Fender Strat
21 43%
Jackson DK2M
13 27%
Other
15 31%
Voters: 49.
Page 1 of 2
Ok, so recently I became extremely fed up with my Ibanez S2170fb.
Its a beautiful guitar, but due to soo many reasons, its really pissing me off, and its not just about tuning the FR, which isn't that bad.

So I'm gonna trade it in at a GC, and hopefully get around $300-500.

So I was thinking about either getting a Fender Standard Strat and loading it up with new pickups.

Or

putting in a bit of cash and buying a Jackson DK2M.

either way I'm getting a maple neck guitar, just want some input.

I play a lot of genres of music, from Jazz, to Progressive and Thrash Metal.
I already have a Jackson SLSMG, and I dig the neck, and sound.
But I'm really stuck at a crossroads at whether I want another FR Guitar, or to take the huge departure into the Strat sound, which lately I've been digging.

Oh yah, amp wise, I've got an epiphone valve amp (discontinued model, the amp itself says Galaxie, but I've never seen another one like it, its a one channel amp, with eq's, and no gain/drive, but cranked it gets a nice little bit of drive.) and I plan to add an Xotic AC boost, to get a nice overdriven lead sound out of it.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by i(ncubus)play
Don't trade to GC they ripperoffers

Yah, I know that, but I frankly just want to get rid of the guitar,
and I can't use ebay as I'm only 14, and my parents hate most things internet related.

So I'd have to sell it private party, or trade it in somewhere, and I can't really expect a good deal at all.

+

I'm going to be getting either a Mesa Mark IV or Stillelto in a few months or so, so that will soon become my main amp.
14...S Prestige...urge to kill rising...
It's true, this stuff I make up.
~Dom~
I say go Fender.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
you are 14, have a Ibanez s prestige and get a mesa boogie?
you must be loaded...

anyway, don't trade it in a GC even though it seems, money doesn't play a big role...

look into LTD/ESP (depends on how much money you have) and go for a model with Duncans...
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
Quote by Dom5412

HAH!

me too
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
i reckon the dk2 would be a good choice if you wanna stay with a similar feel to your soloist but the slsmg is mahogany and the dk2 is alder so theyre gonna sound quite different. dk2 should be more crisp and bright sounding. a strat would also be a good choice, ya pretty much cant go wrong it just depends on what sound youre going for
Quote by Diamond Dave
i reckon the dk2 would be a good choice if you wanna stay with a similar feel to your soloist but the slsmg is mahogany and the dk2 is alder so theyre gonna sound quite different. dk2 should be more crisp and bright sounding. a strat would also be a good choice, ya pretty much cant go wrong it just depends on what sound youre going for

yah, I know. I really want an alder guitar, as all my guitars at the moment are Mahogany.

If it makes you guys feel better I've been playing for five years now, so I guess I have dedication.

: |

Anyone know how much I can expect if I sell it private party?
I was reading in a book at Barnes and Nobles that a 2006 Ibanez S2170FB in Good condition (which is like 8/10. 9 being Mint, and 10 being new) is like $600
Personally, I'd try my best to get it on Ebay, because you could get at LEAST 800 for it there, if it's in good condition. I know you said your parents consider the Internet = Satan or whatever, but you really should try to get it up there.

Also, I'd get the strat. Since you already have a guitar with humbuckers, the single coils will mix it up quite a bit.

Note: Everyone here is dedicated, some of them are just more privelaged.
~Dom~
Heh, thats funny. I just bought a Jackson DK2m, because I couldnt afford a Ibanez S prestige.
NO! dont take the guitar to guitar center. Ill gladly buy it off of you. PLease PLease PLease i want one of those things so bad. Im willing to pay 350 for it straight up. Please Pm me or Ill pm you. How good shape is the guitar in, what year, model etc. PLease man look to hear from you. ALso, is it possible you could get some pics of it uploaded? thanx.
you already have a jackson with an fr. get a fender strat.

sell your ibanez on craigslist. GC is gonna rip you off.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by mw7
you already have a jackson with an fr. get a fender strat.

sell your ibanez on craigslist. GC is gonna rip you off.

The Soloist I have is String-Thru.
Quote by Striketalonx
The Soloist I have is String-Thru.

Oops my mistake. The DK2M has a licensed floyd so you might have some problems with it later on with the knife edges and what not. I'd say go with a non locking trem guitar. Floyd's are a pain in the ass to switch tunings and string anyway.

Although if you really want a floyd, to make cool sounds and mess around with, by all means get the jackson..
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
But.. but... you...started the S players club.........
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by bean-o
But.. but... you...started the S players club.........

Lol,
I know,

chances are, down the road I'm gonna buy the cheapest S I can find, what is it, the S320 now?

And have my local luthier trick it out with a bunch of crazy colored Dimarzio's and paint it with a nice bright color..

but I am just at a crossroads right now.
Quote by mw7
The DK2M has a licensed floyd so you might have some problems with it later on with the knife edges and what not.

the licensed floyds in the jacksons these days hold up really well, ive got that trem and im 14 months down the track with no problems

Quote by mw7
I'd say go with a non locking trem guitar. Floyd's are a pain in the ass to switch tunings and string anyway.

yeah switching strings is a bit of pain in the ass but its not that bad really, easily worth the trade off with all the new sounds you'll be able to make and switching tunings would also be a pain in the ass, but im sure youd be able to use your other non-floyd guitars for that
its not changing the strings thats the hard part, its changing the damn tuning!
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
14,and you have an S prestige and you're still not satisfied?What the hell is happening to the world?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Get a Fender
Anyway, I just wonder why you don't like S Prestige because is a professional guitar not one of these cheap copy ones.
The Cats are out in town.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Last edited by Katfury at Feb 26, 2007,
whats 'pissing you off' about the S presteige?
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by Dom5412

I second that.
Quote by Katfury
Get a Fender
Anyway, I just wonder why you don't like S Prestige because is a professional guitar not one of these cheap copy ones.

I thought he uses an old S470 (with Lo-TRS trem) and an Ibanez S540? Which as an old MIJ guitar...
Quote by Mwoit
I thought he uses an old S470 (with Lo-TRS trem) and an Ibanez S540? Which as an old MIJ guitar...

Do you mean Hermen Li? I think he use an old S470 but I didn't said anything like that. That was ovvyiljs.
However S prestige is Japanese made Ibanez a bit like American made Strat if you don't understand what I mean. So quality wise always at it's best.
Unlike Mexican Fenders or Korean Ibanez where quality are not always as good as American Fenders or Japanese Ibanez. So I just don't understanding why he was disappointed on that. Unless he doesn't like Ibanez.
The Cats are out in town.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Quote by Striketalonx
Yah, I know that, but I frankly just want to get rid of the guitar,
and I can't use ebay as I'm only 14, and my parents hate most things internet related.

So I'd have to sell it private party, or trade it in somewhere, and I can't really expect a good deal at all.

+

I'm going to be getting either a Mesa Mark IV or Stillelto in a few months or so, so that will soon become my main amp.

Get a Yngwie strat. Thats what I want to trade my RG1570 for.
I'm back, you douchebags.
keep the S and standard tuning never seemed to bother Rhoads Yngwie SRV or Jimi put some good pickups in that thing and wire it so you can turn on only the single coil at the neck and you get all the best strat tones a strat has to offer, a bridge single coil never got it for me with distortion
Quote by bodomfan666
whats 'pissing you off' about the S presteige?

Maybe the body is giving him paper cuts. Them guitars are mega thin.
Might be worth having a look at this if you can find one, I just picked one up myself for about $500 while in the states and it's beautiful

Fender Showmaster QMT

HH seymour duncan pickup configuration with coil tapping
Classic trem so no floyd tuning problems
I believe its a set neck too. Seriously, the specs for $500 are incredible.
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
Ok, the guitar is super high maintence.
It basically just needs a good set-up and it'll be back in good working order.. as of now the buzz is unbearable and the intonation is totally ****ed up.
Then I highly suggest you give it to me.

I'll gladly take it off your hands. For free too.

Isn't that generous of me? <_<
~Dom~
I'm probably going to, just to see if it resparks its former glory in my heart.
Page 1 of 2