that if you try you can find one that you like.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by xchris78
If your spending that kinda of money I would look into the Dean Dimebag Darrell Series or check out a Gibson Les Paul Studio

no!!! horribly overpriced guitars (the dimebags i mean)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Haha Threadstarter, you should have checked out the guitar before you chose your name...
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Haha Threadstarter, you should have checked out the guitar before you chose your name...

ahahaha ya good call, but i was sure thats the guitar i was getting haha.
i just don't like the feel of a lot of gibsons, i played a 3500 dollar les paul supreme and was not impressed, i mean it was the hottest looking thing i've ever held...but i didn't like the feel. i have yet to play a LP or even any gibson that i liked the feel of.
Quote by mikiedaman
i just don't like the feel of a lot of gibsons, i played a 3500 dollar les paul supreme and was not impressed, i mean it was the hottest looking thing i've ever held...but i didn't like the feel. i have yet to play a LP or even any gibson that i liked the feel of.

Exact same thing that happened to me. I hated the feel and it almost felt TOO light.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
if the guitar only cost 1300 dollars it will not be a good guitar dude. Gibson cannot make mid end guitars, only high end. anythign by them under 1700 dollars is guaranteed to be garbage. if your gonna buy something for 1300 dolalrs try an ESP explorer. those never dissapoint they have a killer neck and sound great, plus the new ones with the spalted maple body look amazing.
Last edited by pimpslap1236 at Feb 25, 2007,
I don't know what the deal is with everybody bashing on Gibson. Yes, I understand that their QC has gone down and they do have some shotty guitars. I have a Gibson explorer and it is by far the best guitar I have ever played. That is why you play the guitar before you buy it. I, personally, would never buy a $3,000 guitar without playing it first. That is stupidity. I love the gibson neck and its feel, but I do have big hands.
joshuaestock.com
While people may like the look of the Explorer, not everyone is comfortable playing it. People either love the feel or hate it. There's rarely any in-between. It's a large guitar with an awkward body and a thick neck. And it tends to sit on people in wierd positions they're not used to playing in, standing or sitting. So you either love it, or you hate it.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
hawtz.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
If you like Explorer Bodies, but like deans, get a Dean Z. I love those, and maybe youll like a lot too. If your going to spend up to 1300 on a guitar get a Jackson
Gibsons are like women. You'll be with a few for the first time and wonder what the big deal is. But then you'll find one that just makes you burn up inside. You'll be in amazement and awe, witnessing the most perfect thing in the world. You just have to find the right one, and believe me, it's out there somewhere
Quote by Jimmy94
Gibsons are like women. You'll be with a few for the first time and wonder what the big deal is. But then you'll find one that just makes you burn up inside. You'll be in amazement and awe, witnessing the most perfect thing in the world. You just have to find the right one, and believe me, it's out there somewhere

that was ****ing cheesy.
You can't play one explorer and then make a general assumption about all the rest of them. You're going to have to play more than one if you want to decide whether you like them or not. Maybe you just picked a bad one; you might try two or three more and find a gem that's the greatest guitar youve ever played in your life. Or you might find that none of them impress you and Explorers just aren't your thing. But that's not something you can confidently decide until you have tried more than one.
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by Arlabester
that was ****ing cheesy.

sounds like it was a good analogy if you took the time to read it, think about it and comment on it.
your clearly judging your experience of explorers by grabbing the first explorer you saw and playing it.

keep in mind that this explorer was hanging in the shop, so anyone could play on it whenever they wanted. plus, it was not set up to your hands.

gibson makes amazing guitars, but you are going to have to pay $3000+ for the historic line.

which isn't bad considering back in the 50's a les paul cost around $400 which is about $3000+ in todays money.

the les paul standards that you see that are $1500-$2200 are just for the people who want to say they have a gibson les paul.

the historic les pauls which are $3000+ are for the serious people.

its the same with the SG's, you pay the $1200 for the "i have a gibson" model, or you pay $2000 for the 64' historic reissue for the serious people.

of course you can get great cheap instruments, but i'm just giving an example.

however in the end, although aquiring expensive gear is fun, your hands and playing technique are the final factor.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
BOOOOO!!!! All you Fender-heads need to quit hating just because your dainty little hands are too tiny to handle a Gibson, and your weak backs can't take a few extra pounds!

If yer hands are too small to play a real man's axe, go play the flute!!!!
Quote by ColdGin
Check this one out:

Made in USA:

Hamer Guitars (click here)

I'm interested in purchasing this guitar some point in time. Can anyone who has tried or owns one, comment with their opinion. I have not seen one in a store locally, and before I make a longer trip to try one, some feedback would be helpful.

Thanks
hellsbells1980
whoa whoa whoa... the standard series, of both LP and SG, are fantastic guitars. its anything below that, with the exception of maybe the LP studio, that is considered low-end gibson. if youre going to say that any gibson was made for people who just want the gibson name, it would be specials or melody makers and crap like that, not the line of standards thats been around since the creation of gibson. saying that you have to pay 3000 to find a great gibson is a bit of an ignorant statement, IMO...
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by LesPaulPwns
BOOOOO!!!! All you Fender-heads need to quit hating just because your dainty little hands are too tiny to handle a Gibson, and your weak backs can't take a few extra pounds!

your doing the same. as much as i love gibson, i also love fender, fender also makes amazing insruments. i own both fender and gibson, and each gear gives me a different sound and personal feel.

there is no point in comparing the two, or saying one is a real man's axe and the other one isn't. you can tell that to hendrix, rory gallagher, roy buchanen, etc

in the end it doesn't matter what guitar you perfer or use. if you are a good player, then thats the end of the story

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Quote by ColdGin
Check this one out:

Made in USA:

Hamer Guitars (click here)

I have one of those, except mine is black, as well as a Gibby Explorer.

I don't really like the feel of mine either to be honest, the neck is a little too thick for me, and the Hamer sounds a lot better for heavy stuff imo., but then that's because I changed the pups in it. Which is why I'm selling my Gibson, and maybe getting another LP, or Eclipse-II.
Quote by The Casualty
I have one of those, except mine is black, as well as a Gibby Explorer.

I don't really like the feel of mine either to be honest, the neck is a little too thick for me, and the Hamer sounds a lot better for heavy stuff imo., but then that's because I changed the pups in it. Which is why I'm selling my Gibson, and maybe getting another LP, or Eclipse-II.

but ive been playing longer than you and you have those?!
(ive only been playing for a year and a half)
Quote by Jimmy94
sounds like it was a good analogy if you took the time to read it, think about it and comment on it.

i did read it. i do understand it. it was just incredibly cheesy.
Quote by xchris78

I've never really been impressed by Gibson, maybe look in to some knock off's? I hear the ESP version is very high quality.
Dickless.
Quote by LesPaulPwns

my hands are huge. thats why i like fenders. theyre small and i can reach all over the place.
Quote by Arlabester
but ive been playing longer than you and you have those?!
(ive only been playing for a year and a half)

Get a loan, that's what I did. Well, my parents did, I just made the money to pay them.
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
whoa whoa whoa... the standard series, of both LP and SG, are fantastic guitars. its anything below that, with the exception of maybe the LP studio, that is considered low-end gibson. if youre going to say that any gibson was made for people who just want the gibson name, it would be specials or melody makers and crap like that, not the line of standards thats been around since the creation of gibson. saying that you have to pay 3000 to find a great gibson is a bit of an ignorant statement, IMO...

mm not necessarily

the les pauls, sg's, and es guitars that you had back then are what the historic line is right now (maybe not exactly, but close)

the les paul standards, customs, which are the standard production of today are more modern variations.

if you wanted a standard, custom, etc that sounded and felt like the originals in the 50's you would get the historics.

the standard production models are weight relieved and have holes drilled into them, and there is also a greater chance of getting a bad guitar with the standard production line.

if i recall, gibson didn't start calling there standard model "standard" until around the late 70's then in the early to mid 80's they released the reissue series which has evolved into todays historic line. so you had the standard production les paul standard and then you had the reissue series which had more attention to detail, crafted like the old ones, and better parts.

the original 50's Bursts are what gibson is all about as a whole, and the historic line is there to emulate it as best as they can. the historic line is what gibson is all about in todays age.

Why do people get so zealous about companies, jesus, they aren't your friends :P

Everyone is different and as such, won't like the same guitars...why is that so hard to accept?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
i dunno why people claim to hate guitar companies....i mean, fender guitars aren't really to my taste, but i appreciate them for what they are. i'm more of a gibson man, but in the end, ESP is better than both...for me that is.
Last edited by cheames at Feb 26, 2007,
>_>

<_<

Ltd Ftw!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by cheames
i dunno why people claim to hate guitar companies....i mean, fender guitars aren't really to my taste, but i appreciate them for what they are. i'm more of a gibson man, but in the end, ESP is better than both.

you shoudl add that ESP is better then both for you.

for me, ESP is on the lowest end of the 3

Page 1 of 2