So, my band has been getting a good amount of gigs lately. Some of the places we play don't mic amps though, so my behringer gmx212 is usually almost maxed out. So anyway....i use the amps distortion, and a a lot of it!!! Unfortunately although the distortion sounds amazing...i get feedback virtually right after i let go of a note....and theres so much gain that even with my guitar volume off i get this ear pearcing feedback.
So
,I have a couple of questions...1: is there a difference between a noise gate and a noise suppressor?

and

2: will they work if I'm not using any pedals?

In all the reviews ive read about gate pedals, everyone used dist pedals, but i use the distortion built into my amp.....And i wont be putting it through an effects loop either.

thanks a lot!

also, if you know of any good ones suggest them please!
Im not sure of the difference (dont think there is any) but they will both work without any other pedals.

Check out the Boss NS-2 and the ISP Decimator.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
You've got to put the noise gate in your effects loop or it won't get rid of the noise. If you put it before your amp and after your guitar, it will only receive the clean signals from your guitar, not your amps distortion.
Quote by i_baked_cookies
You've got to put the noise gate in your effects loop or it won't get rid of the noise. If you put it before your amp and after your guitar, it will only receive the clean signals from your guitar, not your amps distortion.

ok i was thinking that might be the case. im not sure if i have an fx loop...ive never have to use it before. I'll look on the back of my amp and see though.