I just got a Warwick Corvette Proline and strung it BEAD. The gauges are .125, .110, .090, .070. I was going to use a .145 for the B, but thought that might be too extreme. Anyway, the strings don't quite sit in the nut like the EADG strings did; there's a bit of a gap between the nut and the back of the string. I know I can lower the nut itself to make the action a bit better, but is there anything I can do to actually lower the strings? If not, is there any harm in having the strings just sit like that?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
thats a lot of work
5 string basses ftw
Quote by Jaffaps2
It's meant to reflect Clapton's career, starts off good but then turns into a piece of shit.

The Lord has done mighty things with his right hand
Psalms chapter 118, verse 12
Yeah, I'm primarily a 5-string player, but this one was a steal and I want to string it BEAD (I hardly use the G string, and NEVER use the notes on the G that I can't use on the D).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
You file down the nut so that the string fits in nice.

about 1/3 to 1/2 of the string should be covered by the nut where the two meet.
Quote by mangablade
You file down the nut so that the string fits in nice.

about 1/3 to 1/2 of the string should be covered by the nut where the two meet.

+1

And, to be honest, so long as the strings aren't popping out of the nut slots, you can leave it be. Especially since you can, as you observed, lower the nut itself to keep the action where you want it.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Warwick Just-a-nuts are notoriously made of brass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Warwick Just-a-nuts are notoriously made of brass.

Wrong, they -were- notoriously made out of brass, until 1999-2000. Since then they are a carbon/teflon mix construction. If you're lucky enough to have a brass nut Warwick, all you can do is let it be, unless you want to do some nasty metal filing.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

I have a brass nut Warwick

I guess I'll leave it if there's no harm. It's stable and all, but the B rides a bit high. I'll do the adjusting once I get a set of proper Allen wrenches. I was just wondering if anyone knew a way to widen the nut (if there was a way).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 25, 2007,
You dirty, dirty bastard.

Yeah, just leave it be if the strings don't pop out of the groove. It won't hurt anything.

PS. Pics!
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Quote by mangablade
Im PRETTY sure it DOES harm atleast a bit.

Nope, not a whit, especially since it's brass. Worst thing that can happen is that the strings could start filing the sides of the grooves, but...then the problem is solved.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

I meant for the strings. i wouldnt give a hoot about the nut , as im 80% sure that the nut, even the brass one, is cheaper than the strings

If the strings dont sit nicely and smoothly and well lubricated (graphite in the slots) in the nut and bridge, they could wear down a lot quicker, wether it be from normal to aggresive playing, or even just tuning up and down.