hi i've a noobish question,

regarding similar riffs like the following(where it includes pentatonic minor scales),
would it be advisable to barre the chord or just use individual fingers to press the string when picking the respective string?

I prefer to finger the entire chord, then I can concentrate on picking properly.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Quote by crzywhiteboy
stairway yo heaven,i individualy finger the notes

how abt other songs?
i personally like individual fingering - especially with electric/distortion, the notes might ring out longer if barred.
If you are playing A SCALE and not an arpeggio then I play individual.
If you are playing an arpeggio then when its clean I just bar and play, when distorted you must either mute strings to stop them ringing or just individually play them.

But whatever is comfortable for you.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
cause i'm tryin' to learn the more "correct" way of playing instead of taking shortcuts.
for ease of playing i usually barre the 5th fret in the above example.
how do u manage to mute the strings effectively? tt's one technique i need to master.

Quote by John W
If you are playing A SCALE and not an arpeggio then I play individual.
If you are playing an arpeggio then when its clean I just bar and play, when distorted you must either mute strings to stop them ringing or just individually play them.

But whatever is comfortable for you.
I was taught that neither way is more "correct" - individual fingering won't be a shortcut unless the music requires strums. like "little wing" for example.

for the music you put down you can just use your right palm to mute everything - releasing it only for the ties.-but if that's not the kind of sound you want - individually finger them.
Quote by KryptNet
I was taught that neither way is more "correct" - individual fingering won't be a shortcut unless the music requires strums. like "little wing" for example.

for the music you put down you can just use your right palm to mute everything - releasing it only for the ties.-but if that's not the kind of sound you want - individually finger them.

ok thanks for the advice =D
"little wing" by g3?
to me barre-ing the fret's more like a "shortcut" to me.
haha.
In that you'd want to finger them individually

barre only when you have to (for lack of fingers); you have far more control over a fingertip then the side of your finger
Little Wing is by Jimi Hendrix
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/shakespeareJF/d.jpg[/img]
'Music is the face of God' - John Frusciante