I got a pretty plain guitar at christmas and have been struggling to teach myself ever since... sat with my little book and CD.. buuuutt, well i can play a couple of chords, do some fingering, can kind of alternate pick but i need some suggestions of first songs to learn. At the moment I can play little tunes but id like to know what everyone else had as their first song for learning, maybe I could make some much needed progress...
Keep practicing those chords, they'll be valuable in the future for learning scales etc.

As for now, look up some simple stuff. In your position, power chords are your best friend. Have a look at Smells Like Teen Spirit, or any Nirvana for that matter.

Also look into some pop-punk stuff (in you're into that kind of thing), Blink 182, Green Day etc. It may not be your personal favourite genre of music (I know it definitely isn't mine), but there's probably some songs of that style that you like which should be pretty easy to tackle.

Hope this helps a bit.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Teen Spirit is a good suggestion. It might be kind of hard to stretch your fingers at first, but it's one of the easiest to learn, and it sounds pretty good.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
try seven nation army by the white stripes, or big balls by ac/dc. pretty soon any ac/dc will be real easy, too
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
I started out by playing the theme to the godfather, but I didn't play the extended solo that Slash does.
Coheed and Cambria is pretty easy to learn and sounds good.

Just stay away from there solos for now unless its a slow one :P
polly by nirvana will be easier than SLTS, and it helps you a lot with basic chords

tro some green day songs, they're easy too
Nirvana, Blink 182, Green Day... etc

Mmmm, I love playing Blink 182, so much fun
Gear:
Washburn X10
Yamaha EG 112
Crate VTX30
Yamaha GA-10
the first song i learned easy was 45 by shinedown easiest in the world...you can sing it easy too thats a plus
Don't put yourself down like that!
If anyone should say something like that it's me, the emo-ish one! (I get called that all the time online... I dunno why *sigh*, Slumps shoulders in negative display... )

I wouldn't really recommend Iorn Man as a first song to learn unless you don't include the first solo, and probably not the second solo... hamett91 ... That particular set of solos can be quite hard for a beginner... I know, I'm currently trying to learn that particular piece's solos.

Instead, I would recommend other Black Sabbath pieces like:

Snow Blind (if you can learn to tune down 1 whole step)
Paranoid (I really recommend this one as a first song to learn, challenging enough for a beginner, but definatly one of their easiest songs to learn)

Manson's version of Sweet Dreams was my first piece of music. It's easy enough, I learned both guitar parts . (John 5's Solo guitar and his rythm guitar are counted seperate if you listen to the album version, as far as I know anyways).

I hear Smells Like Teen Spirit is an easy Nirvana piece, but I'd go for Come As You Are first to get your hands around their rythm and cadence ideas.

As far as those chords and scales, KEEP ON TRUCK'N! You have no idea how important those two things are to both rythm and lead playing (yes, you do need scales even in rythm... as it's where you get your chords from, not the other way around ).
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Feb 26, 2007,
lithium
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
how about wonderwall by oasis ? pretty easy song, and only two of your fingers move around the fretboard =)
Quote by x-x-m-x-x
I got a pretty plain guitar at christmas and have been struggling to teach myself ever since... sat with my little book and CD.. buuuutt, well i can play a couple of chords, do some fingering, can kind of alternate pick but i need some suggestions of first songs to learn. At the moment I can play little tunes but id like to know what everyone else had as their first song for learning, maybe I could make some much needed progress...

lollz, i can't believe i wasn't the first to be immature.
If you know most basic chords I would try and learn almost any Beatles song they are pretty simple.
Teen Spirit is a good suggestion. It might be kind of hard to stretch your fingers at first, but it's one of the easiest to learn, and it sounds pretty good.

Why do people think Teen Spirit is easy for beginners...it's not? The rhythm is damn fiddly, and also it uses barre chords which are nigh on impossible for a beginner, not to mention the muted strings inbetween which are a pretty advanced rhythm technique.

TS - keep on wth the basic open chords for the time being and just play songs that use them. At the moment you just want your hands to get used to the guitar and you want to build a bit of strength. Look at older stuff - the Beatles suggestion was a good one, but any songs you look at just use the chord sheets for the time being, tabs can come later.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
my first song ever was jumper by third eye blind so you might check that one out

or highway to hell by acdc was a really easy one too

hell any acdc is pretty much beginner level and fun to play
"Time has fallen asleep in the afternoon sunshine"
Alright, I've only been playing a couple of months and I've had a move in the middle and such and I haven't been playing as much as I should of, so I'm basically in the same boat as you. I'm going to suggest Violent Femmes - Blister In The Sun.

The Intro is piss-easy and the rest only uses four chords - C, D, E minor and G. It's helping me out a fair bit with chord changes and it's feeling a bit like I'm actually getting decent. Also, the intros to Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends and Good Riddance are easy (Good Riddance might take a bit of time). They sound good as well, so check em out.
my first song was "alive" by P.O.D.. it's a really easy song that's fun to play. i think the next song was "smells like teen spirit" or an easy blink 182 song.

learn how to read tabs and just play easy songs that you like listening to. RATM is also really fun to play.
Some Kind of Monster or Dirty Window by Metallica.......St.Anger has something useful in it.....simple riffs!
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I teach guitar and some easy starters are " House of the Rising Sun" original artist unkown but most popular is the one by the Animals. ...Bang A Gong by T.Rex........Layla by Eric Clapton ..this one after you get a couple of others down the rhythm guitar is real cool with the moving bass line. and lets see "Horse With No Name" done by America.

If you want to get real good, and can't take lessons. I suggest keep working through that book. Make sure the books you use, are ones that progress the student along. I use the Berkley books, and ....The Christopher Parkening Guitar Method books 1&2, plus a lot of speed drills and exercises.
Last edited by gtr1960 at Mar 20, 2007,
Learn the classical fingerings and practice those via scales to get your fingers nimble it will make learning songs much easier.