My new highschool has a Jazz/Blues band that I'm going to try out. I wanna do it with two other friends a drummer and another guitarist. I was wondering what are some good songs to play that are somewhat catchy and have some good licks involved. Thank you.
[IMG]http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7971/ugsig7ej.gif[/IMG]
the blues bosa? Mystery train or something forgoto what it was called
Actually, I'm trying out for jazz band sometime next year....and I have no clue what you do there and what do you do to get it.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
you play jazz music.....i dont know what you're talking about with another guitarist and drummer for tryouts, usually you try out by yourself, showing that you know your chords and whatnot. also, many guitarists cant read music....this is prty much necessary for jazz band
anyhoo good luck on getting in
improvise, jazz/blues bands arent about memorizing licks, its about feeling the music and imporvising effectivly. get some backing tracts and practice
texas flood-SRV
Gear:
-Brownsville BMAG3 (acoustic)
-Fender 70s Reissue 60th anniversary Stratocaster
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-Roland Digital Piano HP-4500
-(other stuff)
able to sight read chords and melodies...and not just puny minor and major chords add 9's and sus 4 and add 13ths and such

know you music theory mainly based around harmony
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
You're going to need to be pretty good at standard notation. I'm starting to get "okay" with it right now, but boy is it a pain in the ass.

If you know standard notation well, then just practice some skills out, some good licks and you should be fine
Gear:
Washburn X10
Yamaha EG 112
Crate VTX30
Yamaha GA-10
Do you really even learn anything in that class? I mean, theory or skill wise.

In my school, it's apparently a breeze chilled out class....easy A.

And the jazz band teacher seems to like me and my playing anyway...so I guess it's an okay thing for me to get in. *shrugs*

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
well i in an ib program so it might be different but were taught small bits of useful theory so we can improvise in different scales... and he almost always makes us look away from the sheet music if we have a solo
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
How sad...playing guitar blues in high school. This is the time when you're supposed to kick ass on guitar and go heavy metal.

Nobody played blues when I was in high school.

If you have to ask which songs to play you haven't heard enough jazz/blues music to make up your own mind.
Good Luck!
^^Not everyone is a metal head...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Siciliano
How sad...playing guitar blues in high school. This is the time when you're supposed to kick ass on guitar and go heavy metal.

Nobody played blues when I was in high school.

If you have to ask which songs to play you haven't heard enough jazz/blues music to make up your own mind.
Good Luck!

he's kinda right, if you don't know what to try out on, you don't listen to enough jazz.

and most high schools require reading chord changes, so get good at that. barre chords galore. and know lots of chords- major, minor, 7th, #9, #13, etc. lots of stuff.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
well the stuff we do in our jazz band isnt as easy as i thought it would have been when i started, but with a little practice, it comes to you. One thing that helps is to be able to sight read standard notation a small bit. If you can read it fluently, even better. Knowing what my guitar teacher calls "vanilla" chords helps a lot. (aka for a 7th chord, you only play the 1, 3, and b7, and for minor 7 you only play 1, b3, and b7, etc.). That way, if you get a little behind you will be able to catch yourself fairly easily.
Another thing to know is when you can simplify chords. If a chord jumps up on you that you dont know, such as a 9 or a 13 chord, you can simply just play the dominant chord. This helps a lot if you dont have much time to look at the music.
Also, know what everybody else says, with knowing your chords and your way around the fretboard.

EDIT: to actually ANSWER your question (got sidetracked), you might lay Take Five or Road Song.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by Jimmy94
blue bossa definitely. Check it out on my myspace in my sig.

you're pretty good, i liked all your music
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
^+1

I seriously thought it was really pink floyd playing for a bit...

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
In the Musician Talk forum there is Blue Bossa. Go check that out.

But make sure you can read standard notation because you need that for jazz band. Also you should have most jazz chords down.

Now for the person who brought up vanilla chords. Ive never heard that name before, however that isnt exactly true. If you are playing with a bass player and piano player in jazz, you can often just play the 3rd and 7th. The bass player will obviously have the root, and the pianist will have the whole chord. Thats why you can just play the 3rd and 7th. However, I would play the full chords if I were you.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Thanks guys, I definatley will learn blue bossa and boss the others around. Also metal is my genre of choice, the jazz band is just my love for music and I'd rather be playing in it then not playing in it.
[IMG]http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7971/ugsig7ej.gif[/IMG]
Quote by DunlopGuy
you're pretty good, i liked all your music

Quote by Jinskee
^+1

I seriously thought it was really pink floyd playing for a bit...

haha, thanks