So today i decided to practice strict classical guitar position, because this position relieves the most tension from the body when playing the guitar. But one of the biggest problem that i have with this position is that when it is set on my left leg and is laying on my right leg the guitar still slips, in less i use my strumming forearm to hold it toward my body....i thought in this position the guitar would be position and held against the body which would provide good mobility for both picking and fretting hands.

Another huge problem for me going into classical guitar position is it seriously hurts my lower back when i am in this position... Is this pain suppose to be there or have i not developed the sufficient amount of lower back muscle and i should just continue in this position untill i develop those muscle?

Any tips, thoughts, suggestions is appreciated. Thanks
The internet is not very good for this; find someone who knows what they;re doing and show them how you're doing it.

Are you trying to do it with an electric? because electrics and classical position shouldn't mix imo
Yea from my knowledge i believe i am doing everything correct regarding this position i just dont get why my back hurts so much, maybe for any of you guys out there if you might of experienced this before could give me some tips lol maybe i should do some crunches :p. I do have a better range when playing in classical position rather then casual position.
well as with any instrument you should be sitting straight up; imagine a thread is puling the top of your head etc

I guess if you constantly slouch you might not be used to sitting properly
I have been playing for four months now. Up until recently, I was sitting the guitar body on my right leg. When I switched to the "classical" position, my fretting instantly became easier, cleaner, and faster.

I know I tried the "classical" position when I first started back in October but at the time, it was just too uncomfortable so I did not spend much time on it. Now that my speed and accuracy are finally coming on, it just feels better to play with the guitar body over some and with the neck raised. I also like the fact that this position puts the guitar in a more natural state if/when I start using a strap.

Chris
Quote by RCShadow
I have been playing for four months now. Up until recently, I was sitting the guitar body on my right leg. When I switched to the "classical" position, my fretting instantly became easier, cleaner, and faster.

I know I tried the "classical" position when I first started back in October but at the time, it was just too uncomfortable so I did not spend much time on it. Now that my speed and accuracy are finally coming on, it just feels better to play with the guitar body over some and with the neck raised. I also like the fact that this position puts the guitar in a more natural state if/when I start using a strap.

Chris

Hey thats how long i've also been playing and from all that you've said that is what i have felt when playing in this position.... i just cant go back to casual with all the range and mobility it classical position gives my fretting fingers.
You've taught an old dog a new trick! I've been playing acoustic guitar on a classical for years and I never tried putting it on my left knee, neck up. I just gave it a shot and wow, I can play much better, especially Barre chords. A world of difference! Thanks for the clue.
PlainTom