So, I learned a bit about scales yesterday. (different fingerings, how they work etc.) But what exactly do they do? Like, I know you can write solos off of them, and they help you play faster, but other than those reasons, is there any other purpose to them? Also, why is there so damn much of them? What are the ones I should learn first? Which ones should I skip? Thanks.
I don't feel like explaining the advantages of learning scales/fingerings/positions right now...they should be fairly self explanatory—but apparently not.

Learn them all. Every major scale in every position across the fretboard, every mode and a good sampling of the "exotic scales."

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Scales are the basis of riffs, solos, and songs. You hear a song, it's in a certain key, and it follows a certain scale. When you know your scales, you can right songs and solos and cool stuff like that, and make them sound good.
They'll help you improvise on the guitar more. Instead of just looking at tabs and whatnot you'll be able to solo, etc, and do it SMART.

I don't know...it'll just help you become a better guitarist. The first scale I learned was the typical blues scale.
Gear:
Washburn X10
Yamaha EG 112
Crate VTX30
Yamaha GA-10
Quote by cokeisbetter
Scales are the basis of riffs, solos, and songs. You hear a song, it's in a certain key, and it follows a certain scale. When you know your scales, you can right songs and solos and cool stuff like that, and make them sound good.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I am new and don't understand the whole "in the key of....thing". So say I have a song in the key of G, what does this mean?
^You play a scale on the root note of G.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
^You play a scale on the root note of G.

So wait, where is the root of g? I know the notes on the fretboard and all. But what string etc is the root on, balhbalhblah. So say a song is in the key of G, with chords, solos and all, what or where do I play? Is there a lesson or something on this website that goes in depth into this? I am having trouble understanding it all.
^+1

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Alright, I still don't get it. I still need further explanation, but forget it. I'll learn eventually. But I have a question, say i am playing an A blues scale on the 5th fingering. I would play from the eight fret to the fifth, then 8th fret to the 5th fret on the fifth string. How come thsi guy is telling me to play on the 5th string to the 8th fret and down? Don't you usually play scales from right to left going down on the fretboard, then left to right going up? This guy says otherwise.http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa082300b.htm
You can do whatever you want! Seriously, scales are just the basis of everything...you can make up your own scales if you wish... (friedman!!1!!).

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R