So I'm starting out (I've attempted to start for about 2 years now). I learned the first string and it was easy. Now that I'm on the second string and I have to use the two to make these retarded nursery rhymes in this guitar learning program, I find that I either a) get them right, but am way to slow or b) goof it up here and there. Sometimes I'll actually hit the wrong string or my dumb hands will accidently hit another string at the same time. Is this normal? Should I just move on from chapter to chapter after learning basics here and there, or should I master each lesson before moving on? What's normal?
yea, you can use either aproach... the stumble through it and mess it up will enable you to learn quickly, but sound bad. Or take it slow... it wont be impressive at first, but it will enable you to learn other songs and have them sound right.

Originally Posted by danzig-_-
just don't jack off too much or it'll be curved.

Originally Posted by Fishy27
lol, is there a way to un curve it?

Originally Posted by danzig-_-
I don't know....I guess use the other hand.
focus on it until it's clean

if you practise it sloppy, you'll learn it sloppy.
Ok, now I'm on chords. What method or whatever should I use to make sure that I don't hit the strings I'm not supposed to on upstrokes? It's hard to adjust.
Quote by eminentgonz
Ok, now I'm on chords. What method or whatever should I use to make sure that I don't hit the strings I'm not supposed to on upstrokes? It's hard to adjust.

Just take it really slowly. Chords are awkward at first. Give it a bit of time, and pay attention to your hands.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Just take it really slowly. Chords are awkward at first. Give it a bit of time, and pay attention to your hands.

I'm playing on electric, so I'm cool with the fretting. Getting used to the pick hitting the right strings is a bitch. Am I right in narrowing it down to Cmaj, Amaj, Gmaj, Emaj, and Dmaj right now?

TechTV was a television revolution. Leo Laporte got dicked by G4.
I never really learned "strings," I just started out on chords and learned songs.

I know how frustrating it can be to start out. Once you get those chords shapes memorized, and then the F chord shape memorized (or just Barre chords in general) shoot me a PM and I'll teach you a neat trick that some people use called the CAGED method that will allow you to play any of those chords up and down the entire guitar
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Quote by eminentgonz
I'm playing on electric, so I'm cool with the fretting. Getting used to the pick hitting the right strings is a bitch. Am I right in narrowing it down to Cmaj, Amaj, Gmaj, Emaj, and Dmaj right now?

TechTV was a television revolution. Leo Laporte got dicked by G4.

For the strumming hand, make sure you aren't paying too much attention, if you know what I mean. If you focus in on it too hard, you aren't going to play naturally, and that's how strumming should be. What a lot of people (including myself) do when strumming is to just do a very light, quick upstroke on the highest few strings. It eliminates some of the guesswork and in general sounds cleaner, at least to my ears. Those are also fine chords to start off with. Once you've got those down, move on to the basic minor chords, especially Em, Am, and Dm.

And I agree.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Master it, you have nothing to lose.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Anyone have 2 easy chords that keep the index finger in the same position that I can practice some transitioning with? I'm just getting the hang of switching chords and I'm not yet at the point where I can confidently move my hand around.
Weapons of choice-
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

Practice Am to C a lot.

Whatever you do, work your third and fourth fingers out often! My biggest mistake was neglecting them for several months, and now I have to do remedial exercises everyday to get them up to speed.