E||-------|--------------------------------------------------|
B||-------|--------------------10-10-------------------------|
G||-------|--12-------11----------------12-------11-11-------|
D||9--9---|-----9--9-----9--9--------9-----9--9--------9--9--|
A||-------|--------------------------------------------------|
[B]   \/ /\     /\ \/ /\ /\ \/ /\ [/B] 

(all 16th notes)

basically it's the pattern of picking two notes on one string, one note on the next string, repeat.

I play the strokes as indicated in the tab. If I play it slow it goes ok, if I speed up then I don't have enough time to get my pick on the D string again for the double 9's (if I try then it sort of hits the G string again).

Am I using the wrong picking pattern or what? please help me, this is driving me insane!!
Quote by gutsman
I'm having big difficulties playing this piece of tab fast:

B||-------|--------------------10-10-------------------------|
G||-------|--12-------11----------------12-------11-11-------|
D||9--9---|-----9--9-----9--9--------9-----9--9--------9--9--|
A||-------|--------------------------------------------------|
[B] \/ /\ /\ \/ /\ /\ \/ /\ [/B]

(all 16th notes)

basically it's the pattern of picking two notes on one string, one note on the next string, repeat.

I play the strokes as indicated in the tab. If I play it slow it goes ok, if I speed up then I don't have enough time to get my pick on the D string again for the double 9's (if I try then it sort of hits the G string again).

Am I using the wrong picking pattern or what? please help me, this is driving me insane!!

We could probably help better if you described the rhythm.
well i don't really see the problem since you've got the stroke rythm there?

(Don't know the enligsh names for the fingers but Thumb,1,2,3,4(littlefinger)

Just play it lika a scale, but finger nr1 on the 9fret then play 12fret with 4 11fret with 3 10freth with 2 ? was easy?

Edit: If you have problem to get down to the g string again change so you hit the last 10 with a upstroke and the first 9 after that with an upstroke, makes it easier
Last edited by neoteric at Feb 25, 2007,
Songname is Cynic - Celestial voyage

and regular alternate picking feels very awkward to me for this part... but maybe that's just me though.
Quote by gutsman
Songname is Cynic - Celestial voyage

and regular alternate picking feels very awkward to me for this part... but maybe that's just me though.

Ya, Cynic is known for doing really awkard shit like that, best thing to do is keep playing slow and practice with metrenome.
you can stick to a fret structure because the only variation is from the 12th to 11th fret on the G

index finger on the G-9- locked in place as well as the pinky on the B-10 and the middle finger on the G-11 then move the ring finger up and down on the 12th when needed

i might have it a bit wrong, i haven't got a guitar in my hands, but thats the kinda idea then alternate pick through it