Okay, I recently joined in with these torrents things. It was going fine, I was using Bitcomet and managed to download several albums without problem. However, it then started to suck, my download speed was 0.1Kb/s and I wasn't getting anything downloaded at all. Someone said the reason was because Bitcomet sucks, and so I got Azureus, which I'd read was good. Still no luck, I'd try to download something and it would tell me it was downloading, but three hours in and 1% was finished. So I gave up, uninstalled and now I have uTorrent. Problem is, same thing is happening. It says I'm connected and downloading, but no progress is happening.

The thing that's different with uTorrent is that is asked for ports. I've seen them before, but I've really no idea what they do or how to work them. I'm guessing they're what's causing my torrents to not work right, so how do I fix it? Any help would be appreciated.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I believe that the more you are uploading, the faster your download speed is.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Okay, I recently joined in with these torrents things. It was going fine, I was using Bitcomet and managed to download several albums without problem. However, it then started to suck, my download speed was 0.1Kb/s and I wasn't getting anything downloaded at all. Someone said the reason was because Bitcomet sucks, and so I got Azureus, which I'd read was good. Still no luck, I'd try to download something and it would tell me it was downloading, but three hours in and 1% was finished. So I gave up, uninstalled and now I have uTorrent. Problem is, same thing is happening. It says I'm connected and downloading, but no progress is happening.

The thing that's different with uTorrent is that is asked for ports. I've seen them before, but I've really no idea what they do or how to work them. I'm guessing they're what's causing my torrents to not work right, so how do I fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

And i thought i tried to help you before. Ok first thing, utorrent is a great client, stick with it. If it has a preferences section, go into it, and change the port to something above 20,000. just pick a random number, most of them in that range aren't used by any big streams. Then, pick your max uploaders and downloaders. while you're downloading, keep the number of people uploading from you low, so that your bandwidth isn't used up by them and so taht you can focus on your download more. Also, another problem may be that there is only one seeder or peer, and they have a very slow connection, in this case, find a differnt torrent for the same file. any more questions?
A Seven Nation army couldn't hold me back.
If you're trying to d/l the same program, album, etc. It doesn't matter what site your using because the torrents are spread amongst the internet. Check and see if the creator of what your d/l'ing is the same person.

Also, no seeders = slow or no d/l speed.
Cheers dude.

I picked a random port using the button, something like 63000. I made sure tat I picked one with the most seeders, seven of them but I think I'm only connected to two. As far as I'm aware, I'm not uploading anything. It's still at 0.1Kb/s though =/

I'm so confused ='(

-Matthew Arnold

Get Bitlord, and make sure your options are set right so you don't have a high uploading limit, because that sucks away a lot of power as well if you do...

Make sure that whenever you choose a download, it has plenty of seeds, more chances of it finishing quickly
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

I'm trying, and this really isn't working.

It refuses to connect to the seeders, and tells me it's downloading, but moves at a rate so it'll be finished in three weeks. I think it may be broken =/

-Matthew Arnold

Utorrent is the best client, and if she's having these problems with all the clints then it obviously isnt that, so stop recommending other clients.

Is that a tick or an exclamation mark?
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
It's an exclamation mark.

-Matthew Arnold

Right thats your problem, it means your ports aren't open/being forwarded properly, its most likely that you dont have a static IP, if you go to Options >speed guide > test if port is properly forwarded it will do a quick test and if your not it should give you a link to a site that has nearly every routers details to help you configure.

Now this is what scared me away from torrents for a while, but if you spend a few minutes setting it up it shoudl work fine.

Another thing, the website will tell you you have to setup a static IP, you dont, just open command prompt and type "ipconfig" and that will give you your current IP address, just use that.

Anymore questions just ask, my limited knowledge might be able to help
Okay, thanks. I'll try and fix it now

I saw the page and it had a load of port numbers on it. Do I use what my internet-thing uses? All I know is it's a Belkin Wireless =/

EDIT:
Okay, I checked if it worked and I got this:

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.
A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 63335 on <my IP>...

OK! Port 63335 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

So I'm guessing that's what I want? My Kb/s has gotten a little faster, around 4 now, but still kinda slow compared to how it used to work with Bitcomet =/

-Matthew Arnold

Last edited by Dinkydaisy at Feb 25, 2007,
I use the same router, so I might be able to help you out.

Type 192.168.2.1 into your internet browser and tell me if it takes you to your router settings?

EDIT: Well thats saying its open so I dunno, has the exclamation mark turned green? If it doesn't speed up in a few minutes then Im not really sure.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Okay, thanks. I'll try and fix it now

I saw the pagr and it had a load of port numbers on it. Do I use what my internet-thing uses? All I know is it's a Belkin Wireless =/

We seem to be having the same problem, although my speeds aren't as slow as yours.

I also have the exclamation mark, but I have no clue what router I'm using...
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by fronkpies
I use the same router, so I might be able to help you out.

Type 192.168.2.1 into your internet browser and tell me if it takes you to your router settings?

EDIT: Well thats saying its open so I dunno, has the exclamation mark turned green? If it doesn't speed up in a few minutes then Im not really sure.

Yeah, it's green now and gone up to about 6Kb/s.

These torrents are all just so confusing

I'll leave it on overnight and see f anything happens.

Thanks for the help, I'll give you e-sex laters

Along with e-herpes

-Matthew Arnold

Could be windows firewall maybe?

And I will take you up on the e-sex >.>
Well, since I'm completely retarded, does anyone know how I can find out what router I'm using so I can choose something from that list?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I've figured it out.
Quote by guitar_god22

Quote by RyanInChains9
Last edited by Zeppelin256 at Feb 25, 2007,
Your router is a physical thing, so you should be able to look if there are any labels on it or anything.
Are there any torrents for Macs?

Co-Founder of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM me or TechnicolorBoy to join.

My music --> Check it out!
Quote by fronkpies
Your router is a physical thing, so you should be able to look if there are any labels on it or anything.

Yeah, I got my router's IP and put it in my address bar and got the right info to choose from that list.

But that seems to be way too complicated for me and I don't want to screw anything up. I guess I just let these things download overnight...
Quote by guitar_god22

Quote by RyanInChains9
Has anyone bothered to think that maybe there aren't enough seeders for that torrent, or maybe the demand for that torrent is too high, before rushing to suggest changing clients, firewall settings, etc?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
What kind of router is it just out of interest?

And there are mac torrents, tomatotorrent and bitcomet (?) I think.

EDIT:
Quote by Mad Marius
Has anyone bothered to think that maybe there aren't enough seeders for that torrent, or maybe the demand for that torrent is too high, before rushing to suggest changing clients, firewall settings, etc?

Yes, thats why I asked to check if her ports were forwarded. Plus 7 seeds and 0.1kb, it wouldnt be that slow for many other reasons.
hey, i cant connect to my router. i have a linksys
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
Quote by maybe_I_am
Are there any torrents for Macs?

Xtorrent

it kicks ass

Acquisition is pretty good too.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."