I've been playing for almost a year now, just playing tabs. I haven't had any classes nor a teacher. (too expensive)

What should I learn first, scales or theory? And how should I go at learning this? Also, is it better to just learn songs or do finger excersizes and what not?

to give you an indication, I can play everything of Metallica's fade to black except the last solo, as well as Angels don't kill by Children of bodom and The Phantom of the opera by Nightwish. Pretty diverse taste in music eh? All of these songs are considered pretty beginner though.

Thanks in advance!
WTLTL 2011
to understand scales better you need a lite theory first...
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by Mark G
I
to give you an indication, I can play everything of Metallica's fade to black except the last solo, as well as Angels don't kill by Children of bodom and The Phantom of the opera by Nightwish. Pretty diverse taste in music eh?

diverse? ummm
Quote by Mark G
I've been playing for almost a year now, just playing tabs. I haven't had any classes nor a teacher. (too expensive)

What should I learn first, scales or theory? And how should I go at learning this? Also, is it better to just learn songs or do finger excersizes and what not?

to give you an indication, I can play everything of Metallica's fade to black except the last solo, as well as Angels don't kill by Children of bodom and The Phantom of the opera by Nightwish. Pretty diverse taste in music eh? All of these songs are considered pretty beginner though.

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't say as diverse as Little Wing and Redneck...
Anyways, you might want to consider cyberfret.com/ . Great website IMO.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
listen to a lot of music, learn licks from your favorites, study there styles, and then make your own style.

you can take lessons and learn the scales and the chords etc just as i have. but what i have realized in the end, is that it all comes down to listening to other people and copying them.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Learn whatever keeps you interested in progressing. If you desire to learn entire songs by tabs and move on song to song that's fine.

Eventually, your ears will develop well enough to indicate which notes sound correct no matter where you are on the neck.

Lessons are ok if you have a great teacher. There are too many bad instructors out there.
Quote by Siciliano
Learn whatever keeps you interested in progressing. If you desire to learn entire songs by tabs and move on song to song that's fine.

Eventually, your ears will develop well enough to indicate which notes sound correct no matter where you are on the neck.

Lessons are ok if you have a great teacher. There are too many bad instructors out there.

Agreed, lots of bad teachers out there. I have never personally taken lessons, but there is this guy that goes to my school. He has been playing about 3 years and is already instructing a kid. Everyone I know said he sucks. So I have no idea how that kid will ever get decent with a crappy instructor.