I currently play a 4 string and looking to buy a six string bass in the future and was wondering if anyone can suggest any?

There is some problems though - the music shops were i live do not sell 6 string basses or at least im yet to see one.

Are C strings not really hard to come across?

thanks

My price range would probably be between £200 - £300.

350/400 at severe push

for americans:

392.497 USD - 588.701 USD
Last edited by str84ever at Feb 26, 2007,
Don't play bass, but I've only heard of a 5 stringer.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
I'm sure most major string manufacturers cater for 6 string basses.

and try the Ibanez Sr506. seems good for the money (£439!)
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Get a 5 string before 6.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
my bassist had been looking into getting a six string. first of all, dont get a five string. if your going to go for an extra string you might as well go all the way and get the six. and i wouldnt buy one without playing it first because you might not like it, the neck is ridiculously fat on six strings.
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by rage6945
my bassist had been looking into getting a six string. first of all, dont get a five string. if your going to go for an extra string you might as well go all the way and get the six. and i wouldnt buy one without playing it first because you might not like it, the neck is ridiculously fat on six strings.

Thats one of the problems. I have played one before and it wasn't to bad, but every bass is different so that would be one problem.

Im also not sure if it would be better to get a fretted or fretless one. DAMN DECISIONS!
whaT Genre's of Music will you be playing? ?

For most rock/metal you won't want a 6 string, no need of the C string, but the B so 5 string has it's advantage for being a lot lighter and thinner

I just see no need to have a higher string than G on a bass, even when down tuning.

5 string is the way to go.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
THeres not really much use for the C but if you want to play some Dream Theater stuff or plan on incorporating the C string than go ahead and get one but if you have no idea than you might want to just get a 5 string.
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
I really like primus so i wanna learn some of the tapped stuff e.g. Jerry was a race car driver etc. (all the songs claypool plays on 6 string and are nearly impossible to learn on 4 string)

Also it would be useful for school band i play in as access to more notes easier with less hand movement.

I do intend to keep my 4 string though. So i can interchange.

It could also be useful for me for writing material.

I would probably also tune it into guitar tuning so i could play stuff on that.

Already learnt teen spirit on the bass using flamenco. So..

Just want one for fun. I orignally got a bass just to mess about on but its became something more serious.
Last edited by str84ever at Feb 25, 2007,
Yeah I know how you feel I want an Ibanez SR506 but none of the shops around have any and I phoned and emailed at like 20 different ones. So if you make them order one, you have to buy it. Anyways yeah most major string brands have strings for 6 stringers.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
I'm actually buying some 6-string half-rounds from D'addario. If you can find 6-string half-rounds, I'm sure that finding regular strings should be no problem. =D

Unfortunately, I only have a 5-string, so I can't help you out with the bass itself.
Quote by sTx
Don't play bass, but I've only heard of a 5 stringer.

Why are you posting then?...
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
I'm sure most major string manufacturers cater for 6 string basses.

D'Addario, DR, and Ernie Ball make variations of 6-string bass strings.

I heartily suggest a Dean Edge 6. It's a great bass for the price, and not as ubiquitous as the Ibanez. Not that I don't like the Ibanez, it's a great bass...I would just rather have something more unique than a middle of the road Ibanez.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Get a 5 string before 6.

any reason?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
whaT Genre's of Music will you be playing? ?

For most rock/metal you won't want a 6 string, no need of the C string, but the B so 5 string has it's advantage for being a lot lighter and thinner

I just see no need to have a higher string than G on a bass, even when down tuning.

5 string is the way to go.

ive seen this come up a few times in the thread and im just going to use this one as an example. theres NO C string on a six string bass. its a B. how would a C string fit anywhere on the bass chromaticly??
gear

PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Quote by rage6945
ive seen this come up a few times in the thread and im just going to use this one as an example. theres NO C string on a six string bass. its a B. how would a C string fit anywhere on the bass chromaticly??

Um.. what?

^ six string bass tuning = BEADGC
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by rage6945

Lawl...Yoos are a moron.
You didn't say what your budget is.
I have had a go on this bass (or one very similar) http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71569
It's expensive but it plays really nice and sounds awesome. Personally I found the neck to be a bit too thick for me but I have relatively small hands and I suppose it just takes time to adjust when you're used to playing a four string.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Then maybe go for something like this.
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/15911
I haven't played it personally but every other mid-range Ibanez bass I've played has been really good. It is a bit of a cliché on here but the best advice really is to try a few out and see what you like best (although I know this isn't often possible as local music shops tend not to have the same range of products that you can get online)
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by Forcemaster
Um.. what?

^ six string bass tuning = BEADGC

your retarded, that doesnt work. it doesnt matter, guitar or bass, or what string you start on, its e a d g b e. so if your starting with a low b, then its b e a d g b. i dont know you may be basing this on someone who uses a different tuning but standard is b to b
gear

PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
i played on an Ibanez SR506 and it was a pretty good 6 stringer. i liked it im not a fan of bart pickups but that bass was pretty good. i also recomend a ESP 206. those 2 will give you the most bang for youre buck and will give you huge tone.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by rage6945
your retarded, that doesnt work. it doesnt matter, guitar or bass, or what string you start on, its e a d g b e. so if your starting with a low b, then its b e a d g b. i dont know you may be basing this on someone who uses a different tuning but standard is b to b

Dude...six string bass standard tuning is BEADGC. Look it up.

Please don't give out false information.
Quote by rage6945

You're retarded. Basses are tuned in straight fourths. Guitars have a Spanish tuning which is straight fourths up until the b string (which is the third). Tuned in fourths a bass is BEADGC. Standard is B-C. Don't argue your point anymore, because it's wrong. You phail at tuning.