Hey UG peeps

I've got a bit of a decision to make that hopefully some people on here can help me with.

I'm looking at upgrading my Spider II (yeah yeah...) amp to something better.

I don't actually have a big problem with the Spider II as a practice amp (I run it on clean with the preset Chorus removed with the Metal Muff and other pedals to give it a much nicer tone to the "out of the box") but I would like to get something a tad more powerful and preferably get in on some nice warm tube action.

I don't perform yet so Dual Rectifiers and the like are out (before anyone even attempts to suggest it) - I want a good sound, enough to play with drums but not enough to piss the neighbours off (anymore than the drums piss 'em off already).

I play mostly rock/melodic metal - think Tool, AIC, Metallica, Mastodon, Opeth, Arch Enemy - I like high gain/distorted sounds with a bottom end warmth, not a super cold tone.

As much as I want a tube amp, all I can really find in my price/wattage range is either a Orange Tiny Terror with a 1x12 Cab; Epiphone Valve Junior; or the Peavey ValveKing 112 (or maybe Royal 8). I'm not too sure how any of those 3 amps really sound with a more metal sound, though I've heard some nice rock tones out of them.

I want tube but with the having to crank them to get that real powerful sound, I admit to being a bit worried about the neighbours lol. Maybe a TubeScreamer to go with the above? I'm not really concerned with on-board effects either.

If it helps I'm currently using an Epi LP Custom Silverburst.

Any input really appreciated!
you can get a tube amp and also use a attenuator to lower the volume
My stuff:
ESP LTD KH 202 w/ emg 81's
PEAVEY 5150 II Head
4x12 MESA BOOGIE RECTIFIER CAB

A recent study shows that 92% of all teens have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
Price range?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I would go with the Ibanez TubeScreamer (maybe the half stack), like you said.

I personally am a big fan of Fender amps, but since you like metal, I don't know if the distortion would please you. Maybe a Marshall? If you go with a Marshall, just don't go with any of the MG line, because they're kinda poorly made.
Quote by caucasian_ninja

I personally am a big fan of Fender amps, but since you like metal, I don't know if the distortion would please you. Maybe a Marshall? If you go with a Marshall, just don't go with any of the MG line, because they're kinda poorly made.

The Tubescreamer is a pedal.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^I was thinking the same thing!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by caucasian_ninja

Yeah the TubeScreamer's a pedal lol

As far as price range..I'm willing to pay probably around $1800 Aussie dollars (whatever that is in USD at the moment I'm not sure), which is close to what the Tiny Terror + Orange Cab would be.

Doing a bit more looking online the DSL401 40W Combo..that's looking kind of appealing right now.
Last edited by attak_reload at Feb 25, 2007,
Hahaha, oh, my bad!

Sorry, I was definetely thinking of the Ibanez Toneblaster, which is definetely NOT a pedal, haha. Sorry guys, honest mistake...
ENGL Screamer
Peavey XXX
Peavey 6505
Laney gh50
Laney Vh100r
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Man the Tiny Terror is an awesome amp. And it won't cost you anything even CLOSE to $1800.

You live in Sydney so I reccomend going to Gallin's guitars and test playing one and they will give you LOTS of discount off the head and cab you choose (I'd get the 2x12). The head is $999 RRP I think you'd get it for about $800 I'm not sure about the cab prices but I know they'll do the 4x12 with V30s for 1350 so the 2x12 should be lots cheaper than that.

If you go there, talk to John. He's the manager and he'll give you the most discount and he's a super cool dude.

That's my advice. I'd go for the Orange, with an OD pedal it would definitely do those kind of metal tones and they have some of the best cleans I've heard.

EDIT: Actually if you do go there, tell them I sent you? Lol mention the Thunderverb I have on layby. I'd apreciate that a LOT.
Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Mar 8, 2007,
If you can afford the Tiny Terror (and a cab, you'll need one) then I'd go with the Peavey Windsor instead for your use. More powerful, voiced similar to a JCM 800, put a tubescreamer in front and have metal all day long. Even cheaper than the Orange.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.