Page 1 of 2
Ok so i started playing guitar when I as 15. Can anyone name some famous guitarists that also started late? Ive been looking around on wiki and i couldnt find any. I just wanted to find out if the age you start playing has anything to do with succes, for example does starting late limit your success. Just thougt it might be interesting.
Herman Li started at 16 I think.

Zakk Wylde started at 15 also.
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

Jerry Garcia Started after he was 20 years old, or at least he was in the army when he started playing.
Quote by Metal claw
I only ever do it whenever I get a new toothbrush. I just stuck the old one up my ass then threw it away when I was done.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
I believe Slash started at 15.

To Wikipedia AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Edit: Yup, 15
Quote by Dæmönika
Quote by italynlprkn
yo tambien
What the hell's a tambien?
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
its like basic math. 1 + -1 = 1
George Harrison started when he was like 13 and was playing on the Ed Sullivan show at 18. Pretty crazy how talented he was for only playing for 5 years.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Slash when he was 16, but then he dropped out of school and practiced about 10 hours a day

That one last shot's a Permanent Vacation
And how high can you fly with broken wings?
Life's a journey not a destination
And I just can't tell just what tomorrow brings

For info how to join the team PM Bombtrack
Kirk Hammett was 14, I think.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Didn't Tony MaCalpine start guitar pretty late?

But he had it groin pretty easy as he was already a piano virtuoso and a violin player
Quote by greenday1182
i just heard the most amazing solo ever. it's in a song called "holiday" by green day. its even harder than some of blink 182s stuff!! im gonna learn this solo right now! give it a listen, its really good sounding and not too easy.
Muhammad SUicmez started around 16 or 17, and only played for 3 years. Hes 30 now, and has tons more years logged, and look how great he is.
I started when I was 17. I wish I had started a few years earlier...
Btw: Tom Morello started at around 13 but never really got into it. When he was around 17 he had a renewed interest in guitar and that was when he really started playing.
Last edited by Masamune at Feb 25, 2007,
im 15 and i just started playing. but then again i have musical background, i take theory and have played piano for a while. i dont know if that has anything to do with it
Quote by mr kipling
Fred Durst.

yeah, he still hasn't started, crazy isn't it?
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
I started at 14.
I think Clapton started at 18, I heard someone say that here before. Don't quote me on it though.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
I started at 15, this this is gonna be my 3rd year playing guitar, I guess I got kinda good because I was worried Id never "catch up" to other kids and players. At some point I realized that they were all inferior (in my town, dont worry)
my buddy told me that one of the judas priest guitarist started when he was 22, cant remember which one thought.
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
Clapton, page and Beck all started at teh same time as friends in England...... Beck was around 14

There must be something in the water in that part of england, because they all lived within a 10 minute drive of one another..... Jeff and Jimmy also learned to play together acording to a Guitar Player interview with the two of them (!)
Quote by AngilasGuy
I started at 14.
I think Clapton started at 18, I heard someone say that here before. Don't quote me on it though.

I think that's wrong. He was one of the most respected guitarists in London by 18 so yeah...probably around 14 with Page.
This is interesting, many guitar greats started later than alot of people, you hear of people who start when they are 3 but for some reason do not find fame etc.
Quote by fadingboy
I think Jimmy Page started at 15 and Jimi Hendrix at 14.

Didnt hendrix get a one string ukelele(sp?) when he was 10 though?
Zeppelinism Extremist, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

...and the victim screameth, saying "Hast thou not heard of elastoplast?!"
Quote by Daitrying

yeah he did and that's probably where a lot of his musicianship came from because he'd spend every day getting every possible sound out of it, but technique-wise i think it's probably pretty limited what you can do on a one string ukulele. most people wish they'd started earlier so they'd have better technique i think so in those terms people who started at 14 are on a level playing field with hendrix. i started at 15 so i'm quite happy that a lot of classic rock greats started quite late.
wtf.. so many of these facts are completely wrong lol. Page was on a tv show in a skipple or skiddle whatever you call it band at the age of 13!. check the vid on youtube. Flea started in college? no! he formed chilis in highschool.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Eric Clapton started when he was 16
K.K Downing started when he was 16 (JP rhythm and lead though more rhythm than lead)
Glenn Tipton started when he was 21 :O (JP rhythm and lead though more lead guitar)
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by The Iron Man
wtf.. so many of these facts are completely wrong lol. Page was on a tv show in a skipple or skiddle whatever you call it band at the age of 13!. check the vid on youtube. Flea started in college? no! he formed chilis in highschool.

Skiffle. He got his first spanish guitar when he was about 15, so it's the idiot who put the video on youtube who's wrong.
Quote by urik

Glenn Tipton started when he was 21 :O

That's why he started playing leads only after some albums, right?
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Satriani was in high school I believe (He quit football to play guitar Think if he were a football player- he would be the best bald white halfback of all time!), Paul Gilbert was 15 I think, he might have been a little younger.
Quote by Daitrying

I heard that it was a banjo that hendrix restrung like a guitar
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Green_Jelly
That's why he started playing leads only after some albums, right?

Don't know. But I made the H.W, and he played for like 7 years when he joined Judas Priest. 7 years is enough to solo.

EDIT: sorry for the double post
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
I heard that it was a banjo that hendrix restrung like a guitar

Hendrix was too poor to be able to afford guitar strings He had to get the ones that other kids didnt want any more.
Quote by zwound
Kurt Cobain: 14

We should probably stick to only mentioning good guitarists.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
Page 1 of 2