are solos made up of special things or can it be anything?
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
What sort of special things? Fairies, Satyrs, and your birthday are not part of standard guitar solos.

A solo is nothing more than one instrument being the feature of a section.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
ok scales..........ok alright
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Scales, licks, runs, melody.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by The*Music*Man
scales

it doesn't have to be just scales, it could be made up of arpeggios, intervals, or triads as well as scales.

Just look at the later part of Wes Montgomery's solo in West coast blues. His improv starts off with some single note runs, then goes into octaves and intervals, and then into full out chords

that is by far my favorite solo of all time
i jus play stuff. a lot of bends hammerons & pull ofss and wat not. and i do a lot of tremolo picking since i got good at it
Quote by fenderfrk10
it doesn't have to be just scales, it could be made up of arpeggios, intervals, or triads as well as scales.

Just look at the later part of Wes Montgomery's solo in West coast blues. His improv starts off with some single note runs, then goes into octaves and intervals, and then into full out chords

that is by far my favorite solo of all time

Everything you play is in a scale, but i'm just being a prick to annoy you right now.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
Everything you play is in a scale, but i'm just being a prick to annoy you right now.

of course everything comes from one scale or another i'm just saying that it is not always best to take a scalar approach to improving/soloing. there are many more approaches
Quote by deathmetalboy
are solos made up of special things or can it be anything?

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with string,
Cream coloured ponies and crisp apple strudel,
Door bells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings,
Girls in white dresses and blue satin sashes,
Snow-flakes that stay on my nose and eye-lashes,
Silver white winters that melt into spring.

It's an art.

But seriously, notes that sound good. Learn scales, learn which scales sound good where, and you'll have a much easier time making up solos.
Keep it serious, guys
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
solos are made of sugar and spice and everything nice. oh wait...
Quote by astepabove
Hey. Guess what. I'm hittin' omgnowai. Yep. That's right. Seriously. Ask her. She'll say "Yes, astepabove is hittin' me".

yeah...he is. hehe
Yeah, learnin' theory is the way 2 go!
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Alright, the way I see it, there are two ways to approach soloing/improving. There is the chordal approach and the scalar approach.

The chordal approach simply means that your solo is based off of the chord that you are soloing over. For instance playing the notes C,E,G, and D over a Cadd9 chord in some way would, in my book, be considered a chordal approach to soloing. Although this might sound a little boring, you could always go this way to play it safe and it would still sound alright as long as you add enough variation to your phrasing.

The scalar approach contains notes that are not in the chord as well as the chord tones (NCT's and chord tones all in one). This, for example would be playing a C major scale, or the C Lydian mode over a Cadd9 chord. Although this approach leaves you with more possibilities, it can sound alot like noodling if not done correctly.

So, IMO, a good solo takes both of these approaches into account, combines them, adds some good phrasing, and WABOOM- a good sounding solo

hope this helps a little...
Quote by PieceOfMind666
Yeah, learnin' theory is the way 2 go!

+1

Learn the modes 1st... I thought you were a shredder?
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
A solo can be anything you want it to be. If it sounds good, its good, if it sounds shit, its shit. Soloing doesn't have to be shredding or playing scales or anything like that.
A solo is a melody containing notes. One could split it up into sections and give it complicated names, explaining how it conforms to the backing track; this is often useful, but one could also say its just one note after another, even a couple if you harmonize a bit.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Solo's are Feeling, Knowledge Patterns, Melodies licks Etc

Guitar is one Big Pattern everything of it has to do with patterns Licks followed with good scales and melodic feel can make up great solo's

The Intro To The Solo of Domination is a AMinor Scale But with the last note changed to "16" and so on

Solo's can also be somthing speical something that just speaks for its self.
Member #2 of the dean owners club, PM g1asseye to join.

92% of teens have moved on to rap repost this if you are one of the 8% that listen to real music

Rock IN Peace Darrell Lance Abbott \m/
^ theres a note "16" i thought notes had names....

just kidding, seriously though, as everyone has said learn music theory.... my best advice is to notice that generally solos are
1) a combination of scales/fills
2) arpeggiated and chordal movements

and the most important part....

3) counterpoint!!! this is something to be studied after a decent amount of theory, its basically a way of playing a countermelody against a melody that sounds good. it came real natural to me (kirk hammett and dimebag did this a LOT, since they were my main influences it came easily) but some people because they don't really listen to the solos have trouble with this.