Ok, so our class got a research paper for English recently, so I decided to do my report on schizophrenia. I had little to no knowledge of it, besides repeated Donnie Darko viewings, but things like this interest me so I decided that it would be good for me to do my report on.

Anyway, I used my study hall to look up books on the subject, and the more I found out about it the more I came to realize that I had some of the things commonly found in the condition. Some were paranoia, apathy, hate of social enviroment, everything seems difficult, not wanting to communicate with others, less friends and gravitating towards a few close people, random angry lashouts, feeling detached from reality, drinking a lot of tea/junk food etc. I became worried, because it also said that it usually starts in the mid to late teens in males. However, I definately don't have any of the more severe symptoms like hallucinations and making up random words.

I don't want to talk to my parents or friends about it, because:
1) they won't believe me
2) I don't know its schizophrenia, and if it is its definitely not severe
3) it may seem like i'm just doing this for attention

So I don't know where to go now. Its not bad I just don't want to get progressively worse until I am experiencing the positive symptoms. And it just seems like I've been so ****ing detatched lately, and I don't want to do something I'm going to regret. And I don't want to stop bathing either, which is another symptom.

Help?
Those look like symptoms of being an average teen male.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

You're probably just paranoid.

Which now that I think of it is a symptom...hmm...

But no, just reading that probably made you think OMG I HAVE THIS! If you read about some other mental condition, you could probably find lots of symptoms that fit you as well. It's all in your head if you ask me.
I highly doubt its schizophrenia, but if your really worried about it, just tell your parents it means something to- you to see a doctor/psychiatrist and i'm sure they'll understand.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
You only joined the site today, and already you're asking us whether you have a mental disorder?!
Go see a shrink, n00b!

EDIT: Looking at other people's posts, I seem nasty. Sorry.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Just talk to your parents about it, I know it'll probably be hard, but it's what you should do.
They won't think you're just looking for attention, they're your parents, I'm sure they care about you more than that.

If you don't want to talk to them, I'm sure your college has a medical advisor/nurse/clinic that you can go to in private.
Thanks for the quick replies. I know most of the things sound normal, its just the whole paranoia and detachment from reality that worry me. I keep thinking about death and God and don't really feel like socializing any more, which just might be normal.

PS~ I look at these forums a lot, just never post. I never knew how to activate my account when I decided to today it wouldn't let me so I made a new one.
Dude, you're a teenager. Believe it or not, a lot of teenagers are like that. Just because you have some of the symptoms doesn't mean you have it. If we all took a few signs to mean an illness, the world would be full of people sufferring from damn near everything.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dirge Humani
You're probably just paranoid.

Which now that I think of it is a symptom...hmm...

But no, just reading that probably made you think OMG I HAVE THIS! If you read about some other mental condition, you could probably find lots of symptoms that fit you as well. It's all in your head if you ask me.

bad choice of words or deliberate pun?
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Dude, you're a teenager. Believe it or not, a lot of teenagers are like that. Just because you have some of the symptoms doesn't mean you have it. If we all took a few signs to mean an illness, the world would be full of people sufferring from damn near everything.

Its not that its a few signs, its that the ones that are mentioned really describe me. Especially paranoia and feeling detached from the world. I feel like everyone is talking about me, even though I know they aren't. And when I get in an arugment with my parents I keep thinking they're going to come and stab me while I sleep, even though they would never do that. I'm always staring into space, especially around other people. I don't eat much anymore, other than tea and chips. I'm just not hungry. All of a sudden I want to do things to get into trouble even though I've been a pussy my whole life. It just scares me, because I don't want to get worse. And there was this girl I rly liked, but when she tried to make out with me I said I had to go and I'd call her, for no reason other than I didn't feel like having to deal with being close to someone. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But.. thats a symptom of schizophrenia, so its like a big circle.
Dude, it said in the symptoms that eating a lot of (junk) food is a symptom.

Not eating isn't.

Quote by JamieB
Dude, it said in the symptoms that eating a lot of (junk) food is a symptom.

Not eating isn't.

Maybe I'm just not hungry. Or maybe I need to go to chipotle. I haven't been there in a while.
Quote by pinkertown
Its not that its a few signs, its that the ones that are mentioned really describe me. Especially paranoia and feeling detached from the world. I feel like everyone is talking about me, even though I know they aren't. And when I get in an arugment with my parents I keep thinking they're going to come and stab me while I sleep, even though they would never do that. I'm always staring into space, especially around other people. I don't eat much anymore, other than tea and chips. I'm just not hungry. All of a sudden I want to do things to get into trouble even though I've been a pussy my whole life. It just scares me, because I don't want to get worse. And there was this girl I rly liked, but when she tried to make out with me I said I had to go and I'd call her, for no reason other than I didn't feel like having to deal with being close to someone. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But.. thats a symptom of schizophrenia, so its like a big circle.

Dude, believe it or not, everybody is like that to some extent. I've always been paranoid (the amount of times me and my friends have had arguements because of ideas made up in my head about what they're saying about me is unbelievable), and I'm not particually close to people either. And guess what, I also have an imagination and stare out into space!

Oh noes, Dinky has schizophrenia!
No, she doesn't. And neither do you.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Dude i do some of the stuff you wrote down but i'm definitely not a schizophrenic.
Quote by Dinkydaisy

she speaks the truth
Quote by pinkertown

Anyway, I used my study hall to look up books on the subject, and the more I found out about it the more I came to realize that I had some of the things commonly found in the condition. Some were paranoia, apathy, hate of social enviroment, everything seems difficult, not wanting to communicate with others, less friends and gravitating towards a few close people, random angry lashouts, feeling detached from reality, drinking a lot of tea/junk food etc. I became worried, because it also said that it usually starts in the mid to late teens in males. However, I definately don't have any of the more severe symptoms like hallucinations and making up random words.

Help?

youre ****in pussy, eh
get over your self and learn that its called puberty, dumbass.

if those symptoms constitute schizophrenia then half the world should be committed every few weeks,
Quote by chocolatguitar
...i make up random words.

manokishooka!

I made up that word last Tuesday, your ignorance is incondeneering.

Quote by FeatherBreeze
youre ****in pussy, eh
get over your self and learn that its called puberty, dumbass.

if those symptoms constitute schizophrenia then half the world should be committed every few weeks,

QFT

Schizophrenia is a serious mental condition that leaves you detached from reality and unable to operate in the real world. i'm not an expert, but i don't think you can have "a minor case of schizophrenia."

edit: does being paranoid about having schizophrenia count as having a symptom of it?
Quote by highway61
QFT

Schizophrenia is a serious mental condition that leaves you detached from reality and unable to operate in the real world. i'm not an expert, but i don't think you can have "a minor case of schizophrenia."

edit: does being paranoid about having schizophrenia count as having a symptom of it?

i know what it is, im starting my third year of psychology next month.

this guy, if anything, is a hypochondriac.
there is nothing to suggest that he suffers from any form of Schizophrenia

btw threadstarter how old are you?
it's better to talk to your parents now than let it go untreated.

im sure it's nothing, don't get too worried. but just in case id talk to someone about it anyway.
youll be fine.
Quote by astepabove
Hey. Guess what. I'm hittin' omgnowai. Yep. That's right. Seriously. Ask her. She'll say "Yes, astepabove is hittin' me".

yeah...he is. hehe
Quote by FeatherBreeze
i know what it is, im starting my third year of psychology next month.

i know i was agreeing with you. misunderstanding?

on a semi-unrelated note are u taking psychology as a major? i took a course this past semester and i'm starting to look into it.