Hi. I am new to this forum. After long thinking I have decided to start playing the bass. I have around 550 euros, and I would like you to help me decide which bass to buy. I want to play metal mostly, and after searching I like the Ibanez SR300FM-TKS and FENDER MEX-P BK UPDATE. I haven't chosen an amp, and I would like some recommendations. I have seen BEHRINGER BXL3000A ULTRABASS and BXL1800 on thomann, and I would like to have your opinion about them. Because of my low budget, I may buy a crappy amp for beginning and update later. So, I would like some advice from you about which bass to choose (I haven't played any of those two yet), and an amp recommendation. Also I consider buying a bass with a good body and cheap pickups and update to better ones later. If something is really worthy, I can wait some time and gather more money... Thank you in advance.
Do you know how to play bass? or atleast guitar?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
dont buy the behringer amp ask any person on this forum and theyll all give the same answer. that it is unreliable and generally of poo quality
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
550 euros, thats not a crappy budget at all
#18 Ramones Worshipper RAMONES PM hardrock1315 to join.

reality is only an illusion created by lack of alcohol

emo is punk on estragen
i'm in the same boat, just started playing bass again since high school. I had about the same budget to get started (about US $750). I hit used to get more stuff. I opted for the SRX390 (basically the same). Very easy to play, great sound, especially for metal. It may not be as diverse as the fender. Picks are harse on the SRX. Also picked up an Epi Tbird (love that tone). I was able to get a Trace Boxer 65 amp to practice. Nothing to gig at this point, but I have a long way to go.

Just my 2 cents.
Quote by skater dan0
dont buy the behringer amp ask any person on this forum and theyll all give the same answer. that it is unreliable and generally of poo quality

indeed. Say no to behringer.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by Woogles
Do you know how to play bass? or atleast guitar?

I had a friend's acoustic guitar for a couple of months and some books, and I have studied a bit. Also, I played with a friend's bass for some time. I also liked ESP LTD F-254FM STBK, IBANEZ EDB400-TKF and IBANEZ ATK300-BK.
And since you say that behringer amps aren't good, which ones would you recommend?
Definitely don't buy behringer, look at ashdown or gallien krueger or hartke. And bass-wise think the mexican fender is a good bass because they are great as a base for modifications
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I was looking for a beginners amp not too long ago, and several people recommended the Fender Rumble range of amps. Whatever one you choose all depends on how much you want to spend
Quote by indie-bassist
Definitely don't buy behringer, look at ashdown or gallien krueger or hartke. And bass-wise think the mexican fender is a good bass because they are great as a base for modifications

I've heard that they are good basses from many friends of mine, but they have 20 frets. Is this that important?
Quote by pagiatis
I've heard that they are good basses from many friends of mine, but they have 20 frets. Is this that important?

No doesn't really matter unless you are a virtuoso you won't really need the 2 octaves, occasionally it helps but I have a fender and manage just fine. If you find you need 24 frets, when you mod it you could get a new neck of warmoth or something, or buy the standard jazz 24
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!