I was wondering if anyone know of where I can get some decent recording software, like Cakewalk Sonar. Except I was wondering if there are any types of free programs I can try and get my feet wet with before actually getting something like Sonar.

Any suggestions?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Thanks for the suggestions.

Excuse me please since I'm new to all of this...

So, aside from the software, all I would need then is a cable to go from the recording output of my amp to the input of my computer?
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
Thanks for the suggestions.

Excuse me please since I'm new to all of this...

So, aside from the software, all I would need then is a cable to go from the recording output of my amp to the input of my computer?

If thats how you'd like to record, its not the best inexpensive way, but it works. Alternative ways include buying a nice instrument mic (Shure SM57 for example) and micing your amp and running that into your computer.

For programs, Audacity is an okay free one. I do recommend you do move onto better ones though, I personally use Adobe Audition. I've also used and really liked Cubase.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Quote by JesseIbanez
If thats how you'd like to record, its not the best inexpensive way, but it works. Alternative ways include buying a nice instrument mic (Shure SM57 for example) and micing your amp and running that into your computer.

For programs, Audacity is an okay free one. I do recommend you do move onto better ones though, I personally use Adobe Audition. I've also used and really liked Cubase.

The free ones I wanted to look at so I can basically "get my feet wet" without having to worry about wasting money on something that a) I end up getting frustrated with and don't want to bother with anymore, or b) find out I bought a program, then learn later that I was better off buying a different one.

I would have thought that a direct connection to the PC would have been a better way to record, as opposed to using a mic. Specific reasons why?
Quote by Hakael
The free ones I wanted to look at so I can basically "get my feet wet" without having to worry about wasting money on something that a) I end up getting frustrated with and don't want to bother with anymore, or b) find out I bought a program, then learn later that I was better off buying a different one.

I would have thought that a direct connection to the PC would have been a better way to record, as opposed to using a mic. Specific reasons why?

Well, im DEFINATELY no expert in recording, so if one of the smarter guys gets in here they'll give you some real good reasons. But I know from experience it usually sounds better, and also when you mic it you have your amp's speaker, and mic position which can completely change the sound. But a line out would work fine, I used to record like that.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
ive got sonar 4,5,6...theyre good even to get ur 'feet wet"...its pretty simple and easy to work with.

as far as free goes...you just gotta know were to look
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay