I asked this in the electric guitar forum, but this in retrospect, seemed more appropriate:
Is brazilian rosewood worth the extra money? Im considering buying a warmoth neck and im torn about whether i should spend the extra.
Also, does anyone know whether a change of 7.25 and 9.5 fretboard radius would be drastic (i want a vintage feel)
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
About the rosewood, for fretboards, spending extra cash on exotic wood doesn't have much effect on the sound at all. Yes, theres a difference between some types of fretboards, but the more exotic ones don't really add anything that normal rosewood doesn't already have. Maybe go for it if you like how it looks... I dunno though, I'd be sure about it before I spent that extra cash.
how much of a money difference?

7.25 is the radius on my vintage 57 strat

if its not a rediculous diff its totally worth it. ive played brazillian rosewood it is different
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
The *price* difference between the 7.25 (7 1/4) and 9.5 (9 1/2) is nothing, its free. Ive heard bending with vintage necks is near impossible though, can anyone refute/support this?

EDIT: when i say difference, im referring to the price
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Last edited by HeartInACage at Feb 25, 2007,
Quote by The_Clap
how much of a money difference?

7.25 is the radius on my vintage 57 strat

if its not a rediculous diff its totally worth it. ive played brazillian rosewood it is different

Oh, it hasn't been that way for me, at least the difference between rosewood and then brazillian rosewood. Most of the reason for a price difference is that the rosewood trees are getting rarer and rarer... However, I guess if you want to spend the extra 50 dollars on it that's ok. It's not going to make that big of a difference in the end though, especially if you play with distortion most of the time...
Any word on the radius difference?
Quote by HeartInACage
Any word on the radius difference?

I play on a standard strat (9.5) and a classical (0) and dont find much difference more than the fact that barre chording is easier on the strat don't think that 7.25 will be THAT different...

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
from what ive read, it 'frets out' when bending unless you play with incredibly high action
Flatter fretboard radii work better for bending, but curver radii are more friendly for chords, Barre chords, etc.

Brazilian rosewood hasn't been exported as solid lumber in a couple of decades now. Veneer only. If Warmoth has what is truly Brazilian Rosewood to make fretboards from, their supplier obtained it from Brazil a very long time ago. It is indeed possible. I have quite a bit of Brazilian Rosewood veneer that I purchased almost 20 years ago. It truly is a cut above the East Indian or Indonesian Rosewood. Tone-wise, though, I don't know, but from a beauty standpoint, there is no comparison. And oh, the aroma when tooling or sanding it!!
would a 7.5 be usable for modern guitar playing? (a la john frusciante, who i know uses vintage guitars, but I do not know if they are stock/customized)