what is a good bass guitar, head, and cab for gigging about $1200 for the head, $1000 for the cab and $1200 for the guitar (canadian) he plays all types of music
I think you're friend should take advantage of the great price Canadians get on Yorkville and Traynor equipment (owned by Long and McQuade).

If that's not to your liking, you can get almost any solid-state setup with that amount of money. I heard Fender's 800PRO and 1200PRO heads rival any Ampeg. For $1000 cab, I'd really suggest an 810 as opposed to 2 cabs. There are millions of options.

Basically, here are the companies your pal SHOULDN'T bother with (because their too expensive):

Epiphani
Eden
Tubed Ampegs
Mesa

For $1200, you can get some American Fenders and perhaps a Warwick Corvette. You can also pretty much get any Ibanez, too. In my opinion, if you can get an American (or West German, in Warwick's case) made bass, do so. I think any old American bass is better than a top of the line Asian bass.

If you are in the used market, perhaps he can get a better Warwick or maybe an American Deluxe Fender for that price. Then he can be cool like me
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yorkvilles and Traynors don't suck, then just sound very funny when the EQ is flat. If you change the EQ (the manual comes with suggested settings), those brands can sound like anything else.

However, those brands do not have their own distinct tone (unless you count their funny flat EQ sound) like Eden or Ampeg does.

And by the way, those links don't work. They send you to the site's home page.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
dude, for that cash you can get almost any solid state head and single cab your friend wants (other than the ones I listed he can't afford), tell him to do some reading up to pick the setup that's right for him.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
is this any good?

Hartke 810 XL 8 x 10" Bass Guitar Speaker Cabinet - 810XL

and

Peavey Tour 700 - 700-watt Bass Amplifier Head - TOUR700
That sounds like a good setup, just make sure that the cab has enough RMS power to support the head, and check the ohms too.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
does it matter if you have 2 4x10s insted of one 8x10 (for tranporting it )
No, not really. A 410 should be 8Ohms while an 810 is usually 4Ohms. Two 410s are 4Ohms, so it's basically the exact same thing split in two. Keep in mind that 2 410s usually cost more than an 810.
Quote by Cody_Grey102