The boss guitar distortion pedal metal zone works great on bass, i played my mates.
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
why do u want bass metal distortion?

Get any pedal that has "bass" in its name.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
I really recommend the Digitech Bass Driver (100x better than the Boss, check the website for sound clips) if you're on a budget, or invest in a Fulltone Bass Drive if you have some cash. I have that pedal and it's the best I've heard (but it's not the most extreme distortion in the world)

For all the soundbytes of all the distortions, check here:
http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=21&storycode=16548

They also have soundbytes of octavers and envolope filters, too. Search for them.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 25, 2007,
I'm going to say the same thing I always say, BP-200, It's the only multi-effects pedal that doesn't sound like complete and uder crap, a a low price. Wait, there's another, can't think of the name. TO GOOGLE!
I've been using a Boss ODB-3 pedal for the last four years or so to give me a good metal sound. It gives you anywhere from a faint hum to a heavy crunch. It holds up to a surprising amount of abuse and isn't terribly expensive. I think when I bought it it only set me back about $80. It also handles detuning well. I keep my bass in BEAD and have gone as low as A flat and the distortion doesn't fade. It's definatly worth checking out.
On the road to the grave, it's best to avoid the passing lane.
I've never used it, but i've heard the Russian Big Muff is fantastic.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
i like my russian big muff, but sometime i want a lighter distortion without all the fuzz. like a proco turbo rat or something.
Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club. PM mountaindew88 to join.
Russian muff's are great, I'm happy with mine. The MT-2 sucks all you bass and you just get a trebley mush
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by MJthebass
I've been using a Boss ODB-3 pedal for the last four years or so to give me a good metal sound. It gives you anywhere from a faint hum to a heavy crunch. It holds up to a surprising amount of abuse and isn't terribly expensive. I think when I bought it it only set me back about $80. It also handles detuning well. I keep my bass in BEAD and have gone as low as A flat and the distortion doesn't fade. It's definatly worth checking out.
I have one too, i think you can hear some sound clips on the boss website.
Quote by Applehead
Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

How's that thing going for you?
Quote by Bumper

Quote by MJthebass

I use the same pedal, and it is pretty decent. Ive had mine for over a year, and its been carted about and dropped etc and still sounds fine. And yeah, they are fairly cheap. I think mine was £40, ish.

I dont agree with the "extreme" drop tuning thoyugh. Standard FTW!
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

Goats are like mushrooms.
When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
South Korea should have their Starcraft league members double as military strategists.
Is their anydiiference in sound from each kind of big muff? Only been able to try the russian one, which was very good.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by FaceTheBass
What would be a good to get if you wanted a variety of different effects?

A multi FX pedal?
Quote by Bumper

Quote by gm jack
Is their anydiiference in sound from each kind of big muff? Only been able to try the russian one, which was very good.

Well, I believe the American one has "True Bypass," whatever that means. That's the only real difference I can tell.

Quote by FaceTheBass
What would be a good to get if you wanted a variety of different effects?

Line6 make pretty good modelling things.
Quote by FaceTheBass
^^ Thanks for narrowing it down for me.

It depends how much money you have to spend. If you have quite a bit then the line 6 bass pod is meant to be very good, but if you don't have much, then something like a digitech bp80 would be ok.
Quote by Bumper

Quote by Charlatan_001
Well, I believe the American one has "True Bypass," whatever that means. That's the only real difference I can tell.

The Russians are true bypass too.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by Charlatan_001
Oh okay.. .so there's no difference between the American and Russian then? :p
The american has an adapter jack, but it's oddly sized.
I am probably wrong, but I thought the tone of the Russian Big Muff was different to that of the US one. Is it not so?
Quote by TGM
The Russians are true bypass too.

No, they are not. The American Muff is, but not the Russian. This means that the Russian Muff sucks tone even when it is off. You can add true bypass to Russian Muffs, it is a fairly simple process and there are a number of sites with info on this mod.

The only other real difference between the US and Russian Muff is that to most ears, the US version has a bit smoother fuzz to it, whereas the Russian version has a more aggressive sound. The Russian version also supposedly keeps more bass, so is often regarded as a better pedal for bass; I can't really comment on that bit, I do like the tone of the Russian Muff better but it's a very subjective thing.

Having true bypass isn't even that huge a deal unless you have multiple pedals (4+). Then you really want all of them to have true bypass so as not to turn your signal into poo.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
for multi effects, line 6 floor pod if you want amp/cab modelling, boss gt6b for pedal effects (the effects are a lot better than the pod, but the modelling isnt) those are both $400ish US

if you want multi distortions check out digitech distortion factory
otherwise, if you want multi effects to mess around with there are plenty, but 90% of them arent very good quality/sound wise except the more expensive ones (such as pod and gt)

russian big muff is a good fuzz pedal, and imo a good distortion for bass. most guitar distortions have was too much treble for the bass and end up not sounding that good. even tho its full of fuzz, its really hard to get a good sounding non fuzz distortion for bass in my experience
Can someone compare the Big Muff to a Fulltone BassDrive? I know that's a rather specific comparison, but every guitar distortion pedal I've used with bass totally killed the low-end. Cliff's solo on Kill 'Em All, I'm sorry, has the low end cut right out of it (or at least compared to how I like it). My Fulltone doesn't cut the low end out at all (while not blending it with the original signal like a Digitech or Boss). Does a Muff cut the low end, or was Cliff's solo just recorded and mixed poorly?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I think the low-end was cut out due to his wah, and the fact that Cliff probably had the tone knob on the Muff turned all the way up.

My Russian Muff (heheh) doesn't suck too much low end, unless I turn the knob up like I said earlier.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what kind of OD/distortion I can use to achieve the gnarly tone that Jeordie White has on NIN's "Only?" He uses the same effect on many of their live songs, and I think it sounds really sweet, so yeah.
Quote by Charlatan_001
I think the low-end was cut out due to his wah, and the fact that Cliff probably had the tone knob on the Muff turned all the way up.

My Russian Muff (heheh) doesn't suck too much low end, unless I turn the knob up like I said earlier.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what kind of OD/distortion I can use to achieve the gnarly tone that Jeordie White has on NIN's "Only?" He uses the same effect on many of their live songs, and I think it sounds really sweet, so yeah.

Check out a Gallien Krueger Diesel Dawg. Really a kickass distortion overall, you can get a pretty good sound for NIN for it (from my experience). I usually have the gain cranked though. It really keeps your low end in, too.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Check out a Gallien Krueger Diesel Dawg. Really a kickass distortion overall, you can get a pretty good sound for NIN for it (from my experience). I usually have the gain cranked though. It really keeps your low end in, too.

I've heard pretty good things about that pedal. How much did you pay for yours?
You can get the Ibanez PD7 for half the price as a Metal Muff and its just as good. I really recommend this to anyone who wants bass distortion.

btw The Shavo from SOAD used this same distortion pedal
Rhythm Harmony Melody
ive grown to enjoy boss pedals. all my pedals are boss. the odb-3 i've learned to use pretty well, and it was designed as a benchmark bass pedal. think of it as the jazz bass of the pedal world. just note, its an overdrive, not a distortion pedal. the two tones do differ. if overdrive is what u want this is the pedal. for distortion, probably the big muff will do u better.

as for a multi effects. i hav to suggest either the boss gt-6b or me-50b. ive tried the me-50 and the effects sound just like the individual pedals. if u plan to use 3+ effects than this pedal is more than worth it.

ive tried the bp-200. its... medicore to okay. nothing to brag about.
Last edited by SocKo? at Mar 1, 2007,
Quote by canadianpunk071
No, they are not. The American Muff is, but not the Russian. This means that the Russian Muff sucks tone even when it is off. You can add true bypass to Russian Muffs, it is a fairly simple process and there are a number of sites with info on this mod.

No, the Russian Big Muffs are true bypass, at least the ones made in 2006 onwards.

Mine has a 3PDT switch that obviously bypassed the circuit, open one up if you can. Also, it doesn't cut your signal when the battery is out.

But yeah, adding true bypass to an pedal without on is usually pretty simple.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by TGM
No, the Russian Big Muffs are true bypass, at least the ones made in 2006 onwards.

Mine has a 3PDT switch that obviously bypassed the circuit, open one up if you can. Also, it doesn't cut your signal when the battery is out.

But yeah, adding true bypass to an pedal without on is usually pretty simple.

Didn't know that one; just opened up my 2006 Russian Muff and yes, you are correct. I know they must have just started doing it recently though, my buddie's 2004 Muff did not have true bypass, so he modded it himself.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Quote by canadianpunk071
Didn't know that one; just opened up my 2006 Russian Muff and yes, you are correct. I know they must have just started doing it recently though, my buddie's 2004 Muff did not have true bypass, so he modded it himself.

I noticed that too, i was reading everywhere trying to get parts for my muff and opened it up the other day and realised that it is actually true bypass.
Quote by Bumper

Quote by indie-bassist
I noticed that too, i was reading everywhere trying to get parts for my muff and opened it up the other day and realised that it is actually true bypass.

Yet another reason my $50 Muff was one of the best purchases I've made.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

I use a Z Vex Woolly Mammoth bass fuzz. It's amazing - 'nuff said.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Felkara

I really want to give one of their fuzz factories a try. I have heard nothing but great stuff about zvex
Quote by Bumper

Quote by Felkara

Zvex makes cool pedals... I really want a Ringtone, Wooly Mammoth, and their Metal distortion.
haha