Well i was confused and had a problem so i have come to the UG forum once again.

i have the plain black Squier Strat and i wanted to put somethign like a big red star on the tail area behind the bridge. problem is i cant find sticker paper big enough. so the next thing that came to my mind was cutting out a stencil and spraypainting the shit on. basically my problem is i dont know how to get the design on there and have it look nice. Advice?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
well, you could get a sheet of waterslide paper and put it on that way.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Print out a picture of a star and cut out the shape with a exacto knife.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by GuitarNinja12
Print out a picture of a star and cut out the shape with a exacto knife.

but how do i get it on? its just a Squier but im not gluing it on. sorry for being so noobish.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
masking tape. there is a tutorial on this site, i am sure.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
First you have to take most or all of your hardware off..

Then Sand the are you want the star to go one with some fine sandpaper.. about 200..

Then mask off your star..

So cover pretty much the whole thing in masking tape so you don't overspray anything.

Then print out the star you want..

Cut that star out..

Trace around the star onto the masking tape..

Then cut the star out of the masking tape..

It's usually a good idea then to go around the edges where you've cut and make sure they are firmly stuck to the guitar or paint will run under them..

Then spray your star in whatever colour.. Keep it even and try to use just enough paint to
make the colour solid.

Then just add a few coats of clear where you sanded to make it shiny again.

That's the basic steps of how to do it. It's not hard as long as you take your time and make sure everything is right the first time.
Quote by HyperBoy2519
Well i was confused and had a problem so i have come to the UG forum once again.

i have the plain black Squier Strat and i wanted to put somethign like a big red star on the tail area behind the bridge. problem is i cant find sticker paper big enough. so the next thing that came to my mind was cutting out a stencil and spraypainting the **** on. basically my problem is i dont know how to get the design on there and have it look nice. Advice?

Dont even consider doing it the cheapo way, forget stickers. I just paid over $500 for my gibson sg standard custom airbrushed and its sensational.

here are links to my guitar
if you need information on the artist/ painter I would be very happy to oblige, hes a true professional. He has his own website and pretty much airbrushes anything. Spends 14 hours on cutting and buffing, but the end result is all his own original work.
See what you think

The guitar I sent was a standard black sg lefty.
I have many more pics of the guitar, I also sent him my gordon smith grad 60 to 'marblise", hes a truly awe inspiring artist and loves his work
Attachments:
reapSG4.jpg
reapSG1-1.jpg
reapSG2-1.jpg
reapSG3-1.jpg
reapSG7-1.jpg
Quote by djboogie
Dont even consider doing it the cheapo way, forget stickers. I just paid over $500 for my gibson sg standard custom airbrushed and its sensational.

here are links to my guitar
if you need information on the artist/ painter I would be very happy to oblige, hes a true professional. He has his own website and pretty much airbrushes anything. Spends 14 hours on cutting and buffing, but the end result is all his own original work.
See what you think

The guitar I sent was a standard black sg lefty.
I have many more pics of the guitar, I also sent him my gordon smith grad 60 to 'marblise", hes a truly awe inspiring artist and loves his work

by the way, I just asked for a reaper, but adam tash the artist and painter (you can find him online or I can give you his website address if allowed on the forum), he decided on the smoky look and its 100% original his own work.
Hes a true perfectionist. If I was to trust anyone with my guitars, it would DEFINATELY be him.
if you do need more info or pics please email me (richnlisa01@hotmail.com)
goto to a vinyl cutter guy. like a sign shop. they can cut the paint mask. I recommend taking some of the hardware off first. once you figure out what your guitar is painted with you can select a paint that will stick with little or no prep of the surface you are spraying. whoever said sand it and then tape it off is wrong. you dont sand the area your not painting. I wouldn't sand at all. its about selecting the right paint. if anything you want to sand with the highest grit possible after you apply the mask. just a quick scuff job. remember that it may take more than one coat of paint to put red on top of black. most professionals would paint the guitar white primer, red base, mask the star and pain the whole thing black. then remove the mask to show a red star.

OR you could just get a red star sticker made of vinyl and slap it on.

http://www.dr-sticker.com/ will cut you a paint mask or a vinyl sticker cheaper than anyone. I actually know him for a long time from another forum.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.