i have a jem7v and i want to make it so that you can do the coil split thing so i got more tone options...what do you guys think i should do?how much does it cost?and is it worth the money?
Last edited by jason_lee_91 at Feb 25, 2007,
Is it a coil split that you're after or a coil tap??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbucker#Coil_splits

Explains the difference.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
No problem.

I would recommend it and it shouldn't be too pricey at all.

Go for it.
what do i need for it?and how much is not pricey?can most guitar electrictions do it for me?
Any guitar tech should be able to do it. Remember that all guitar shops charge different prices so I can't give you an exact price but I do know that it isn't too pricey.

As for what you would need to do it...I'm not too sure but I suppose the best place to start would be getting some solder and a soldering iron maybe.
WHOA! No, not every guitar tech can do this with every pickup. There are a hell of a lot of them who have no business opening up a pickup and unless the pickup is already wired for it that will be necessary.

If the wire from the pickup has a shield and more than two leads it may be wired for it. A capable tech would know at looking. If it doesn't then you do NOT want to try to open up the pickup and rewire it. Some techs can do this work. Most will sell you a pickup that is already wired for it.

After the pickup everything else is relatively easy. Basically all you'll need is a switch to ground the tap lead.
you need a spst switch ( i think) to set up a selection between the ground and the lead of the Coil of the pickup. Some pickups have an individual lead and ground for each coil, and these can be coil tapped/split.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
lol check on www.guitarfetish.com they have coil taps. i bought one and intalled it in my strat their fairly cheap. Intalling it is another issue, i put mine in myself and it wasnt too hard.
What's coil tap for?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
I don't know if you can do it on a Jem - the pickups are already split in positions 2 & 4 so all the pickup wires are in use. If you wanted a dedicated split on one bucker you'd have to disconnect one of the coils from the 5-way and lose the inbetween position which is arguably more useful and better sounding than a stand-alone split humbucker.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
coil tap/split either splits a humbucker by disabling half of it and turning it into a single coil or it series,parallel or other types of different wiring depends on how you install it...
Last edited by cloud_x_13 at Feb 26, 2007,