both are good depending on the pickups you use. bright pickups like EMG 81/85s are more balanced in mahogany since the wood is pretty bassy while the pickups are trebly. Alder is brighter than mahogany so bright pickups in a bright wood might be too much. However, pickups like BKP Warpig, which is bassy as hell, work great in alder.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
i would have to say alder. it all depends on how you want it to sound. i found the notes ring out a lot more with alder or at least the way i want them to.
thanx for the info
keep it comming, is one more sturdy or more expensive then the others
no vs. threads

*reported*

just kidding...

on topic: it would depend on what kind of metal, mahogany has a darker sound, and alder is brighter
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
I have a mahogany bodied neck-through Ibanez... wow. I always play with heavy gauge strings, and the deep full resonance and sustain of that guitar is amazing. It's great for chugging heavy-ass riffs, and you can solo on it and it gets this deep full tone.

I have an alder bodied Jackson... and it's a different beast. It's got a lot of sizzle and attack. Alder has an obvious difference... but I wish my Jackson was mahogany
Quote by chryee090130
thanx for the info
keep it comming, is one more sturdy or more expensive then the others

Regular mahogany and alder blanks are close enough in price that it shouldn't be a deciding factor. For example, www.mammothguitars.com carries mahogany blanks for $60 and alder blanks for $50. One difference is weight - alder is a less dense wood. That could be an important consideration.

Regards,

Rob
go to warmoth.com they have a whole write up on what woods make what sounds and are best suited for which styles.
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
Quote by kanamvar32
both are good depending on the pickups you use. bright pickups like EMG 81/85s are more balanced in mahogany since the wood is pretty bassy while the pickups are trebly. Alder is brighter than mahogany so bright pickups in a bright wood might be too much. However, pickups like BKP Warpig, which is bassy as hell, work great in alder.

yeah, what kind of idiot would put bright pickups in alder, oh wait, leo fender, hahha im jsut kidding i know what you meant
I wouldn't say one is better than the other. They sound different, and both are suitable for metal. I personally prefer mahogany guitars since they sound better with EMGs, and EMGs are necessary to get the sound I want. But I've had alder guitars and I liked them just fine. They just didn't give me 'my' sound.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Check out Warmoth's list of woods you can build a guitar out of, it's pretty comprehensive.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard